• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Why? I am missing something (which would not be the first or last time). I am thinking about adding a folder and want to do so legally.
    Suppressors are flash hiders according to MD law's definition. You cannot run a flash hider and a folder on a semiauto rifle with a detachable magazine unless it's a pre-ban. ASR is Silencerco's QD system for suppressors. An ASR brake is a very functional brake when I'm in MD, and a good way to mount a suppressor when I'm not. I often use the Lantac Dragon ASR for the same thing if I need something with more compensation.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Suppressors are flash hiders according to MD law's definition. You cannot run a flash hider and a folder on a semiauto rifle with a detachable magazine unless it's a pre-ban. ASR is Silencerco's QD system for suppressors. An ASR brake is a very functional brake when I'm in MD, and a good way to mount a suppressor when I'm not. I often use the Lantac Dragon ASR for the same thing if I need something with more compensation.

The primary purpose of a suppressor is sound suppression. I don't mean to be a dick, but can you point out in MD law where it says a suppressor is a flash hider?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The primary purpose of a suppressor is sound suppression. I don't mean to be a dick, but can you point out in MD law where it says a suppressor is a flash hider?
    ​(j) “Flash suppressor” means a device that functions, or is intended to function, to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter’s field of vision.

A suppressor meets this criteria. It absolutely reduces flash as a function of its core purpose: suppression. I don't think this is really debatable.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    ​(j) “Flash suppressor” means a device that functions, or is intended to function, to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from the shooter’s field of vision.

A suppressor meets this criteria. It absolutely reduces flash as a function of its core purpose: suppression. I don't think this is really debatable.

The ATF did consider suppressors to be flash hiders for the purpose of the 94 AWB. Not sure if there is a letter or something from MSP, but have heard both sides of the argument and 0 case law or anything official to back up either side. Lots of brakes have flash hiding properties, especially linear comps, even if they aren't described as flash hiders per-se, and then there are things like the SiCo Omega brake cap that would seem to return a can to "brake" status. still it's a trap, and with 0 case law, I get that nobody want to be the 1st. I would definitely go the "pistol brace" method if I were in MD and wanted to shoot one with a folder and can.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    there are things like the SiCo Omega brake cap that would seem to return a can to "brake" status.
    Nah, you still have the can suppressing flash due to the baffles and blast chambers. There's a lot less flash that comes out the end even with that brake (I have one on my Hybrid). I would not want to be the guy arguing that defense in court. Linear comps do not redirect flash out of your field of view, nor do they reduce it. The law does not have anything to say about redirecting blast.

IMHO, the law is crystal clear, a suppressor is a flash hider, and I would recommend people not make themselves the first case law one way or the other.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The ATF did consider suppressors to be flash hiders for the purpose of the 94 AWB. Not sure if there is a letter or something from MSP, but have heard both sides of the argument and 0 case law or anything official to back up either side. Lots of brakes have flash hiding properties, especially linear comps, even if they aren't described as flash hiders per-se, and then there are things like the SiCo Omega brake cap that would seem to return a can to "brake" status. still it's a trap, and with 0 case law, I get that nobody want to be the 1st. I would definitely go the "pistol brace" method if I were in MD and wanted to shoot one with a folder and can.

Zero case law because nobody has been arrested at a range in Md for this, police have better things to do with their time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    So could I buy one of these and slap it on a pistol lower with a folding stock? Does pre or post ban matter in this instance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom