• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdadams84

Mar 19, 2013
    Kensington, MD
    In a couple weeks I will be receiving my dad's Rugger Model 77 7mm Rem Mag. It has a 3X9 scope already mounted. I know it probably hasn't been fired in close to 20 years, but it has been stored well.

Now while I do have a lot of hand gun experience. I have very little experience with rifles outside of the M-16 and bolt-action .22lr.

So a few questions. Is there any where in MD or NoVA where I can safely and legally fire this thing at let's say 500yds? Will the rifle accept other cartridges (like using a .38 special in .357 mag)?

I'm sure I'll come up with a couple more newbie questions...

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    It will not fire other cartridges, even though it is very similar to 30.06 and that whole family of cartridges.

It is a flat shooting round. Good power, and you can get bullets for it from 95gr to 175gr (bullet weight). I own one, and it has been my rifle of choice for large game (moose, elk, etc). I personally think it is too much for white tailed deer (especially in MD, where the deer are smaller), but others would argue that.

The good news is that 7mmMag ammo is still plentiful.

hogrider

Jan 23, 2013
    try using a 100 yard range to start...the 7 mag gives one hell of a kick...so keep your

eye/face well back from the scope, or you'll be sorry.

BTW..this is not me

Attachments

• P1010368.JPG
      P1010368.JPG
      42.9 KB · Views: 241

bdadams84

Mar 19, 2013
    Kensington, MD
    It will not fire other cartridges, even though it is very similar to 30.06 and that whole family of cartridges.

It is a flat shooting round. Good power, and you can get bullets for it from 95gr to 175gr (bullet weight). I own one, and it has been my rifle of choice for large game (moose, elk, etc). I personally think it is too much for white tailed deer (especially in MD, where the deer are smaller), but others would argue that.

The good news is that 7mmMag ammo is still plentiful.

That's what I figured. But I saw how many similar rounds were out there and wasn't sure if there was any compatibility. I was happy to see how easy it is to find ammo of different grades for it.

I don't really plan to do any hunting, as of now at least. I know it's been used for deer down in TX. But it's just been sitting for so long. I'd be happy making sure it stays in good working order.

While ammo for it is still plentiful it's still not cheap, so I'll be using a laser to help save ammo when I go to zero the scope

try using a 100 yard range to start...the 7 mag gives one hell of a kick...so keep your

eye/face well back from the scope, or you'll be sorry.

BTW..this is not me

Yes, I was going to zero the scope at 100 yds. I'm still looking for a place to even do that. I thought Silver Eagle Group had a 100 yd range, but it's a 50. I would love to find a 100 yd indoor to avoid windage issued but so far I've only found them in NY, KY, and TX.

Yeah I've heard about the kick and seen someone get bit by the scope on youtube. I appreciate the heads up. I remember being a bit anxious when I first fired a .44 mag and the 12 ga. I'll see what it's like on that first squeeze.

bdadams84

Mar 19, 2013
    Kensington, MD
    Actually that brings up another question...would 7mm rem mag be a concern at an indoor range? I was thinking if I had to I could sight windage at 50 yds indoors and then sight elevation at 100 yds outdoors.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    300 yards at Delmarva......... there is a longer range someplace in Delaware.

It's a great round BTW, expensive and I suggest reloading or get an 06 unless you're independently wealthy.

bdadams84

Mar 19, 2013
    Kensington, MD
    @ blackbart: I would like to get into reloading down the road, but don't really have the cash set aside for the startup costs.

@armedferret: So far the lightest I've found was 150 gr from Hornaday. So far the rest and most affordable is made in 165 gr.

Thank y'all for the range info.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd definitely hit an indoor range for windage, especially with the cost of the ammo. The NRA Range in Fairfax is an indoor 50 yard range and they allow some heavy hitters in caliber wise. I have no idea where Kensington is, but if you can shoot MOA or better at 100 yards, the fine folks as Peacemaker http://peacemakernational.com/ have a 1000 yard range you can use. Know your dope before heading out there.

bdadams84

Mar 19, 2013
    Kensington, MD
    I'd definitely hit an indoor range for windage, especially with the cost of the ammo. The NRA Range in Fairfax is an indoor 50 yard range and they allow some heavy hitters in caliber wise. I have no idea where Kensington is, but if you can shoot MOA or better at 100 yards, the fine folks as Peacemaker http://peacemakernational.com/ have a 1000 yard range you can use. Know your dope before heading out there.

Thanks. It'd be at least a three hour drive. But we make trips like that a couple times a year. I saw they have a competition that heads out to 1300 yds. I certainly have some learning and shooting to do before I tackle something like that. But it's good to know it's available.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I used to hunt whitetail in upstate PA w/ a 300 Win Mag and my buddy used a 7mm Rem Mag. A 300 can be punishing; the 7mm was just plain brutal but has about 30" less drop at 500 yards.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    @ blackbart: I would like to get into reloading down the road, but don't really have the cash set aside for the startup costs.

@armedferret: So far the lightest I've found was 150 gr from Hornaday. So far the rest and most affordable is made in 165 gr.

Thank y'all for the range info.

I loaded them with 139 gr Hornady, very effective and lighter recoil. I ditched the 7mm because of both cost and recoil because if I'm going to the range I'm going to get my monies worth in rounds fired... I find the 06 much more to my liking.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    i ditched my 7SAUM cause I was just burning extra powder and getting extra recoil with really no performance difference than a 7-08, which will do everything the Shamwow was doing for me (kill critters just as dead and stays supersonic *WAY* the hell past any distance I'll be shooting a critter at) with less recoil, less powder burned, and in a lighter rifle.

sending the donor action and obermeyer blank off to a smith tomorrow to have the factory 243 tube removed and the action trued, lugs lapped, and new tube profiled/chambered/cut/crowned/installed. :thumbsup:

bdadams84

Mar 19, 2013
    Kensington, MD
    Quantico has recreation shoots where they go out to 500 or 600 yards.

Good luck

Jerry

Thanks

Before live firing, I would suggest a bore sight first then tweak with live fire.

Yeah I planned on that. Found one on Amazon specifically for 7mm mag for a $15 if I remember correctly.

I loaded them with 139 gr Hornady, very effective and lighter recoil. I ditched the 7mm because of both cost and recoil because if I'm going to the range I'm going to get my monies worth in rounds fired... I find the 06 much more to my liking.

Yeah the ammo is expensive, but the rifle is free. The only stipulation is that it has to stay in the family. It's not hard to respect that. I was initially looking at .308 or 30-06, but this saves me a few hundred dollars... at least initially. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at long range shooting. If it's something I find an interest in I'll start doing my own loads or buy a different caliber. If not I'll spend $60-90 on ammo a couple times a year to have a little fun with this rifle.

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    I would start at 25 yds to make sure its on paper. I have a rem. 700 7mm mag. and shoot 162 gr. A-max handloads with o.k. results,,, but also had good groups with factory rem 150 gr. corelokts. I am in no way trying to sound like a tough guy but I don't think it kicks that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom