• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Hello all. "Seasoned Citizen", just getting back into shooting in a serious way after a relatively long hiatus. Was mostly into hunting with .22 rilfe, black powder and shotgun, back in the day. Also did some trap shooting at the AGC range in Marriottsville. Three years ago got my HCL and bought my first handgun - a Ruger Mark IV hunter; used it mainly for target shooting and "hunting" raccoons and ground hogs on my acreage. Then this year after the welcome SCOTUS ruling I took the MD Wear & Carry Class. I'll be picking up my new M&P 9 2.0 Metal this Tuesday. Still waiting for the license to show up; hopefully that will happen soon.

Am in the process of figuring out what I need for Pistol competition shooting - belts, holsters, mag pouches, ammo brands/types, etc., etc. Not looking to get real serious, just want to use it as a way to continually improve my shooting skills, and be ready if it ever becomes necessary to use them for defense -- which I sincerely hope will never happen. Also plan to introduce some of the grandkids to shooting, starting with my trusty old Daisy 850, then the Ruger 77/22, and eventually maybe a 20 gauge (which I don't currently own) and the handguns.

I'll be posting soon with lots of questions about all those topics and probably more, if that's OK. Still a babe in the woods wrt handguns and pistol shooting.

Looking forward to getting to know lots of you fellow MD shooters here on forums!

Cheers,
    Al
    Welcome Al, we have a 3gun event this Saturday if you can make it out to the AGC. It’s a great way to meet new people, try out new gear, etc.

I’ll also be doing an AGC range orientation after the shoot at about 12:30.

PM me if you have any questions and welcome.

Slumy__57

May 18, 2018
    Hampstead MD
    Thanks, Slumy. I plan to use the Mark IV most often as well, also due to the cost of ammo. I've got several thousand rounds of CCI .22 ammo the I bought years ago that will serve the purpose.

As for the new M&P, my second handgun, I decided on 9mm since it appeared as I started researching pistols for self-defense and concealed carry to be the most affordable and readily available (at a good price) centerfire pistol caliber ammo out there. Just picked up a couple of 1000 round cases of 124 gr. Federal American Eagle and CCI Blazer for roughly $300/case. Could have gotten a case of 115 gr. CCI for $260, but I've read that 124 gr. shoots better with the M&P.
    I carry a SIG P365XL. I think 9mm is a great caliber to carry, and I've heard good things about the M&Ps. I run 124 gr. Federal HST in my carry gun, not sure if you have ammo picked out for when you carry, but Federal HST, Hornady Critical Defense, and SIG Elite V-Crown are the three I keep in my stash.

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    Welcome Al, we have a 3gun event this Saturday if you can make it out to the AGC. It’s a great way to meet new people, try out new gear, etc.

I’ll also be doing an AGC range orientation after the shoot at about 12:30.

PM me if you have any questions and welcome.
    Thanks, Gcs. I may try to get out to the range Saturday morning if I have time, mainly to try out the new M&P Metal. Don't think I'm ready to participate in a 3gun event yet, though, especially since I haven't even figured out what that entails; but I think it requires a shotgun, which I no longer have. Sold my 12 gauge 870 recently to help finance the M&P. I do plan to eventually get a 20 gauge to get some of the grandkids started with shotgun, but don't have one yet.

Anyway, I think I'm also just too much of a novice with the handguns to be participating in any organized events yet. Need to spend some quality time at the range to prepare for that. But if I do get out there Saturday morning I hope I'll at least be able to observe and learn about 3gun.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    HI, Neighbor! We're only a couple of miles west of River Hill Village. Used to live in Columbia (Owen Brown Village) in the 70's. Needed more room to run with our big family, so moved to Clarksville in '80 when it was still mostly farms. This summer I set up a nice new archery range out back for the grandkids, just behind the vineyard and winery building:
    Nice setup!

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Thanks, Gcs. I may try to get out to the range Saturday morning if I have time, mainly to try out the new M&P Metal. Don't think I'm ready to participate in a 3gun event yet, though, especially since I haven't even figured out what that entails; but I think it requires a shotgun, which I no longer have. Sold my 12 gauge 870 recently to help finance the M&P. I do plan to eventually get a 20 gauge to get some of the grandkids started with shotgun, but don't have one yet.

Anyway, I think I'm also just too much of a novice with the handguns to be participating in any organized events yet. Need to spend some quality time at the range to prepare for that. But if I do get out there Saturday morning I hope I'll at least be able to observe and learn about 3gun.
    Well if you can come check us out, spectate it’s a pretty good crowd. This is not a ranked match so it’s a good way to check out the ropes, gears, and get some pointers.

We also have a static pistol shoot Sunday at the AGC.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    Greetings, Alex.

At the W&C class I took I thought they said you would automatically get the HCL along with the Wear & Carry permit, assuming you didn't already have one. Is that not correct?
    You would qualify for the HQL, but you would still have to apply for the HQL separately. That was what I was told by one of my instructors (there were 2 for my class). If you wanna get the HQL before getting the WCP, you would have to get fingerprinted twice, but I'm waiting to get the WCP first so that I qualify for the HQL training exemption.

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    You would qualify for the HQL, but you would still have to apply for the HQL separately. That was what I was told by one of my instructors (there were 2 for my class). If you wanna get the HQL before getting the WCP, you would have to get fingerprinted twice, but I'm waiting to get the WCP first so that I qualify for the HQL training exemption.
    OK, so I think what they may have done at the class was have everyone who didn't already have an HCL fill out the application and submit it while at the class. I already had my HCL so I wasn't paying close attention.

The people that ran the class were pretty well organized. They had a Livescan guy there to do the fingerprinting. They had a bank of laptop computers there for us to complete the Wear & Carry applications and upload our passport photo and target photo from the shooting test, then submit the W&C application on the spot. So I guess those who didn't have the HCL also submitted their HCL application at the same time.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    OK, so I think what they may have done at the class was have everyone who didn't already have an HCL fill out the application and submit it while at the class. I already had my HCL so I wasn't paying close attention.

The people that ran the class were pretty well organized. They had a Livescan guy there to do the fingerprinting. They had a bank of laptop computers there for us to complete the Wear & Carry applications and upload our passport photo and target photo from the shooting test, then submit the W&C application on the spot. So I guess those who didn't have the HCL also submitted their HCL application at the same time.
    Ooooh! I see. I didn't have that. I had to go to Salisbury to get fingerprinted for the WCP.

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    Welcome from Eastern Shore
    Thanks, Brat-girl (Uh-oh:ohnoes:... Did I really say that ??).

The Eastern Shore is a beautiful area. The wife and I used to go camping out and fishing in a canoe on the Pocomoke when we were basically newlyweds, before we had any kids. We also had some good friends we would visit from time to time in Rock Hall that had a family-owned Marina. I made a couple of weekend retreats at the Tidewater Inn in the historic section of Easton. And one of my daughters interned one summer as a budding Mechanical Engineer at a Black and Decker plant in Easton. And when the kids were young we would of course often go to Ocean City.

Haven't spent too much time out there lately, but I do have a lot of good memories of time spent on the Eastern Shore.

Last edited:

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    Thanks, Brat-girl (Uh-oh:ohnoes:... Did I really say that ??).

The Eastern Shore is a beautiful area. The wife and I used to go camping out and fishing in a canoe on the Pocomoke when we were basically newlyweds, before we had any kids. We also had some good friends we would visit from time to time in Rock Hall that had a family-owned Marina. I made a couple of weekend retreats at the Tidewater Inn in the historic section of Easton. And one of my daughters interned one summer as a budding Mechanical Engineer at a Black and Decker plant in Easton. And when the kids were young we would of course often go to Ocean City.

Haven't spent too much time out there lately, but I do have a lot of good memories of time spent on the Eastern Shore.
    yes sir you said it correct lol
    enjoy this site its GREAT just like the members

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    Hi, Badshot. (Not as bad as me, I hope :sad20:.)

I get my cars fixed in Dayton when I can't do it myself. Knollwood Automotive, on Ten Oaks Rd. Nice little shop. Honest, very reasonable cost. Have to schedule it a couple of weeks in advance, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom