• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtildens

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi everyone, I'm new to active military and new Maryland.

What are the procedures for buying a rifles?

Also I am planning on going to the Chantiilly Gun show this weekend, if i get lucking and can find a AR what will i need to do?

thanks for any info.

just to say, i have bought several guns, not a expert but have been shooting for years. (the laws here seem a lot different that Missouri)

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    What is your home of record?

You can buy a rifle interstate, but the rules differ depending on which state you will use for residency and which type of AR you purchase.

In my case, I was able to purchase as either a Texas resident or a MD resident while stationed there. I could buy a rifle in a state the allowed rifle and shotgun sales to non-contiguous states. The transfer has to occur at the FFL's location in the state that you are purchasing in, UNLESS you are a resident of that state (in this case you would need to be a VA resident to conduct a FTF transaction in VA.)

It's rather convoluted with regard to what you can and can't do. For instance if I was living in MD, but commuted to the Pentagon each day, and had a Texas home of record. I can actually purchase any legal firearm in ANY of three states: MD, VA, and TX.

If however I worked at Bethesda MD, lived in Washington DC, and had a Texas home of record. I would not be allowed to buy a firearm in VA, even though it could be done by a military member who commuted to VA each day.

Confused yet?

For example from the ATF FAQ:

Q: What constitutes residency in a State?

The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United States is considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in that State and has resided in that State continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,” in the General Information section of this publication.

[18 U.S.C. 921(b), 922(a) (3), and 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.11]

Welcome aboard and to this God forsaken state, I feel sorry for you. But it could be worse you could have been stationed to....hmmmm for the life of me I can't think of a worst place in this whole wide world to live in worse than here. Thank you for your service, you'll be happy once again when you finally get out of this state. As far as an AR purchase goes I'd hold off till the panic buying dies down, you came in a few months late in the game to be purchasing an AR now a days. Just a tip, you can purchase a Colt HBar and don't have to fiddle faddle with as much paperwork. This is an awesome site you'll learn a lot here.

Nostromo

Jan 15, 2013
    PG County
    Welcome. I feel sorry for you... I've been here for more than 30 years and I'm about done, ready to pack it in and move. Liberal dumb-asses everywhere.

Chantilly gun show is a toy store, however get there as early as you can! The line will wrap around the building, there will be no parking and by 11AM, you will not be able to move once inside. Stop by Willards next door for some decent BBQ.

Might be easier to buy an AR off someone's back, you know, through that gun show loophole.

Nostromo

Jan 15, 2013
    PG County
    ...Just a tip, you can purchase a Colt HBar and don't have to fiddle faddle with as much paperwork.

One of Maryland's dumbest gun laws. An AR-15 HBAR (arguably more accurate, more deadly?), is considered a basic long rifles and not an "Assault weapon", so there's no 7 day wait period.

wtildens

Jan 15, 2013
    thanks for the input everyone. I'll see what i can find for AR, i'm betting i'll wait a few months.

and i plan to make it to the show this weekend.

thanks

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Waiting is a good idea. You can find a good deal at an FFL dealer in MD once the hysteria dies down.

Welcome to So MD

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    Where are you stationed? We might be able to direct you to a club that would help with your transition to the Maryland shooting world.

Irons

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    Retired Navy here. If you haven't tied yourself to a residential commitment yet, get out of Maryland. I don't care how bad you think the commute might be, if you stay in Maryland you will regret it for your entire tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom