• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    UPDATED 11/7/2022: Permits IN HAND (103 Days total)

TIMELINE:

➡️Attempted to find a New Jersey Permit to Carry Training Class somewhere in New Jersey: 7/12/22 Attempt was unsuccessful. None of the New Jersey Instructors or Ranges I contacted would let me attend a Training Class in New Jersey without a NJ FID Card.

➡️Applied Online/FARS for NJ FID Card: 7/12/22

➡️Scheduled Appointment for Permit to Carry Course & Qualification with NRA Instructor: 7/18/22

➡️Scheduled Appointment via email for Permit Submission @Woodstown NJSP Barracks: 7/25/22

➡️Scheduled Appointment online for Identogo Fingerprints: 7/25/22

➡️Completed NJ Permit to Carry Training in Maryland: 7/27/22 by NRA Pistol Instructor

➡️Identogo Fingerprints @ PA Location: 7/28/22

➡️Submitted Application @ Woodstown NJSP Barracks: 7/28/22
    3 - Notarized Permit to Carry Applications
    1 - Notarized Pistol Ownership Affidavit
    1 - Training & Qualification Certificate
    1 - Mental Health Form
    4 - 1.5"x1.5" Passport Photos
    1 - USPS Money Order
    1 - Receipt for Identogo Fingerprints

➡️References Called: 8/11/22

➡️Fingerprints Received: Unknown

➡️Background Check Completed: Unknown

➡️PTC Application was completed and "Snail Mailed": 8/15/22 Per NJSP Trooper @ Woodstown Barracks

➡️Letter Received from Salem County New Jersey Superior Court: 9/8/22 Letter has Hearing Date & Time. Must appear IN PERSON at Salem NJ County Superior Courthouse.

➡️Money Order Deposited/Cashed: 9/9/22

➡️FID Issued/Me: 10/2/22 (83 Days)

➡️FID Issued/Wife:10/5/22 (86 Days)

➡️IN PERSON Court Date: 10/5/22, 9 A.M., Salem County NJ Superior Court (70 Days)
    There we're approximately 40 people in court for a Permit to Carry. 2 Applicants participated via zoom. The Judge was on a mission due to all of the applicants but was kind and professional.

➡️Permit Approved: 10/5/22 (70 Days)

➡️ Received Approved Court Order and COPIES of Permits (No Restrictions/Permits do list the handguns we qualified with): 10/22/22 (87 Days)

➡️NJSP to called for Permit Pick Up: 11/7/22 - Permit can be picked up at any time 24/7 (103 Days)

➡️Permit Picked Up: 12/7/22 (103 Days)

Important Note: Non Resident Applicants may have to make 2-5 trips to NJ complete the Carry Permit process.
    1) Identogo Fingerprints (Fingerprints don't have to be taken in the State of NJ.)
    2) NJ Carry Permit Training Class & Qualification
    (Training/Qualification does not have to be taken in the State of NJ.)
    3) Trip to NJ to submit the Application
    4) Trip to NJ appear in Superior Court
    (Not all Counties/Judges require a Court Appearance.)
    5) Trip to pickup the Carry Permit (Judge may not issue the permit on your Court Date.)

My Wife and I have successfully submitted and received a NJ Permits to Carry a Handgun and our New Jersey Firearms Owners I.D. Cards. The information below will evolve as NJ changes the process. Nothing listed below is guaranteed because New Jersey Legislature and the NJ State Police will be changing the process and requirements.

I have been keeping track of the info as I go, so I thought I would share it with MDS.

For what it's worth, I don't think Fees, Classes, Live Fire tests, Fingerprints, Photos, Notaries, and Trips all over creation should be required to carry a firearm. I'm not doing this because I support or agree with the process. I want to carry my gun in as many places and possible and Carry Permits can help keep you out of jail.

I contacted Gun for Hire Shooting Range in NJ about attending one of their NJ CCW Classes. They told me I can't take their class without a NJ Firearms ID Card (FID). I thought it was just their policy, but they also told me I MUST have a NJ FID to apply for a NJ Carry Permit. Every range and Trainer in NJ I have spoken to said the same thing. Thankfully they were all wrong.

The NJSP does issue FID's to non residents and dual residents, so my wife and I applied for our FID's in case we ever need it. Per the NJSP, a FID is not required for a Non Resident to apply for a NJ Carry Permit. FYI, the FID Alone will run you $62.45 to $101.45 depending on where you get your IdentoGo Livescan fingerprints done. I included SEPARATE instructions on how to apply for a Non resident NJ FID below.

If you plan to spend any amount of time in NJ, I believe getting a FID as soon as possible is smart for several reasons. 1) Once the NJ Black Rifle Ban is struck down, it will be legal to take your "un-neutered" modern day muskets (AR's) into NJ, and the FID may be necessary for possession in NJ. 2) When NJ changes the "Training Requirements" to apply for a Carry Permit, it may be necessary to take training in NJ, by NJ approved Instructors. Instructors in NJ wont train you without a FID. 3) A NJ FID is required if you want to purchase ammunition in New Jersey.

I thought a detailed post may be useful for those interested in the Non Resident NJ Carry Permit Process.

NJ is now our 11th permit to Carry. We have permits for MD, D.C., PA, UT, FL, ME, RI, NH, CT, and NJ. We are in process for MA, but that one will take at least another 4-6 weeks before our permit arrives.

Non Resident New Jersey

Permit is good for 2 years.
    Permit Instructions.
    https://www.nj.gov/oag/njsp/firearms/pdf/Permit_To_Carry_Instructions.pdf

NJ A.G. Directive.
    https://www.nj.gov/oag/dcj/agguide/directives/ag-Directive-2022-07_Directive Clarifying Requirements For Carrying Of Firearms In Public.pdf

Hollow Point Laws: Most Hollow Points are ILLEGAL to carry in NJ.
    See: https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

Woodstown NJ State Police Barracks Application Instructions are included below, but if this isn't the closest Barracks to you, then don't use those instructions.
    STEP 1 Fill out online PDF Permit Application and print (4) copies.

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sp-642.pdf (MAKE SURE ITS REVISION 7/22)
    Keep 1 copy for your own records. Some applicants plan to be brave and carry on day 91.
    See: NJ Rev Stat § 2C:58-4 (2021) quote from paragraph "c. If the application is not approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent within 60 days of filing, it shall be deemed to have been approved, unless the applicant agrees to an extension of time in writing." After that the court has 30 days to approve or deny.
    FID (Box 15) put N/A, unless you have a FID#
    Municipal Code on the application will be a specific # of the NJSP Barracks closest to you. You may have to call or email the Barracks to get the proper #. My closest NJSP Barracks is Woodstown NJ, and the Municipal Code is 1709. Yours may be different based on the Barracks closest to you. If you can't get this information leave it blank and add it when you submit your application to the NJSP.
    Three (3) references are REQUIRED. The references must sign each copy of the application with ink. This may require shipping them back and forth depending on where they live. References CAN reside in ANY State, but they CAN NOT be related to you by blood or marriage. They do not have to be present when the application is notarized. The NJSP will call your references. If your references don't answer your application will be delayed.
    Proof of Identification and Citizenship. You must supply proof of identification and Citizenship. (Driver’s license and birth certificate or Passport / naturalization paperwork / green card).
    Some may tell you a NJ FID (Firearms Identification Card) is necessary to apply for a NJ Carry Permit. That may be true for a NJ Resident, but a FID is not required for a Non Resident to apply for a NJ Permit to Carry. If you want to get a FID, I have included instructions below.
    STEP 2 Complete and print one (1) Mental Health Release. (Must be Form SP066 Revision 7/19)

https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/sp-066_201907.pdf
    For Investigating Agency put NJSP and the Barracks (Mine was “NJSP Woodstown”)
    DON’T sign the SP066 forms unless the NJSP directs you to do so. My NJSP barracks told me to sign the forms and use my wife as the witness. At some NJSP Barracks, the forms get signed by you and the NJSP when you drop off your Carry Permit Application.
    STEP 3 $50.00 Money Order Only for payment.

Made payable to “Treasurer, State of New Jersey (Address for NJ Treasurer is not necessary)
    You MUST put your FULL name and address on the money order.
    Use this to track your money order: https://tools.usps.com/money-orders.htm
    STEP 4 Get four (4) 1.5”x1.5” Passport Photos. (Request Argentine Passport size or 38mm x 38mm)

Put your Full Name and DOB on the back of each Passport Photo.
    Do not attach the passport photos to your NJ Permit Applications.
    Put the Pictures in an envelope and clip the envelope to the application.
    Put Your FULL name, address, SBI #, and Case # on the envelope.
    STEP 5 Written Proof of Firearm Ownership of Handguns you intend to Carry:

Ownership can be a purchase receipt or permit to purchase or a notarized letter of ownership listing the make, model, and serial number of the handgun(s) you intend to carry in New Jersey. You only need one copy of this form and this form must be notarized. I attached a form I created if you want to use it:
    I HAVE ATTACHED A FORM BELOW IF YOU WANT TO USE IT AS A TEMPLATE (PRINT 1)
    STEP 6 Class to show familiarity with safe handling and use of Handguns.

You only need one proof of training form.
    The NJSP does not list specifics as to what classes are acceptable, so I have listed the NJ Statute below.
    What constitutes safe handling of a firearm under New Jersey law?
    Safe handling of a firearm is an objective standard met by meeting the requirements of N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(b).
    Each applicant shall demonstrate a thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns by indicating in the space provided therefore on the application form, and on any sworn attachments thereto, any relevant information. Thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns shall be evidenced by ONE of the following:
    1) Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6j; (I HAVE ATTACHED TWO VERSIONS OF THE TRAINING FORM BELOW IF YOU WANT TO USE THEM AS A TEMPLATE - PRINT 1)
    2) Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor; or (I HAVE ATTACHED THE TRAINING CERTIFICATE BELOW IF YOU WANT TO USE IT AS A TEMPLATE - PRINT 1)
    3) Passage of any test in this State's laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor.
    Any/All Qualifications must be within six (6) months of application and must also be obtained from a Certified Firearms Instructor. The written certification must include the Instructor’s name and certification number, make, model, caliber and serial number of each handgun(s) you intend to carry in New Jersey.
    2C:58-4. a. Scope and duration of authority. Any person who holds a valid permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to this section shall be authorized to carry a handgun in all parts of this State, except as prohibited by subsection e. of N.J.S.2C:39-5. One permit shall be sufficient for ALL HANDGUNS OWNED BY THE HOLDER thereof, but the permit shall apply only to a handgun carried by the actual and legal holder of the permit . Criminal Code 2C58-4 (a) States one permit covers all guns owned by the permit holder. However Under NJ Administrative code which is 13:54-2.4 it states. You need to show proficiency and qualification scores with the handgun(s) you intend to carry.
    STEP 7 Notarize all 3 Permit Applications and of your Written Proof of Firearms Ownership Forms.

NJSP may require RESIDENT Applications to have a raised notary stamp must be raised, but NON RESIDENTS Applications only need a INK Notary Stamp.
    STEP 8 Call or Email to schedule an appointment to submit your Carry Permit Application at your closest NJ State Police Barracks.

My Barracks wants you to email them and schedule an appointment to turn in the application.
    Njspwoodstownfirearms@njsp.org is the email for Woodstown Barracks.
    I will add additional Barracks phone/email information when possible
    You must submit your application in person at this time.
    The NJSP MAY ask you to have your fingerprints SCHEDULED before dropping off your application. If they request this, be sure you have this info for IdentoGo:
    1) Service Code for Carry Permit Fingerprinting: 2F164B
    2) Originating Agency # (ORI): The NJ Barracks you are applying at can supply this # or you can find it here: https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/ori-list.shtml
    3) Contributor Case #(Use the applicant's first name initial, last name, month, day, and year of application submission date. Example: John Doe applied on Jan 8, 2022. Contributor Case #: JDoe010822).
    Print Fingerprint Appointment or Receipt to show the NJ State Police when you submit your application.
    STEP 9 Go to IdentoGo and schedule fingerprints for Carry Permit Application. https://www.identogo.com/

You can ONLY use Identogo for Livescan.
    Verify correct Service Code #, Originating Agency #, and Contributor's Case # for Carry Permit fingerprints from the NJSP once you drop the application off.
    Fill Out form with Service Code #, Originating Agency Number, and Contributor's Case #.
    The Service Code for Carry Permit Fingerprinting should be: 2F164B.
    ORI # will be the NJSP Barracks closest to you.
    https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/ori-list.shtml (excluding toll roads, stations on the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Atlantic City Expressway). My Closest NJSP Barracks is Woodstown NJ,
    The ORI # for me was NJNSP3200.
    Contributor Case #(Use the applicant's first name initial, last name, month, day, and year of application submission date. Example: John Doe applied on Jan 8, 2022. Contributor Case #: JDoe010822).
    Fingerprint results must be received within ninety (90) days of application.
    Schedule and Appointment nearest to you.
    Get Livescan completed and pay $61.00. (Add $39 for IdentoGo not taken in NJ). Get two copies of the payment receipt in case the NJSP wants one.
    Put your Passport Photos, Money Order, and Fingerprint Receipt in an envelope so they don't get lost.
    Processing time for Carry Permit can vary between 1 – 6 months.

The County I applied to is mandating an IN PERSON appearance at the Salem County Superior Court. You may be able to attend your hearing via zoom but you will have to contact the Clerk of the Judge to inquire.

Salem County Gun/Firearm Judge Information:
    Presiding Judge, Salem Linda L. Lawhun, 856-878-5050 ext 15808, 856-878-5051, Salem County Courthouse, 92 Market Street, 2nd Floor, Salem, NJ 08079

If you have a court appearance at Salem County Superior Court, you may have trouble finding safe parking. My advice is to park in the parking lot of Salem County Clerk's Office & Family Dollar and walk approximately one block to the courthouse.

You will NOT receive your permit on the day of the hearing. You have to wait for the NJSP to contacts you. I'm not sure if I have to pickup I person of if they will mail it to me. If I have to return to get the permit that means 3 trips to NJ are required if applying to NJSP Woodstown/Salem County.

Permit will be larger than other permits and may not fit in a regular wallet pocket/slot unless you carefully trim it. You will have to laminate it to make it durable.

Permit MAY have restrictions which limit you to carrying ONLY the MAKE/MODEL/CALIBER/SERIAL# of the handgun/s you qualified with. This varies from county/town to county/town.

Travel/expenses for class/live fire, livescan, and 3 trips to New Jersey (1 application drop off, 2 court appearance, and 3 permit pickup)

Live fire qualification ammunition cost

Permit is Good for 2 years
    You WILL NOT receive an automatic Renewal Application. Apply 90 days prior to expiration.
    SAME PROCESS AS INITIAL PERMIT
    Processing time can vary between 3 - 6 months.

Non Resident New Jersey Carry FID

***THIS PROCESS WILL CHANGE WHEN THE NJ STATE POLICE STARTS REQUIRING A PHOTO & THUMB PRINT FOR THE FID

STEP 1 Apply for a FID.

State Police

NJ State Police - Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit
    www.njportal.com
    www.njportal.com
    ORI # will be the NJSP Barracks closest to you.
    https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/ori-list.shtml (excluding toll roads, stations on the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Atlantic City Expressway). My closest NJSP Barracks is Woodstown NJ, The ORI # was NJNSP3200 WOODSTOWN.
    Select Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card l, next you will be required to take the mandatory FID Training. It's a 26 page slideshow. Once the slideshow is complete you can continue to your Application. (Pick GOOD references because the NJSP WILL email your reference online survey or call them) $5
    You will receive an email with a Service Code #, Originating Agency Number, and Contributor's Case #. Use that information to fill out the IdentoGo Livescan Registration.
    STEP 2 Go to IdentoGo Livescan: https://uenroll.identogo.com/workflows/2F164B/locator/location (You can ONLY use this company for Livescan)

Fill out the form and schedule and appointment nearest to you.
    Get Livescan completed and pay $61. (Add $39 for IdentoGo not taken in NJ)
    NOTE: You cannot use the fingerprints from your NJ Carry Permit for the FID. They are separate codes.
    STEP 3 Wait for FID. This can take 45-90 days for Non Residents.

If you are approved, the NJSP will email your FID Card. You only have a small window to access the portal and print it. Download a copy in case you lose the one you printed.

If you print it in the size they submit it won't fit in your wallet. I reduced the size to 77% and laminated mine to make it durable.

Travel/Expenses for Livescan

Attachments

• NJSP Handgun Ownership Affidavit.pdf
      327.7 KB · Views: 139
    • sp-066_201907.pdf
      580 KB · Views: 105
    • NJSP Qualification Form B27 Target.pdf
      628.4 KB · Views: 105
    • NJSP Qualification Form FBI Q Target.pdf
      624.9 KB · Views: 113
    • NJSP Handgun Training Certificate.pdf
      608.8 KB · Views: 131
    • NJSP Woodstown Permit To Carry Instructions.pdf
      461.8 KB · Views: 116
    Last edited by a moderator:

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    From what you have posted about your training, you might be good. This article gives a lot of good info. But I wouldn’t doubt they have, or put in, a NJ specific element. With your NRA training maybe you can find someone to add in any additional course specifically.

Good luck, with it being only $50, and traveling through there from time to time, I hope to eventually apply.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    From what you have posted about your training, you might be good. This article gives a lot of good info. But I wouldn’t doubt they have, or put in, a NJ specific element. With your NRA training maybe you can find someone to add in any additional course specifically.

Good luck, with it being only $50, and traveling through there from time to time, I hope to eventually apply.

I was hopeful my training would be sufficient but the live fire portion NJ calls out seems "grey". I may be misinterpreting it all.

I'm concerned about getting a denial so I am being cautious.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I was hopeful my training would be sufficient but the live fire portion NJ calls out seems "grey". I may be misinterpreting it all.

I'm concerned about getting a denial so I am being cautious.
    I had the qualifications a few days ago, and now can’t find them. But it was basically 50 rounds from each registered firearm, FBI Q target, starting close, moving back progressively to 25 yards, with 80% score. I’ll post if I find it.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A friend of mine just got certified as an NRA CCW trainer. He said the class is good in all 50 states.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Here you go,
    “This is not a beginner course! You will be required to demonstrate safety, familiarity, and accuracy. It is pass or fail.
    – No holster needed
    – All shooting from the ready position
    – 50 rounds per firearm
    – FBI Q target
    – 24 rounds at 7 yards
    – 14 rounds at 10 yards
    – 6 rounds at 15 yards
    – 6 rounds at 25 yards
    For a total of 50 rounds. Must hit at least 40 rounds out of 50 (80%)”

Talk about an additional undue burden of a right. You have to purchase your weapon, get training, register and attempt to qualify with that weapon, before knowing if you will even be allowed to carry it. How many people are going to jump through hoops, pay for the privilege to do so, and figure on being denied anyways? Plus submit to mental health evaluation, giving them social media account info, and more.

Edit: I can see some people having issues with some of the little point and shoot pocket pistols like the LCP with this;
    “6 rounds at 25 yards”

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Here you go,
    “This is not a beginner course! You will be required to demonstrate safety, familiarity, and accuracy. It is pass or fail.
    – No holster needed
    – All shooting from the ready position
    – 50 rounds per firearm
    – FBI Q target
    – 24 rounds at 7 yards
    – 14 rounds at 10 yards
    – 6 rounds at 15 yards
    – 6 rounds at 25 yards
    For a total of 50 rounds. Must hit at least 40 rounds out of 50 (80%)”

Talk about an additional undue burden of a right. You have to purchase your weapon, get training, register and attempt to qualify with that weapon, before knowing if you will even be allowed to carry it. How many people are going to jump through hoops, pay for the privilege to do so, and figure on being denied anyways? Plus submit to mental health evaluation, giving them social media account info, and more.

Edit: I can see some people having issues with some of the little point and shoot pocket pistols like the LCP with this;
    “6 rounds at 25 yards”
    I'll have to look up my MD and DC live fire. I can't recall what the distances were. I shot perfect scores.

I'll probably have to reshoot live fire because I no longer have the guns I qualed with.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I recently e-mailed the NJ State Police to inquire about trainings under this part of their law as an alternative to NJ's specific test:

NJ Admin Code 13:54-2.4(b)(2): Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor.

If/when I hear back, I will post the NJSP response here.

UPDATE 7/15/2022 - This email has been disavowed by the NJSP

Per this leaked email from the NJSP, just range time is needed.
    292889956_10221819694537831_545833196811669336_n.thumb.jpg.9ffe5143c622ede30b82de4ee8b23fdd.jpg
    292603207_10221819695617858_8010276651510071455_n.thumb.jpg.5924f78d8bda134df8d088d29d55213f.jpg

Last edited:

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Update 7/12/2022:

I contacted Gun for Hire in NJ about attending one of their NJ CCW Qual/ Classes. They told me I can't take their Qual/Class without a NJ Firearms ID Card (FID). I thought it was just their policy, but they also said I have to have a FID to apply for a NJ Carry Permit.

Based on what I have read, the NJ State Police does not issue FID's to non residents.

I hope that range is wrong about the FID

I guess I need to keep looking for training.

Trying to get a class/qual at TSS in Avondale PA but they are booked up.
    Looks like you can get the FID

• Out of State residents who are NOT dual residents, MUST apply to a NJSP ORI

Good luck sir!!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Looks like you can get the FID

• Out of State residents who are NOT dual residents, MUST apply to a NJSP ORI

Good luck sir!!
    I'm tracking the process now. Looks like this will add about $105.00 to the process.

$5.00 FID
    $61.00 Livescan
    $39.00 Out of State Livescan Fee

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom