• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I got my NJ firearm (and ammo) purchase ID card some weeks back. I just got this email about additional online training:

Firearms Applicant,

On July 5, 2022, New Jersey Assembly Bill 4370 was passed effective immediately. Part of this bill requires initial firearms applicants to satisfactorily complete a course of instruction approved by the Superintendent of the New Jersey State Police in the lawful and safe handling and storage of firearms. You are receiving this email because you submitted for an initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Permit(s) to purchase a handgun between July 5, 2022, and September 13, 2022, but before the training module was implemented into the Firearms Registration and Application System (FARS). Please review the training module here https://www.njportal.com/njsp/Fars/Home/Help to ensure compliance with New Jersey Assembly Bill 4370.

After completion of the training module, please fill-up Form SP-681 https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/sp-681.pdf and turn it in to your investigating police department.

For any questions on this, please reach out to your investigating police department.

(FYI Mailing addresses:
    https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/ori-list.shtml )
    I got that too. We applied for an FID before the FARS (Online Portal) had the slide show for training.

9mmkungfu

Dec 26, 2021
    FID code is 2F164B and that seems to be the same code for carry permit fingerprinting. Are you sure the same prints can't be used? What is the other code?
    Just wanted to follow-up here.

Despite submitting prints for the FID and using the same service code, they did say new prints were needed for the PTC.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Just wanted to follow-up here.

Despite submitting prints for the FID and using the same service code, they did say new prints were needed for the PTC.

Under the new law that is no longer necessary.

The permits will also now be issued by the chief of police (Superintendent of state of police for you nonresidents) and will be via a web portal. I am assuming it will be a PDF sent by email just like the FID.

9mmkungfu

Dec 26, 2021
    Under the new law that is no longer necessary.

The permits will also now be issued by the chief of police (Superintendent of state of police for you nonresidents) and will be via a web portal. I am assuming it will be a PDF sent by email just like the FID.
    Is there another thread to read up more on the changes?

Edit: found it here

"The chief police officer or the superintendent shall obtain the fingerprints of the applicant and shall have them compared with any and all records of fingerprints in the municipality and county in which the applicant resides and also the records of the State Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, provided that an applicant for a handgun purchase permit who possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same licensing authority for which [he] the applicant was previously fingerprinted, and who provides other reasonably satisfactory proof of [his] the applicant’s identity, need not be fingerprinted again; however, the chief police officer or the superintendent shall proceed to investigate the application to determine whether or not the applicant has become subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this chapter."

Last edited:

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    I emailed the Woodstown barracks yesterday to get an appointment to bring in my paperwork. Here is their response, "you can drop off monday - friday between the hours of 8a and 4p"
    Looks like no appointment needed. I have to say that my interactions with the Woodstown State Police Station have been great. They respond quickly and professionally

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I emailed the Woodstown barracks yesterday to get an appointment to bring in my paperwork. Here is their response, "you can drop off monday - friday between the hours of 8a and 4p"
    Looks like no appointment needed. I have to say that my interactions with the Woodstown State Police Station have been great. They respond quickly and professionally
    Your process should be smoother than mine since the courts are now removed.

I'm glad they eliminated the appointments for application drop off as well.

Good luck my friend.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    Your process should be smoother than mine since the courts are now removed.

I'm glad they eliminated the appointments for application drop off as well.

Good luck my friend.
    Thank you for all the help you have given to show us the way to navigate through the maze of laws and regulations. Your tips helped me greatly.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you for all the help you have given to show us the way to navigate through the maze of laws and regulations. Your tips helped me greatly.
    Makes me quite happy to know the post has helped.

I'm crossing my fingers that you're approved quickly. Without the courts they should be calling applicants to pickup their permit in under 60 days.

If you don't mind sharing, what other permits are you going for?

Last edited:

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    Makes me quite happy to know the post has helped.

I'm crossing my fingers that your approved quickly. Without the courts they should be calling applicants to pickup their permit in under 60 days.

If you don't mind sharing, what other permits are you going for?
    Thank you! I am happy to share.

Along with NJ, I am going for CT,MA, ME and RI.
    This weekend, I am going to a Range in MA to take their course. We are making a trip of it by going and touring Boston...I mean Bah-Ston.( did I say that right?) . I want to stand at Bunker (Breed's) hill, and shake my fist at the English. lol

For RI, I went with the Foster PD. Handgunlaw.us has data on one person's application with them. My process was easier. Foster does not require notarized reference letters, only a list of 3 references. Their process is exacting and they spell it out in detail of what you have to do. The hardest part was qualifying at 25 yards on the Army L target. Most instructors ask, "what is an Army L target?" I found them online and it was easier to buy 100 of them than just a few. I figured that I would use them and ALSO when I qualified, I had to bring the target. As you know, they allow you to carry any caliber equal to or smaller than what you qualify with. I used a full size pistol in .40 S&W. If I had a .45, I would have used that. Even with a full size handgun, you are right about it being hard for a casual shooter. I practiced ahead of time and did fine.

The NJ live-fire qualification was a challenge as well as you have to qualify with what you carry and I carry an iron sighted micro compact pistol. Luckily there are multiple distances starting close and ending up at distance.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you! I am happy to share.

Along with NJ, I am going for CT,MA, ME and RI.
    This weekend, I am going to a Range in MA to take their course. We are making a trip of it by going and touring Boston...I mean Bah-Ston.( did I say that right?) . I want to stand at Bunker (Breed's) hill, and shake my fist at the English. lol

For RI, I went with the Foster PD. Handgunlaw.us has data on one person's application with them. My process was easier. Foster does not require notarized reference letters, only a list of 3 references. Their process is exacting and they spell it out in detail of what you have to do. The hardest part was qualifying at 25 yards on the Army L target. Most instructors ask, "what is an Army L target?" I found them online and it was easier to buy 100 of them than just a few. I figured that I would use them and ALSO when I qualified, I had to bring the target. As you know, they allow you to carry any caliber equal to or smaller than what you qualify with. I used a full size pistol in .40 S&W. If I had a .45, I would have used that. Even with a full size handgun, you are right about it being hard for a casual shooter. I practiced ahead of time and did fine.

The NJ live-fire qualification was a challenge as well as you have to qualify with what you carry and I carry an iron sighted micro compact pistol. Luckily there are multiple distances starting close and ending up at distance.
    Very nice. We did the same when we went to MA.

I'll have to look up the Foster RI instructions and add them to my other post here. Options are a good thing.

You are going to have as many permits as I do :)

Nice work my friend

Aug 22, 2022
    NYC
    Wanted to post an update, applied 7/12/2022 and still waiting. I guess at least now it's just up to the state police now that the courts are out of the process.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    I keep hearing a voice in my head that says, "Ya shoulda listened to Chad and waited"...

Went to Woodstown barracks in Pilesgrove, NJ (5 hour round trip) to drop off my paperwork yesterday. SURPRISE!!! Your triple forms are obsolete. You must use a the new form. Oh and , by the way, the new price of the permit is $200.00, not $50.
    The new form came out Monday 1/23. The trooper said that he heard some of the already submitted applications that are not yet approved will be rejected too. The first thing he asked before he looked at my paperwork was if the application form and references were on the same page. Application on the front and references on the back. Apparently, this is an issue.

the new form is the same, only different...

The changes are as follows:
    • submit 1 notarized copy of the form, not 3 like before
    • you have to have 4 references. Yes 4!
    • you only need to supply 2 passport size photos.
    • Fee is now $200
    I attached the new form as well as the rules sheet. The trooper said that they went to this form because "they took the Judge out of the process". That trooper said you only need two passport sized 2"X2" photos, but if you look carefully, you will see that the form still requires the four 1.5" photos. Also the trooper said he needs a money order for $200.00...However, the form says you need a $50 money order payable to the state Treasurer, AND a $150.00 money order payable to the "municipality".

I sent an email to the trooper asking for clarification.

I have to say that the Woodstown barracks has been professional and forthcoming with everything. their responses have been timely. I like dealing with them.

Attachments

• Blank NJ PTC_Updated_Application_20230120 (1).pdf
      648.7 KB · Views: 66
    • NJSP_New rules_sheet.pdf
      103.4 KB · Views: 63

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I keep hearing a voice in my head that says, "Ya shoulda listened to Chad and waited"...

Went to Woodstown barracks in Pilesgrove, NJ (5 hour round trip) to drop off my paperwork yesterday. SURPRISE!!! Your triple forms are obsolete. You must use a the new form. Oh and , by the way, the new price of the permit is $200.00, not $50.
    The new form came out Monday 1/23. The trooper said that he heard some of the already submitted applications that are not yet approved will be rejected too. The first thing he asked before he looked at my paperwork was if the application form and references were on the same page. Application on the front and references on the back. Apparently, this is an issue.

• Fee is now $200
    I attached the new form as well as the rules sheet. The trooper said that they went to this form because "they took the Judge out of the process". That trooper said you only need two passport sized 2"X2" photos, but if you look carefully, you will see that the form still requires the four 1.5" photos. Also the trooper said he needs a money order for $200.00...However, the form says you need a $50 money order payable to the state Treasurer, AND a $150.00 money order payable to the "municipality".

I have to say that the Woodstown barracks has been professional and forthcoming with everything. their responses have been timely. I like dealing with them.
    Sorry about your problems my friend. Their recent changes really messed up things even more than they were.

Eventually it will be an online application. Hopefully that makes the process less of a hassle.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    Went back up to NJ today to put in my application. This time, it was accepted.

I got there a little after 8. I was buzzed in through the door and waited a few minutes for the officer to appear.

I have to say again that my interaction with Woodstown has been great. They respond quickly to emails and are helpful.

When he came in the room, he recognized me from Wednesday. That broke the ice a little bit. He looked over my info and said that I was all set. I stated a conversation about the application process. I first thanked him for the fast responses and guidance in the process. He said that things have changed quickly and he is doing his best to keep up. He told me that there are only 2 officers in his station that have to process all of the applications and that his station is doing 60% of the state's workload. Due to their location in NJ. I told him that if I had known that, I would have offered to go to another station, but the rules as I read them require me to go to his barracks.

He said the process should be faster now because there is no judge involved. He said a judge added at least a month or 2 to the process. The application still has to go to Trenton though and he could not say how much faster things would go.

I thanked him for his time and left.

All in all a pleasant experience for me.

Although appointments to visit are no longer necessary, One thing that I did that I would recommend to anyone is to notify them by email ahead of time that you are going to be there on such and such a day and an approximate time. I did this yesterday just to be sure and to their credit, I got another quick response that said that they would be there. It was a 5 hour round trip for me and I would have been miffed if they were not available for some reason.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County

• Fee is now $200

So looking at the instructions, they aren't asking for "Proof of ownership" anymore?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If one is an NRA instructor himself, can one submit his own qual certification?
    He hasn't been on the board for a long time. I don't think you will get a reply.

Personally I wouldn't try what you are suggesting because could appear to be unethical.

Not saying that you would falsify the Qualification. Just saying it's easy for the NJSP to make that assumption

You are free to try it but I wouldn't be surprised if they reject it. NJ is very thorough and will reject over the most insignificant things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom