• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Y2kind_bud

Apr 28, 2023
    Maryland
    Hello to all who's reading this.
    I'm looking for some advice/guidance on this issue. I was charged with 2nd degree burglary back in 1998, I've since had it expunged. I received all my compliance letters from the various agencies that is required to do so. I assumed my rights were restored due to the expungement so I signed up for the HQL class. After taking the class and waiting for the results I happened to be researching further and saw that relief is granted only from a pardon. So I naturally thought I would be denied due to that, the other day I received notice that my HQL was approved. Am I reading/interpreting something wrong? I've tried contacting several lawyers with no help, they either take my info and never return call or state that they don't have a restoration rights lawyer and don't know anyone to refer me to. So any advice/guidance would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'm not a lawyer nor expert. But I've read enough here to know that expungements aren't always done properly in the state. There was a bill to fix it last session which I'm not sure passed. Seems like some folks with expungements have issues and others do not.

First time posters should go to the Introduction section first.

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    If they approved it it's on the MSP as long as you keep a copy with you they the MSP would have to revoke it. Can't believe there is any lawyer you could talk to unless your hitting up ones who don not specialize in 2A issues but don't blame you for wanting to be cautious.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    There are a few threads here about this. As was stated some have no issues others do. I have a couple of threads below, there is a lawyer listed in one of them. Some of the info has changed since the threads where started, read the whole thread and pay attention to the last page or two of them.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Not sure what the issue is? You had it expunged and you got your HQL. That's what expungements do.

Maybe. Maybe not.

His concern seems to be, did I just get lucky? And more importantly, will my luck run out at time of purchase? Good questions both.

With regard to a Maryland felony, it seems that a pardon is required. Expungements don't cut it with regard to restoring 2a rights.

It does appear to be possible though, that burglary 2 can be charged as a misdemeanor, rather than as a felony. If that was the case with OP, then an expungement would seem to be sufficient.

I am NOT an attorney.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom