New Washington Post 2A Hit Piece (Involving Newton Parents)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Get over it? Their children were literally murdered. Get over it, okay. How about all the soldiers with PTSD just get over it too? It’s just so easy to get over traumatic experiences, why don’t we all do it. We don’t even need physiatrists anymore, just tell people to get over it and they will be fine.

Frankly, these people might never get over it and rightfully so. What they went through was/is an incredibly traumatic experience. BUT, despite that this was a terrible thing, our government runs on laws. One of those laws clearly states that we have a right to bear and own firearms, no restrictions. 100 people going through a terrible situation should not influence our laws. If people don’t like the 2A they need to amend it to say what they want. And frankly, Hell will freeze over before that happens.

We should in no way be blaming the victims for doing what they think is right. Rather, we should be blaming our government for breaking the law.

Sorry, a couple dozen people losing their children does not, IN ANY WAY justify trying to trample the constitutional rights of everyone else.

You brought up soldiers, how many of them died defending our rights? Is it fair to ignore their sacrifice?

I bet more than a couple dozen people have been killed over a breakup or divorce, does that give the victims of that loss justification to press for laws making breakups or divorce illegal? No.

This is madness. I blame the media and politicians for exacerbating this whole issue. It's exploitation of grieving families. Everyone experiences loss. It's unfair to push it on a few hundred million people. Obama won't come give me a hug if my dad is blown away by a crazed relative...

I bet in 6 months we won't have weekly stories bringing up the school that got annihilated by the monster tornado.

I know I'm a bit of a misanthrope, but I won't sit by and cry crocodile tears for people I've never met who are being used as puppets to take the rights of others. They could have told Obama, Feinstein, Schumer & Co. to leave them be, but they chose to turn their children into martyrs.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    Again, misplaced anger by the parents, but totally understandable. My problem is the politicians and their media lapdogs exploiting the parents to further an ill-conceived agenda. They are ruling from an ivory tower, with no concept of reality.

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    I cannot imagine the sorrow those parents feel. It is so easy for the manipulaters to take the grief, that has no direction, and use it for their own ends. I had a close friend/ business partner commit suicide years ago. The pain is deep, I can't imagine what it would be to lose a kid. They want to lash out in their pain, to make some sense of the unbelievable....That said, their tragedy is not an excuse to do anything to my rights. The other thing, the death toll is only 26. There was a 27th victim, (Name redacted) KILLED his own mother to gain access to the guns...

The other thing, the death toll is only 26. There was a 27th victim, (Name redacted) KILLED his own mother to gain access to the guns...

Sadly, I know some people that don't consider the mom a victim, but a co-conspirator. Their logic is that since she bought the guns, she was a "gun-nut" and directly responsible for her son going crazy and having access to guns.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    Sadly, I know some people that don't consider the mom a victim, but a co-conspirator. Their logic is that since she bought the guns, she was a "gun-nut" and directly responsible for her son going crazy and having access to guns.

Well, she also took her mentally unstable son to firing ranges, and taught him how to use the weapons. Not saying she deserved to die, but this situation involved a perfect storm of events and circumstances that lead to the tragedy.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Well, she also took her mentally unstable son to firing ranges, and taught him how to use the weapons. Not saying she deserved to die, but this situation involved a perfect storm of events and circumstances that lead to the tragedy.

Agreed. The two people ultimately responsible, the owner of the firearms and the shooter are dead. No need for a trial, the ultimate justice has already been dealt, and they have been sent to meet their maker....

It sucks but what more can honestly be done in a civil society?

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA

A mother attempting to share her hobby with her son is not something to be wary of. We don't know when his instability started to concern her. Hell, she could have attempted to use target shooting as a way to teach discipline.

A law blocking people like M. Lanza from owning firearms when living with a mentally unstable person is not a good idea. It is a good idea to restrict access even further if you're that worried (remember, she was pretty close to having him involuntarily committed.)

Mr H

Banana'd
    For everyone...

We need to remember to add, "as far as we know at this point" to anything regarding Newtown.

:(

In other news, the families will be in DC this week to mark 6mo since the incident. Working Congress, slathered all over the media, attempting to twang any remaining heartstrings.

Oh yeah... and to attempt to guilt people into passing laws no one wants (as proven by their LAST visit).

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Smores :sad20: We understand your anger and know where your trying to go with this, but stop writing.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    A mother attempting to share her hobby with her son is not something to be wary of. We don't know when his instability started to concern her. Hell, she could have attempted to use target shooting as a way to teach discipline.

A law blocking people like M. Lanza from owning firearms when living with a mentally unstable person is not a good idea. It is a good idea to restrict access even further if you're that worried (remember, she was pretty close to having him involuntarily committed.)

I never proposed preventing anything. I simply pointed out that the mother's actions contributed to the tragedy, whether meant with good intentions or not. I would think that a mother would be the best judge as to the mental state of a child regarding gun access. Obviously, in this case, the mother made the wrong decision, and paid the ultimate price.

You can't have it both ways. I agree, the law should not block any fit person to own firearms. But as a firearm owner, it was her responsibility to keep her firearms away from someone who was "pretty close to having involuntarily committed". The product of freedom is individual responsibility, so in my opinion, the mother held that responsibility.

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    But as a firearm owner, it was her responsibility to keep her firearms away from someone who was "pretty close to having involuntarily committed".
    She did keep the guns away from him, that's why she had the gun safe. It's not her fault he murdered her to get access to it.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Despite emotional pleas and ploys ...

No new gun control laws are needed ...

Novel gun control: Prosecutors increase enforcement of existing laws after Sandy Hook shooting

Prosecutions dipped at the beginning of the Clinton administration but rose again, tripling between 1998 and 2004, when the federal government filed more than 11,000 cases. Since then, however, prosecutions have fallen steadily to fewer than 8,000 prosecutions a year over the past three years.

Enforcement of existing law has always been the issue, but politicians being, well ... politicians, have a public image need to 'do something' ... no matter how ineffective, counterproductive, or nefarious it may be.

Can I get a harrumph ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom