Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    01a4b4d69799c3dd12816512895392ea.jpg

#42 the Pawl needs to be checked out I reckon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I know you don't want to, but I'm thinking this is a Ruger issue. Contact them. Their customer service reputation is very, very good.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I just had Ruger look at a new SR1911 Commander.
    I sent them a note about the problem. They asked me to call.
    I got a RMA number and a shipping label. Dropped the package at a FedEx shipping center. It was back to my home in less than 2 weeks - adult signature required.
    Shipping was on their dime both ways. The only hassle was having to take the gun to the shipping center in Linthicum.
    There was no "transfer fee process".

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    That process has been echoed by many and I appreciate people letting me know that. So, good on that front.

Pistol now locks at random. Took a video and got this -

“By the way, the revolver shows very little use but the picture of the pawl shows a lot of abuse. Probably a mixture of crappy reloads and excess force. Wise to send it back.”

One of my “old timer knows his shit” friends diagnosed that little detail. So off to Ruger it goes!

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    It will be comforting to know that Ruger looked it over and hopefully uncovered any other potential problems.
    I'm not inferring that this gun was abused but fanning a single action is very hard on the internal parts. Who know what the previous owner was up to?
    Good luck.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    It will be comforting to know that Ruger looked it over and hopefully uncovered any other potential problems.
    I'm not inferring that this gun was abused but fanning a single action is very hard on the internal parts. Who know what the previous owner was up to?
    Good luck.

Yeah, sounds like someone shot something they shouldn’t have in it.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Well after life got in the way and some priorities were handled, I got off my tail and sent this along with a Super Blackhawk Hammer to Ruger in March. Five weeks later my pistol was mailed back to me two days ago. Ruger had fitted a new pawl and tossed on the SBH hammer for the low low price of free. Happy to give it a try this evening!

Ruger’s customer service is pretty top notch!

2E8D97AA-02CE-44BC-A8BA-9928E58C198F.jpeg

Crappy cell phone pic

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Glad to hear it worked out, looking forward to a range report.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    The Vaquero!

She went click each time and bang following. There was one failure to fire, could be ammo, I struck it twice and nada.

She sure shoots sweet! I don’t, but she does! I was holding a 3” group at 5y which is atrocious to me. I need to study and adopt a proper grip. I kept fiddling around in between shots to see what worked. It sure feels small! However, the times that I did everything right, and I could literally feel when it was right, it shot exactly point of aim. Which is very pleasing for a gun where you’re stuck with the sights ya got! My typical five shot groups would have two or three in the same hole or touching, dead center, while I’d have plenty of right leaning shots in between (I’m a lefty). So I know for pretty dogone certain it’s two things -

Improper Grip
    Jerking the trigger / anticipating the shot.

Good news is I have six SnapCaps and plenty of time to get it right.

I sure do like this little puppy!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The key to SA Revolver shooting is the grip , specifically how hard you squeeze . Difficult to explain in words , just start with a light squeeze , and progressively squeeze harder . When the shots are impacting POA , you have it correct .

You likely already know , but for a PSA for the other readers w/o SA experience : On a major cal SA Revolver , the gun is Supposed to roll back in your hand . It's a feature , not a fault . Positions the hammer spur for easy one hand recocking .

By " grips are small " are you referring to the grip being short ? If so , curl your pinky finger under the butt of the gun .

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    The key to SA Revolver shooting is the grip , specifically how hard you squeeze . Difficult to explain in words , just start with a light squeeze , and progressively squeeze harder . When the shots are impacting POA , you have it correct .

You likely already know , but for a PSA for the other readers w/o SA experience : On a major cal SA Revolver , the gun is Supposed to roll back in your hand . It's a feature , not a fault . Positions the hammer spur for easy one hand recocking .

By " grips are small " are you referring to the grip being short ? If so , curl your pinky finger under the butt of the gun .

Excellent advice there, thank you! My pinky began to curl and I was thinking “no that’s weird don’t do that”. Ok good to know that I should look to do that. If it’s good enough for Skeeter Skelton, then I reckon it must be a thing. Another point I read was to really not grip the gun much with a support hand if firing with two. Interesting as well. Been shooting my Glock usually twice a week since 01JAN so that’s not something I had even considered. I know if I grip the hell out of my Plastic Fantastic, it’ll do what I want it to…perhaps with the Vaquero I might just get used to single handed fire for now?

I have experience shooting SA’s, however larger frame a la Super Blackhawk Hunters…

a474a3ae8d0913a7f5b7977564028a37.jpg

There’s definitely more real estate to grab on to, perhaps that’s why I shoot that one so well dot or not.

One thing of note and I plan to explore further with Snap Caps, I don’t want to hold as high on these grips as I would a Semi-Auto, do I? At two points I had the web of my hand slightly slow the hammer in its descent. Causing a click with no bang. Rounds went off when I brought the cylinder back ‘round.

Reckon I’ll go shoot another 50 tomorrow (Friday). I’ll load one round at a time and spin the cylinder. When I load five, I shoot and adjust my grip with revolver extended. I want to shoot, assess, reload and THEN adjust grip according to target prior to presenting the next shot. It’ll slow me down, focus on what I’m doing, and keep the barrel from getting too damn hot.

Excited to learn a new thing.

- Brent

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Very happy to see that you like the returned gun. As discussed, SA grip is a very different thing and my natural Glock grip doesn't do it well ...

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Good looking revolvers!

My first SA revolver was a 5.5" Blackhawk in 44mag. I learned the pinky trick too late, lol. It bit me good. It got my brother too. We were used to higher holds.

My New Vaqueros are some of my favorite guns to shoot now that I know how to shoot a SA revolver.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Good looking revolvers!

My first SA revolver was a 5.5" Blackhawk in 44mag. I learned the pinky trick too late, lol. It bit me good. It got my brother too. We were used to higher holds.

My New Vaqueros are some of my favorite guns to shoot now that I know how to shoot a SA revolver.

Ok, that’s good to hear! You shooting single handed or with both? Like Joppa said, high grip ain’t workin! So I should center my palm on the grip so as to allow my pinky to curl under?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I do! It feels tight and right. Nice feeling a big chunk of steel in my hand again.

I have a Blackhawk in .45lc. I don't shoot it often or terribly well but I do love it.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    I have a Blackhawk in .45lc. I don't shoot it often or terribly well but I do love it.

They’re awesome and capable guns for sure!

So everything I read and some I have spoken to lead me to adopting a duelist (one handed) stance for these. Let your pinky curl under the grip. Hold the gun so your finger is as in line with the trigger as possible. An old timer friend of mine likened it to grabbing a vertical handled cane. Keep your hand low, don’t hold high on it. Hold as tight as comfortably as possible without interfering with the sights. I shot 50 yesterday, bought another 100, and plan to shoot fifty tomorrow. Single loaded at a time to start.

- Brent

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    The Old West gunfighters never cocked a pistol until its muzzle was pointed away from them half way to the target. The hammer was cocked by laying the thumb crossways over the hammer, which positions the hand high up on the grip, with the ball of the hand at the base of the trigger finger angling down and pressing against one of the flat Colt logo panels, and the thumb angling downward pressing against the other flat logo panel. The cocked hammer spur should be digging into the back of your hand (you had better stone the sharp edge of the spur off), and the center of your palm should be against the gun's backstrap, while the trigger finger should have the first joint around the trigger, with the tip of the trigger touching the tip of the thumb. Squeezing the two logo panels and the trigger together turns the force of pulling the trigger into a steadying force, while automatically aligning the sights with whatever at which you are pointing.

The result is a lightning-fast pistol that hits as good as a rifle out to long carbine range. I have never had the SAA roll back in my hand or felt any recoil with this grip. This old gunfighter's trick was never talked about outside the trade, and as the last guardian of the information, I am the only one ever to reveal it in print. It is the secret to the Colt Single Action's reputation.

Good read I found, here’s a snippet.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Ok, that’s good to hear! You shooting single handed or with both? Like Joppa said, high grip ain’t workin! So I should center my palm on the grip so as to allow my pinky to curl under?

I am very inconsistent when I shoot my SA guns. I like shooting both hands and single handed. Both hands for more accuracy. I can also hold a little higher than normal. Single handed for more fun. I also hold lower on the grip then. If I ever get into cowboy shooting like I have told myself I would for the last who knows how many years, I like to think I would try duelist. I'll probably be really bad at it but I imagine I'll have a ton of fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom