• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    This. I’d like to get NY and NJ out of principle as an F-you to the libs
    This.....I still have plenty of extended family in NY that I visit every now and then. However, one of the many shenanigans with their CCW permits is that it's only offered to NY state residents unless one is employed in the state....does the Scotus ruling invalidate that restriction (meaning they would have to accept out of state applicants?)...or is that something else that would also have to be litigated?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    This.....I still have plenty of extended family in NY that I visit every now and then. However, one of the many shenanigans with their CCW permits is that it's only offered to NY state residents unless one is employed in the state....does the Scotus ruling invalidate that restriction (meaning they would have to accept out of state applicants?)...or is that something else that would also have to be litigated?
    It would have to be litigated, but the 14th Amendment provides for equal protection under the law, and applies that requirement to the states. So it would be a 14th amendment claim for deprival of equal protection of 2A rights, rather than a straight 2A case.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    MD needs to relegatethe authority down to the Sheriffs Office in each County

Nobody

Ah NOOOOO thank you! One county over from me in NC the sheriff is politically delaying all permits based on “lack of resources”. Truth is he’s anti gun and so are his current voters so they defy the 2a.

In my county the sheriff sends a personal email thanking you for getting your permit and outwardly commits to always protecting my 2a. But who’s to say my next sherif will be the same ?

Imagine what Montgomery County would do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I started to give this some thought. Do not expect MD or HI to make a statement anytime soon.

They have active cases related to "good and substantial", and do not want to sabotage their arguments.

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    I started to give this some thought. Do not expect MD or HI to make a statement anytime soon.

They have active cases related to "good and substantial", and do not want to sabotage their arguments.
    They don’t have any arguments. Good and Substantial is unconstitutional per the Supreme Court.

Maryland is RIGHT NOW in violation of a SC order and technically, if you really wanted to get crazy with it, Marylands permitting system is moot at the moment and a no-go. It seems Frosh wants to be in some sort of legal limbo, and this is not going to help his cause at all.

The Maryland State Police must issue carry permits within 90 days, cannot require any G&S reasoning, and they need to get moving with it.

Part of me hopes Frosh tells the SC to F off this week and Thomas/the SC declares Maryland Constitutional Carry next week.

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    They don’t have any arguments. Good and Substantial is unconstitutional per the Supreme Court.

Maryland is RIGHT NOW in violation of a SC order and technically, if you really wanted to get crazy with it, Marylands permitting system is moot at the moment and a no-go. It seems Frosh wants to be in some sort of legal limbo, and this is not going to help his cause at all.

I hope Frosh tells the SC to F off and Thomas declares Maryland Constitutional Carry
    With an ongoing case in the 4th circuit.

I agree MD doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

That's going to be a problem for MD because the 90 day clock is going to run out on a lot of new applications well before there's a decision in Call v Jones.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

The Maryland State Police must issue carry permits within 90 days, cannot require any G&S reasoning, and they need to get moving with it.

Part of me hopes Frosh tells the SC to F off this week and Thomas/the SC declares Maryland Constitutional Carry next week.
    Unfortunately that's not the way SCOTUS works. Enforcement of SCOTUS rulings is left to the lower courts, defendant by defendant, claim by claim.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    With an ongoing case in the 4th circuit.

I agree MD doesn't have a leg to stand on.
    The smartest thing Frosh could do is settle with MSI and the other Call plaintiffs by agreeing that major parts of MD's permitting scheme are unconstitutional and therefore unenforceable. But his ego and dogmatism won't allow it.

OTOH, maybe the delay is due to internal settlement discussions in the AG's office to compare how much is salvageable via settlement bs the risk of lising everything in court. The Everytown embeds in his office must be working 18 hour shifts on drafts.

Last edited:

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    Unfortunately that's not the way SCOTUS works. Enforcement of SCOTUS rulings is left to the lower courts, defendant by defendant, claim by claim.
    I understand. The mass of lawsuits just in this issue would bring the Marylands AG office to a grinding halt.

This Frosh person has to see the writing in the wall, that “regular” Marylanders will be carrying, well, regularly

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That's going to be a problem for MD because the 90 day clock is going to run out on a lot of new applications well before there's a decision in Call v Jones.
    I will carry constitutionally after that.

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    You must be new around here.:D
    He will never be accepting of that. It's not in his core nature.
    Oh yea I am. Originally from MD but moved to FL in 2010 thankfully. I still have family up there though that I see semi-regularly, and the days I come to see them are the only days all year that I “can’t” carry. That’s why I joined this site in 2019, I drove up from FL that time, carrying from Tampa to Tysons Corner the entire way. Figured I should look up Maryland CCW laws and was like “oh shit”

I’ve learned a lot about this Frosh person over the last few days though, what a massive idiot.

Let’s see him defy a SC order, hopefully his ass gets arrested

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Don't you already have a permit because of your profession? If so, will you be keeping that on you or tearing it up and throwing it away?
    No, they were really adversarial last renewal, so I didn't bother this time. They were likely to deny me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom