• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Hahaha. Any place you guys go for powder, caps, and ammo? Any favorite brands? Tips? I'll take anything. Conversion cylinder soon for sure.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Those things are a blast to shoot, but messy as hell. I always looked like the chimney sweep from Mary Poppins after a range session. :D

You're gonna love it!

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    looking at conversion cylinders. thanks to links supplied in my other thread.

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/coltarmy.html

http://www.howelloldwestconversions...1&productid=806&cfid=2083002&cftoken=13063460

the howell looks better in that there is very little modification to the gun. i love the look of Clints Navy in the good the bad and the ugly and dont want to add a spring extractor or pushrod or whatever its called. what have you guys used? im also confused as to how 45 colt and schofield are interchangable. id like to be able to shot cowboy action ammo by magtech and my own handloads when i start.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    looking at conversion cylinders. thanks to links supplied in my other thread.

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/coltarmy.html

http://www.howelloldwestconversions...1&productid=806&cfid=2083002&cftoken=13063460

the howell looks better in that there is very little modification to the gun. i love the look of Clints Navy in the good the bad and the ugly and dont want to add a spring extractor or pushrod or whatever its called. what have you guys used? im also confused as to how 45 colt and schofield are interchangable. id like to be able to shot cowboy action ammo by magtech and my own handloads when i start.

Last time I was in HNP they had conversion cylinders in stock .

website leaves allot to be desired but its a great lil shop Chip and Gary are good guys . http://www.hnpmuzzleloading.com/location.htm

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I was going over today but they were closed. Something about Chip being sick. Hope they get better soon. I'd love to check out the shop.

They dont open until 1 or 2 and they are closed on thursday and sunday . I havnt been in there in about a month or so I ya head down again give me a call if Im in the area ill stop in too .

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    This is embarrassing. I went to pop one off out back of the house with my neighbor. I decided to keep things quiet I'd load 18 grains of powder. Well the first strike didn't do it, so I restrict the same cap and it fired but there wasnt enough powder to propel the ball more than 15 feet and it just got stuck in the clay. It had the same velocity as a paintball gun. We both lost it laughing. I'm definitely going to need to use more powder. Also how hard do you guys seat the cap? I'm scared it's gonna blow if I push it to hard, but I'm not getting detonation on the first shot. Is there a rule of thumb as to not lose ones thumb?

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    This is embarrassing. I went to pop one off out back of the house with my neighbor. I decided to keep things quiet I'd load 18 grains of powder. Well the first strike didn't do it, so I restrict the same cap and it fired but there wasnt enough powder to propel the ball more than 15 feet and it just got stuck in the clay. It had the same velocity as a paintball gun. We both lost it laughing. I'm definitely going to need to use more powder. Also how hard do you guys seat the cap? I'm scared it's gonna blow if I push it to hard, but I'm not getting detonation on the first shot. Is there a rule of thumb as to not lose ones thumb?

I use the RWS/Dynamit Nobel caps. The German caps. I seat the cap firmly on the nipple. You don't want it falling off. I push it on until it won't go any further.

You might get more help if you post in the Black Powder sub-forum.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Just shot one with about 22 grains of powder. Went great! Such a unique sound to black powder! And the smell ahhhhhhhh

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Just shot one with about 22 grains of powder. Went great! Such a unique sound to black powder! And the smell ahhhhhhhh

I used blackpowder substitute in a .45 Colt case. I hadn't fired one of those off since I loaded them until I accidentally brought 20 of them with me to the NRA Range. I touched off the first one and got a lot of smoke. I figured it was just the lead bullet and lube. I touched off the second and I realized this was not smokeless powder! The recoil is different versus smokeless powder, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom