• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I am looking to purchase my first handgun and I have decided on the Springfield XD 4" 9MM with 15+1 Mag. I have been reading conflicting posts that say you can't buy handgun mags over 10 capacity. Now first of all is this true or is it now 20 max? Second does this affect what comes with the gun or only the additional you want to buy later? And the real question am I okay to purchase the gun in question. I am buying online and dont want to have any issues with legality. I am pretty sure I am okay as I have gotten some quotes on the same model at local stores so I wouldnt think they would quote me on a gun I cant buy. Thanks for the help in advance.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    MD law is 20rds max that is all that can be issued with the purchase of the firearm

if you were to say find a 30rd(exaggerating) magazine in Va or Pa for your gun in your travels, it is perfectly legal to buy it and bring it back into MD

on edit...notice i said BRING it...not SHIP it

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    This thread http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=18063
    says
    Maryland Criminal Law Code 4-305(b)
    “A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm. This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine."

People have been traveling to PA or VA and buying them and bringing them back.

A question may be, if you are letting your buddy shoot your pistol with the long mag in it, are you "transferring" it?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And for the question the OP didn't ask. As you check on the 'net you need to determine if the particular gun includes the fired casing , packedged to Md standards. If not there are certain Md FFLs ( some IPs) who can perform this , but is another expense and hassle to factor into your comparison calculations.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    And for the question the OP didn't ask. As you check on the 'net you need to determine if the particular gun includes the fired casing , packedged to Md standards. If not there are certain Md FFLs ( some IPs) who can perform this , but is another expense and hassle to factor into your comparison calculations.

I have emailed the retailer about this exact issue, they informed me that the model I am looking at does include the fired casing. However, I did not ask them if it would be packaged to MD's standards. I would really rather buy from a local shop but I am not willing to spend an extra $100 just to do it

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I have emailed the retailer about this exact issue, they informed me that the model I am looking at does include the fired casing. However, I did not ask them if it would be packaged to MD's standards. I would really rather buy from a local shop but I am not willing to spend an extra $100 just to do it
    How much does your ffl charge for the transfer? Subtract that from the price a local dealer wants and it's less than $100. I'd rather support a local dealer and see my purchase in person before buying.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    How much does your ffl charge for the transfer? Subtract that from the price a local dealer wants and it's less than $100. I'd rather support a local dealer and see my purchase in person before buying.

The price itself is actually about $140-150 more at the local shops so even with the $35 transfer fee and $10 app fee, I am still right around $100 cheaper. Like I said I am all for supporting local shops but not for a 20-25% mark up.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    You were probably seeing the 10 round limit in reference to the "assault weapons" ban that was in place from 1994-2004. During this time new magazines had to hold 10 rounds or less.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Congrats on your decision. That model was my first regulated purchase too.

In MD your allowed to transfer magazines up to 20 rounds. It's not illegal to own larger, just cannot transfer from one person to another. So if you want larger you have to go across the border and then bring them back in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom