• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    According to my calculations, to handle an approximately 100k permit demand, it would take about 120 courtrooms running nonstop doing nothing but carry permit hearings all day.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    According to my calculations, to handle an approximately 100k permit demand, it would take about 120 courtrooms running nonstop doing nothing but carry permit hearings all day.
    Hence why that operation shouldn’t be through the courts, but through an office that does nothing but permits all day

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I need to go to New Jersey like I need to go to New York and California. Lol
    Lots of places I'd like to see in the daylight(as I currently travel through at night) in NY and NJ... but I refuse to patronize those states until I can travel through them legally carrying a firearm. Never been to Cali... and same same...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I understand Mr & Mrs Clandestine's reasons .

But for the majority of the rest of us , New Jersey can be totally bypassed .

By stretching from the Atlantic to Lake Erie , you've got to transverse New York State to get to Maine or New Hampshire .

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    No experience with that county, but the consensus seems to be to keep an eye on the money order. If it's been cashed/deposited then the court has your application.

The Superior Court sent me a letter on the 6th, I received it on the 8th, and my MO showed cashed on the 9th.

Please let us know your timeline and anything different you experienced throughout the NJ process.

The money order cashed does indicate the court has it.

But it doesn’t indicate anything about processing.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013

It’s not that I’m concerned about. It’s judges who keep holding permit apps “waiting for guidance.” Which we all know is a steaming pile of Bravo Sierra. I’ve heard of judges who simply don’t want to sign permits and just leave the apps to pile up. What redress do you have against them? None. There are courts turning this around in a week or three.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    It’s not that I’m concerned about. It’s judges who keep holding permit apps “waiting for guidance.” Which we all know is a steaming pile of Bravo Sierra. I’ve heard of judges who simply don’t want to sign permits and just leave the apps to pile up. What redress do you have against them? None. There are courts turning this around in a week or three.
    The statute says the police chief or superintendent has 60 days to make a call but afterward it goes to the county Superior Court. At this point there doesn't appear to be any statutory time frame on issuance:

If the application is not approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent within 60 days of filing, it shall be deemed to have been approved, unless the applicant agrees to an extension of time in writing.

d. Issuance by Superior Court; fee. If the application has been approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent, as the case may be, the applicant shall forthwith present it to the Superior Court of the county in which the applicant resides, or to the Superior Court in any county where he intends to carry a handgun, in the case of a nonresident or employee of an armored car company. The court shall issue the permit to the applicant if, but only if, it is satisfied that the applicant is a person of good character who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in subsection c. of N.J.S.2C:58-3, that he is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns, and that he has a justifiable need to carry a handgun in accordance with the provisions of subsection c. of this section. The court may at its discretion issue a limited-type permit which would restrict the applicant as to the types of handguns he may carry and where and for what purposes the handguns may be carried. At the time of issuance, the applicant shall pay to the county clerk of the county where the permit was issued a permit fee of $20.

Obviously they can't hold them indefinitely, but knowing NJ what'll happen is you'll need to sue them and all of a sudden your permit will arrive so you no longer have standing. It seems that the court is basically duplicating the work of the police chief (or superintendent). In the past the court would deny a lot of applicants based on justifiable need even after the chief approved the justifiable need.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

File a writ of Mandamus

See how the judge likes that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Permit approved. It’s going to feel strange carrying in this state. But here we go.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    My county is issuing permits with no restrictions. Unfortunately you have to carry the order with you and it’s restricted to the gun. I need to go qualify with 2 more. Better than nothing but not ideal.

Aug 22, 2022
    NYC
    Congratulations. I'm waiting to hear back(applied as a non resident in Totawa)3 months and counting still no money order cashed. how where you notified?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom