New to gun ownership! (suggestions welcome)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R45

Jul 5, 2022
    Baltimore
    Welcome to MDS. I hope you enjoy it here.

I, would get a 9mm handgun for home defense and the 45 1911 second. I would get a modular 9mm that you can swap a .22 slide on for cheap practice and plinking, like a Glock, Sig, or CZ. Or get an airsoft version of whatever real gun you get to familiarize yourself with and practice around the house. I got a CZ75 in 9mm, a .22 Kadet kit, and an airsoft version for playing with in the basement. I also have a 45 for fun or potential home defense. Just my opinion based on cost/capacity.
    Hey Sirex!

Thank you for the thoughtful reply! I like the idea of looking into airsoft/bb models to use for familiarity in the home and the advice on a modular firearm. I'll certainly keep this in mind when making the final decision. I'll also look into a CZ75 so thank you for the recommendation!

Wishing you a great start to your week.

R45

Jul 5, 2022
    Baltimore
    He's not talking about loading cartridges into magazines. He's talking about reloading the empty cases with new primers, powder, and projectiles: remanufacturing the cartridges to save money.
    Threeband,

HA. Thank you for the clarification. I was thinking that he maybe meant that a 45 was slightly larger for easier reload but this makes sense. Note sure if I'll ever get into remanufacturing my own ammo myself but who knows; could be something cool to get into down the line.

I appreciate your comments as always! Wishing you a great start to your week.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    A seven round .45 mag will be easier to load than a 17 round 9mm mag, because it takes a stout spring to push all 17 cartridges reliably. I have some 12 round 9x18 mags that would be almost impossible to load past 10 or so without a loading tool of some sort.

I have a tool called an UPLULA, (a Universal Pistol Loader/UnLoader, A?) which is the bee's knees, but there are many tools out there. I think Glock includes simpler tool which is a bit similar. Others include an even simpler little tool like a ring-with-a-nub-on-it with their pistols.

iu

iu

Last edited:
    May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I second Threeband, the UpLULA is cheap and makes loading mags faster and easier on the fingers. If you go to a range that rents by the hour it'll pay for itself as you won't be killing a lot time loading mags.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Welcome to the “club”. My two favorite handguns are my Sig C3. 45 cal with a “commander” sized frame. My other is my favorite for plinking. It’s my Sig 1911-22 made by Walther. Best advice is to try what you’re interested in at your local range that has rentals. And support your local industry partner.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Welcome to MDS. Your intro has gone well and you’ve already gotten some sage advice. Sure hope you enjoy your stay.

Trying several guns in a variety of calibers is great advice. Understanding your intended purpose should help make a better decision.

Personally, I carried a Commander sized (Clark Custom) 1911 for several years. Then I wore a G19 for a while. I spent some time with a SIG P365 on my hip. Each of them has its own attraction. Last couple months have been a CZ 75 SP01. Get a good carry rig if you intend to carry. Cutting corners on your gear is imprudent imo.

Whatever you chose, I might suggest regular, earnest training and familiarization with the mechanics of that particular gun. Muscle memory is also pretty important imo. That includes failure drills.

Stay safe

R45

Jul 5, 2022
    Baltimore
    A seven round .45 mag will be easier to load than a 17 round 9mm mag, because it takes a stout spring to push all 17 cartridges reliably. I have some 12 round 9x18 mags that would be almost impossible to load past 10 or so without a loading tool of some sort.

I have a tool called an UPLULA, (a Universal Pistol Loader/UnLoader, A?) which is the bee's knees, but their are many tools out there. I think Glock includes simpler tool which is a bit similar. Others include an even simpler little tool like a ring-with-a-nub-on-it with their pistols.

iu

iu

Threeband,

Sweeeet! Thank you for the recommendations. I'll certainly look into them. Looks very helpful :D

R45

Jul 5, 2022
    Baltimore
    I second Threeband, the UpLULA is cheap and makes loading mags faster and easier on the fingers. If you go to a range that rents by the hour it'll pay for itself as you won't be killing a lot time loading mags.
    Moonlighter,

Thank you for your input, I'll definitely look into getting one of these when the time comes thanks to both your inputs!

R45

Jul 5, 2022
    Baltimore
    Welcome to the “club”. My two favorite handguns are my Sig C3. 45 cal with a “commander” sized frame. My other is my favorite for plinking. It’s my Sig 1911-22 made by Walther. Best advice is to try what you’re interested in at your local range that has rentals. And support your local industry partner.
    Mightydog,

Thanks for the welcome! I'll look out for your two favorites as I haven't used them before. Thank you for the heads up!

R45

Jul 5, 2022
    Baltimore
    Welcome to MDS. Your intro has gone well and you’ve already gotten some sage advice. Sure hope you enjoy your stay.

Trying several guns in a variety of calibers is great advice. Understanding your intended purpose should help make a better decision.

Personally, I carried a Commander sized (Clark Custom) 1911 for several years. Then I wore a G19 for a while. I spent some time with a SIG P365 on my hip. Each of them has its own attraction. Last couple months have been a CZ 75 SP01. Get a good carry rig if you intend to carry. Cutting corners on your gear is imprudent imo.

Whatever you chose, I might suggest regular, earnest training and familiarization with the mechanics of that particular gun. Muscle memory is also pretty important imo. That includes failure drills.

Stay safe
    Alea Jacta Est,

Thank you for the welcome and solid advice! I've heard a lot of good things from the CZ 75 so I'll certainly look into it and your other mentions. I certainly will train as often as possible and I appreciate your emphasis on that.

Looking forward to seeing you around!

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    BurkeM,

Thank you so much for all the helpful information! I'm enthused to hear about the MSI and definitely will look into membership. Do you have any recommendation for a wear and carry permit course? I appreciate all your insight!

Wishing you a great start to your week.
    There are sooo many good instructors, depending on where you are located and how far you are willing to travel.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Personally, I carried a Commander sized (Clark Custom) 1911 for several years. Then I wore a G19 for a while. I spent some time with a SIG P365 on my hip. Each of them has its own attraction. Last couple months have been a CZ 75 SP01.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you carry the SP01 in? I've carried a PCR, I'm thinking of picking up an SP01. Didn't intend to carry it due to the size, but now you have me thinking... it might work in the winter, in certain circumstances.

Alea Jacta Est,

Thank you for the welcome and solid advice! I've heard a lot of good things from the CZ 75 so I'll certainly look into it and your other mentions.

If you like the CZ 75 and plan to carry, check out the CZ PCR or CZ P01. Both are CZ 75 compact models (about .75" shorter in both directions than full size). P01 has a rail, PCR has no rail and is therefore a bit slimmer at the muzzle. Both are 15+1 rounds (or 14+1 with some magazines).

R45

Jul 5, 2022
    Baltimore
    Hello again everyone!

I just want to take a moment to thank you all for putting in the time and energy to give me great advice. I am happy to announce that with everyone's help, I have purchased a S&W 686 Plus One (3 inch) revolver. Photos below!

As a thank you, I created a fun little competition for naming the firearm and the winner gets $20! This is hyperlinked here.

You are all awesome; thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG-5730.jpg
      IMG-5730.jpg
      309.4 KB · Views: 48
    • IMG-5729.jpg
      IMG-5729.jpg
      270.1 KB · Views: 49
    • IMG-5728.jpg
      IMG-5728.jpg
      474.8 KB · Views: 55

Chase Houston

MDS, MSI, NRA Lifetime
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2022
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Hello again everyone!

I just want to take a moment to thank you all for putting in the time and energy to give me great advice. I am happy to announce that with everyone's help, I have purchased a S&W 686 Plus One (3 inch) revolver. Photos below!

As a thank you, I created a fun little competition for naming the firearm and the winner gets $20! This is hyperlinked here.

You are all awesome; thanks again!

Beautiful gun! Hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom