• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Good luck with that! As seen in the 1st response, most people who ask for hands-on help with hunting are met with cynicism. There are always reasons for people to be hesitant in taking a stranger out into the woods with a loaded weapon to kill stuff, so this seems to be a difficult nut to crack. Best chance is to join a local club and get to know some people, make friends and approach them about this. Hell, I have a friend I work with who offered to take me hunting on the eastern shore, then when it came time he totally flaked. People can be finicky about hunting partners, or maybe he thinks I'm an A-hole. Either way, he offered, I didn't ask. There is a taxidermist that has been referenced here before that focuses on Coyotes. I'll find it and post back the link. Again, good luck!

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    Good luck with that! As seen in the 1st response, most people who ask for hands-on help with hunting are met with cynicism. There are always reasons for people to be hesitant in taking a stranger out into the woods with a loaded weapon to kill stuff, so this seems to be a difficult nut to crack. Best chance is to join a local club and get to know some people, make friends and approach them about this. Hell, I have a friend I work with who offered to take me hunting on the eastern shore, then when it came time he totally flaked. People can be finicky about hunting partners, or maybe he thinks I'm an A-hole. Either way, he offered, I didn't ask. There is a taxidermist that has been referenced here before that focuses on Coyotes. I'll find it and post back the link. Again, good luck!

I just think this is sad I have noticed this with shooting partners also for USPSA matches around here and pretty much anything. It's sad totally different down south in GA, and Alabama. Here people are so scared of other people it's amazingly sad. I will look into the one lead you have given me.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I am also interested in learning how to do this since their population seems to be exploding in the areas I like to hunt ducks and deer (Western MoCo, VA mountains). I'm almost afraid to run my dog out there now and have started seeing them during the daylight hours. They have no fear of humans as far as I can tell. I got my fur bearer stamp this year in case I get an opportunity. I have seen people hunting them on tv by sitting in blinds and playing recordings of wounded small game or blowing whistles that mimic the sound. Beyond that I don't really know what to do and I'm kind of sketched out by the idea of hunting in the dark.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    When I'm camping and use my Primos Alpha Dogg electronic caller around the campfire I can call in groups of coyotes every time to within about 10 yards. When I am hunting and set up my stand, wait about 30 minutes and then call? Nothing. Bastards.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Good luck with that! As seen in the 1st response, most people who ask for hands-on help with hunting are met with cynicism. There are always reasons for people to be hesitant in taking a stranger out into the woods with a loaded weapon to kill stuff, so this seems to be a difficult nut to crack.

Yeah, that what I've seen, too. People are afraid of strangers with a loaded weapon, and understandably so. You really don't know if someone is careful with a weapon, or totally reckless.
    Within the last 15 years, there have been at least 2 incidents where a hunter is killed by a partner. And that's just in MD. And one case is a father-son pair. Really sad.
    As a new hunter myself, perhaps I should take the plunge and apply for the Bethesda Chevy Chase IWLA.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I have never hunted coyotes before and have only trapped 1 so far. I can tell you that they are smart though. You should start by learning to hunt foxes. They can be called in more easily, but can still teach you about cover and scenting you. Use a decoy that moves some, to mimic a wounded prey animal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom