• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44Dan44

DD 214 Exempt
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 15, 2022
    Owings, Maryland
    In summary now that this thread is cluttered: For anyone moving to Maryland, before you get your MD drivers license, go back to where you came from and buy many many many handguns with with 11 to 100 round magazines before you establish residency and then do the New Resident Regulated Handgun Registration. I'll restate it again: it is NOT like buying a beverage outside of security at the airport that they make you throw away so you can buy a new one on the other side of security. If you bought it legally where you came from you are good.

No worries @CMSGT

Also to both @CMSGT and @JollyPedro I don't think less of you, not everyone could make the cut to join the Army :lol2: I kid, I kid
    46e45d08f43b11196dcd7b7799ff9924--funny-military-military-quotes.jpg

Last edited:

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    In summary now that this thread is cluttered: For anyone moving to Maryland, before you get your MD drivers license, go back to where you came from and buy many many many handguns with with 11 to 100 round magazines before you establish residency and then do the New Resident Regulated Handgun Registration. I'll restate it again: it is NOT like buying a beverage outside of security at the airport that they make you throw away so you can buy a new one on the other side of security. If you bought it legally where you came from you are good.

No worries @CMSGT

Also to both @CMSGT and @JollyPedro I don't think less of you, not everyone could make the cut to join the Army :lol2: I kid, I kid
    View attachment 377322
    LOL, at least we didn't have this in the AF!! I kid, I kid, also!!

1661187222664.png

CMSGT

BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2022

No worries @CMSGT

View attachment 377322
    My DD214 shows expert marksman ribbon in pistol and rifle. Of course, I was pretty much a crack shot with both before entering the military. :thumbsup:

44Dan44

DD 214 Exempt
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 15, 2022
    Owings, Maryland
    Also, forgot to say for someone who finds this thread 6 months from now and takes my advice. Among the many guns you buy, get a new or used pre-2013 semi-auto handgun with 11+ magazine capacity. This will exempt you from the HQL training requirement.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Also, forgot to say for someone who finds this thread 6 months from now and takes my advice. Among the many guns you buy, get a new or used pre-2013 semi-auto handgun with 11+ magazine capacity. This will exempt you from the HQL training requirement.
    No. A pre-13 gun does not exempt you. It has to be PURCHASED before 10/2013 to exempt you.

You cannot buy an 11 round mag in MD.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Good Lord I am glad I moved to West Virginia. Reading this thread is akin to having my head squeezed in a vise.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    To add on to what teratos it also had to have been purchased in MD. Also any long guns that are banned that are brought into MD also had to have been purchased before the ban but not necessarily bought in MD.

44Dan44

DD 214 Exempt
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 15, 2022
    Owings, Maryland
    Sorry fellas, you're wrong. I have bought zero handguns in Maryland yet, all of mine were purchased elsewhere, registered upon moving here and I am training exempt from the HQL based on serial numbers pre-2013. Any that have 11+ magazines I own came with the guns.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No. A pre-13 gun does not exempt you. It has to be PURCHASED before 10/2013 to exempt you.

You cannot buy an 11 round mag in MD.
    To add on to what teratos it also had to have been purchased in MD. Also any long guns that are banned that are brought into MD also had to have been purchased before the ban but not necessarily bought in MD.
    Sorry fellas, you're wrong. I have bought zero guns in Maryland yet, all of mine were purchased elsewhere, registered upon moving here and I am training exempt from the HQL based on serial numbers pre-2013. Any that have 11+ magazines I own came with the guns.

RRomag is correct about Banned Guns must have been Owned by YOU pre- 10/1/ 2013 , regardless of where you lived in 2013 .

As to the other parts :

Ownership of a Regulated Firearm ( and providing S/N thereof ) exempts from HQL training. Period .

Pre or post 2013 of aquiring said regulated item makes no difference .

Pre or post 2013 makes no difference in bringing normal capacity magazines with you when you move into state .

Purchasing an Exempt Regulated Item in Maryland , can use that S/N to exempt from HQL training .

44Dan44

DD 214 Exempt
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 15, 2022
    Owings, Maryland
    RRomag is correct about Banned Guns must have been Owned by YOU pre- 10/1/ 2013 , regardless of where you lived in 2013 .

As to the other parts :

Ownership of a Regulated Firearm ( and providing S/N thereof ) exempts from HQL training. Period .

Pre or post 2013 of aquiring said regulated item makes no difference .

Pre or post 2013 makes no difference in bringing normal capacity magazines with you when you move into state .

Purchasing an Exempt Regulated Item in Maryland , can use that S/N to exempt from HQL training .

To clarify, I made no comment on banned guns, just regulated handguns. Appreciate the extra knowledge.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Sorry fellas, you're wrong. I have bought zero handguns in Maryland yet, all of mine were purchased elsewhere, registered upon moving here and I am training exempt from the HQL based on serial numbers pre-2013. Any that have 11+ magazines I own came with the guns.
    Actually, that makes sense. I think the criteria is to legally own a regulated firearm already.

In this case, since you legally got them elsewhere and registered them, you legally owned a regulated handgun before HQL.

For someone been here all the time, only way to legally get one before HQL was to have bought it before 2013.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Serial numbers mean nothing. Date of purchase is everything. Otherwise every 21 year old will be training exempt when they make their first C&R purchase. Thats just not how it works.

Magazines are not a problem. I buy standard capacity magazines just about any time I leave Maryland.

44Dan44

DD 214 Exempt
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 15, 2022
    Owings, Maryland
    Serial numbers mean nothing. Date of purchase is everything. Otherwise every 21 year old will be training exempt when they make their first C&R purchase. Thats just not how it works.

Magazines are not a problem. I buy standard capacity magazines just about any time I leave Maryland.
    If you insist on remaining wrong I'll oblige you. Pretty sure there are not a lot of 50 year old (C&R) with 11+ magazines floating around so good luck to the 21 year olds.
    Pre 2013 Manufactured Handguns 11+ capacity (based on serial number) in your possession upon applying for New Resident exempt you from HQL Training portion requirement. Full Stop.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you insist on remaining wrong I'll oblige you. Pretty sure there are not a lot of 50 year old (C&R) with 11+ magazines floating around so good luck to the 21 year olds.
    Pre 2013 Manufactured Handguns 11+ capacity (based on serial number) in your possession upon applying for New Resident exempt you from HQL Training portion requirement. Full Stop.
    Half wrong.

Magazines mean even less than the year of manufacture.

You are correct in that you are exempt if you own a regulated firearm

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Pretty sure there are not a lot of 50 year old (C&R) with 11+ magazines floating around so good luck to the 21 year olds.

While a pre '13 11 plus will exempt you , it's not limited to those .

A single shot handgun will also . Or any capacity .

A C&R purchased w/o HQL will also.
    An AR Lower purchased w/o HQL will also .

44Dan44

DD 214 Exempt
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 15, 2022
    Owings, Maryland
    OOF! This guy :wtf:

Please see attached excerpt from my New Resident Registration from the State Police who may know a thing or two about the subject.
    See any dates on there? I've just done this upon moving to MD.
    IMG_5612.jpg

44Dan44

DD 214 Exempt
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 15, 2022
    Owings, Maryland
    Half wrong.

Magazines mean even less than the year of manufacture.

You are correct in that you are exempt if you own a regulated firearm
    You aren't getting it sir. It's the 11+ capacity magazine in the pre 2013 handgun that confers the training exemption. They don't care when you bought the pre 2013, they know the date by the serial number, they don't ask or care when you bought it on the application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom