• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Bbl = common gun person abbreviation for Barrel .

In imeadate context ,it must be Marked or Advertised as " HBAR " or ' HEAVY " .

HBAR requirements do not apply for calibers other than .223/ 5.56 .

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Bbl = common gun person abbreviation for Barrel .

In imeadate context ,it must be Marked or Advertised as " HBAR " or ' HEAVY " .

HBAR requirements do not apply for calibers other than .223/ 5.56 .
    Ah, thanks. I looked up HBAR yesterday. Seems to be one of those spec arguments over it: "Too heavy!", "Shoots straighter!" - This could get fun. :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ah, thanks. I looked up HBAR yesterday. Seems to be one of those spec arguments over it: "Too heavy!", "Shoots straighter!" - This could get fun. :)

Nahhh . It's 95% a matter of what's Maryland legal and 5% wanting a Heavy ( or Bull Bbl ) on purpose . ( Made up numbers , but in the correct ballpark )

Since your new to the World of HBAR , I'll offer my oversimplified observations :

A 16 inch HBAR will commonly have offhand balance substantially similar to a 20 inch Government ( A2) profile gun .

As far as absolute weight , the various kitchen sinks hanging off of it has more variable effect , than 3 or 4 oz of actual steel .

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Nahhh . It's 95% a matter of what's Maryland legal and 5% wanting a Heavy ( or Bull Bbl ) on purpose . ( Made up numbers , but in the correct ballpark )

Since your new to the World of HBAR , I'll offer my oversimplified observations :

A 16 inch HBAR will commonly have offhand balance substantially similar to a 20 inch Government ( A2) profile gun .

As far as absolute weight , the various kitchen sinks hanging off of it has more variable effect , than 3 or 4 oz of actual steel .
    Last time I bought armaments, I went to a VA store, had them send the guns to a FFL in MD. This enabled me to take home some of the gun "accessories" in VA, rather than MD. If you follow, would this be advantageous with an AR as well?

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Welcome, sounds like your interests are aligned with this rabble pretty well.

5.56 is readily available and not outrageously expensive (relatively), you may own AR's if configured with a heavy barrel, both ammo and rifles are readily available in local gun stores. See the "Partners" tab at the top of the site for a map of ranges and gun stores near you, there are also state park rifle/pistol ranges in elk neck, new germany, and myrtle grove parks.

Going to VA for accessories isn't a bad idea, but the rifle itself can be gotten up here no sweat. If you want to build your own as to have control over the cost and overall purpose of your rifle there is a ton of information available in the "rifles" forum.

there is also tomfoolery of all flavors to be found scattered all over the forum, welcome aboard.

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Welcome, sounds like your interests are aligned with this rabble pretty well.

5.56 is readily available and not outrageously expensive (relatively), you may own AR's if configured with a heavy barrel, both ammo and rifles are readily available in local gun stores. See the "Partners" tab at the top of the site for a map of ranges and gun stores near you, there are also state park rifle/pistol ranges in elk neck, new germany, and myrtle grove parks.

Going to VA for accessories isn't a bad idea, but the rifle itself can be gotten up here no sweat. If you want to build your own as to have control over the cost and overall purpose of your rifle there is a ton of information available in the "rifles" forum.

there is also tomfoolery of all flavors to be found scattered all over the forum, welcome aboard.
    Thanks, gforce! I'm happy to have stumbled onto this site. Seems like a good bunch of people so far - but don't tell them that.

I know there's data out there that I can get, but let me ask you - Does MD have a magazine limit for ARs? I'd be really surprised if they don't.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Thanks, gforce! I'm happy to have stumbled onto this site. Seems like a good bunch of people so far - but don't tell them that.

I know there's data out there that I can get, but let me ask you - Does MD have a magazine limit for ARs? I'd be really surprised if they don't.
    The info is around but I don't mind answering. Magazines bought or transferred Inside MD have to be 10 rnds or less. No other restrictions such as possession of std capacity mags or transporting them from other states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom