Need Recommendations for My Daughter’s 1st Handgun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Looks like she wants a revolver in .22. Zeroing in on a S&W model 63.

.38, .357, 9mm are too much for her. Plus I’m giving her a 10/22 so the ammo will fit both.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.
    Hey, .22 wouldn’t be my 1st choice, but it’s better than harsh words.
    Once is gets more comfortable, maybe move up to a revolver in 32 long. Pretty much the recoil of the 22, but better for defense.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Imagine the horror of all my female Air Marshal co-workers never having picked up a gun before and started out with P229s in SIG 357.
    Me thinks the caliber issue is best handled with good instruction.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    Hey, .22 wouldn’t be my 1st choice, but it’s better than harsh words.
    Once is gets more comfortable, maybe move up to a revolver in 32 long. Pretty much the recoil of the 22, but better for defense.
    Yeah I get it but she is brand new to shooting and if she's uncomfortable with .38/9mm then we go with what works for her. Maybe go bigger later??

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    WINCH, YOU ARE GIVING HER A 10/22!!!! AWESOME

I know you said it looks like she'd want a revolver. But if she really thinks she likes .22's and might like to compare, how about something along the lines of a sweet Ruger MKII/ MKIII?

I have a MKII Target with the 10 inch Bull Barrel, Very reliable. ( Not saying she needs a 10 inch barrel) as we know these models came with shorter versions as well as the 22/45.

Also, are you really serious that a .38 or 9mm is too much gun for her?
    What about a ported barreled model? Is it the recoil, fear of recoil, weight or what? What do you think are the deciding negative factors of say a 38 or 9? Maybe consider getting her the .22 with the thought of working on a 2nd more lethal Self Defense weapon as she develops and gets a feel for other slightly more powerful calibers.

My experience has had me shoot every range of caliber from 22 on up to 38, 357, 40, 44 and 45. I also started by shooting my elem school buddies' pellet guns.

Now there is another thought for CHEAP(er) target practice. Air/Co2 Rifle/Pistols. She could get good at aiming with lots of plinking and could shoot a shid-ton more considering today's cost and availability of ammo.

Just a few other thoughts. Good luck.
    She tried my 22/45 and liked it but she is brand new and dealing with jams and so forth is something she's not comfortable with yet. .22 wheel gun, if you get a dud, then pull the trigger again. I think she'll move up as time goes by.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I figured this was coming. I don’t 22 is an optimal round…but the new shooter is comfortable with that gun and that round. OP seems to have some background and probably a handgun for home defense, located accordingly. The new shooter may be familiarized with it and still enjoy her chosen arm.

FWIW, unbending insistence on procedural dogma never accomplished much. That is what the fella and his buddy at the match were doing. So it wasn’t my son refusing to learn…he was not comfortable with it. It was blind dogma insistence. Long ago it was one hand, then it was cup and saucer, then it was isosolese, then it was Weaver…all touted and dogmatized and anyone not doing was a loser. Last 10-15 years its “never use the slide lock to drop the slide…”, even when the pistol was built for that…it is blind dogma because it fits those practitioners practice. Sorry, pushing one’s own practices is not coaching.
    Honest truth. :thumbsup:

Add to that…

Just like, “Oh HELL no!” is better than “Please mister criminal, don’t do this!”

In any defense situation, a gun that the defender is hesitant to use, is never going to be as good as the one they’ve become comfortable with and will not hesitate to utilize. The defense must be instinctive and cannot suffer hesitation due to fear or apprehension before pulling the trigger.

Over time… Training and familiarization can help the shooter become comfortable and choose a larger caliber.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    So who wants to get hit with either Federal Punch or Winchester Silvertip in 22lr?

Come on, it‘s only about 37gr and moving a little over 1000fps from a 4“ barrel

Maybe a 22 HP-HV instead?

Ruger 10/22 with 10 or 25 rounds of 22lr aimed COM can‘t really kill an attacker? Are you sure about that?

Besides, this is her starting point. Once she starts to grow into the Sport and Lifestyle, she will be asking Dad or maybe even MDS herself about her next handgun or rifle purchase.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    So who wants to get hit with either Federal Punch or Winchester Silvertip in 22lr?

Come on, it‘s only about 37gr and moving a little over 1000fps from a 4“ barrel

Maybe a 22 HP-HV instead?

Ruger 10/22 with 10 or 25 rounds of 22lr aimed COM can‘t really kill an attacker? Are you sure about that?

Besides, this is her starting point. Once she starts to grow into the Sport and Lifestyle, she will be asking Dad or maybe even MDS herself about her next handgun or rifle purchase.
    It is no laughing experience to get shot with a 22. My first friend to die was 17 years old and if I surmise what I believe I was told, he was shot by accident with an " unloaded gun" he and his lifetime friend had in the friend's parent's apartment. I suspect it might have been a semi auto and one was still in the chamber.

Then, a lady friend of mine I met 3 years removed from her incident, was also shot by a 22 with Hollow Points. Her Husband did not survive his self inflicted wounds he finished himself off with using his 9mm.

She took a Medivac to Shock Trauma and I read her story of how they used a hemophiliac drug on her to stop or slow the bleeding. She took 130 units of blood before it was under control. To see her live a relatively normal life having survived this, is unbelievable.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    How many here saying .22 is fine for self defense uses a .22 for self defense?
    And no. Saying it's "no joke" to getting shot with one isn't the same thing as using one for self defense.
    A larger caliber makes up for lack of accuracy. And lack of mindset.
    I'd rather an UNTRAINED daughter hit the threat outside of center mass with something larger than a .22
    9mm or larger WILL do more damage to say the shoulder/pelvic girdle/bony areas.
    I don't think people realize how violent and fast attacks happen, and yet are worrying about a brief moment of "excessive recoil".
    Do y'all even love your loved ones?
    Blows my mind.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I would not consider getting shot with a 22LR a joke. No criminal ever said, “I feel good today…think I’ll go out and take 3 or 4 22LR bullets to the chest”.

Shoe horning someone into a caliber they are not ready for will lose the shooter, discourage practice which would cause the force fed accuracy to quickly detetiorate.

One can train for adequate or coach for proficiency.

To each their own…it still is a free country.

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    joppaj,

How do you like your GP100? Had you ever considered a Redhawk vs the GP?
    Just asking because I have the GP as well.
    I have the 4" GP and absolutely love it. It would likely be the last handgun I parted with. The Redhawk is very nice and would be my choice if I got back into .44.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I really like the balance of the GP 100 I have. Same as with the Redhawk. I use Uncle Mike’s grips on the Redhawk. Balance is just a tad bit more up front for the GP. Both are similar enough you could shoot them interchangeably allowing just for the differences in recoil.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You edited your post…it was previously suggested I was untrained.

When I need the absolute last word in anything firearm and shooting related I know who to go to…

I’m done.
    Sorry to hurt your feelings. Your mindset certainly isn't with self defense, that's for sure. Because that's what all this boiled down to and .22 caliber. When you teach someone how to CONTROL recoil and show them what it does and how it affects things, they learn to shoot WITH it, because it will always be there. A couple hundred rounds just shooting with a proper grip, not worrying about aiming, does wonder giving the new shooter confidence. Which I guarantee the daughter didn't shoot.
    You know why they lose interest? Because it's "instructors" who have them worrying about stance, grip, breathing, aiming, trigger press, and everything all at once. They start missing, get frustrated and use the recoil excuse as a reason to "not like it".

What do all those poor police academy recruits do when they are forced to shoot 9mm? They aren't there to build up nice weekend range skills for the future and ease into a larger caliber.
    Geezus christ. I worked with a female who used her middle finger for her trigger finger because of her small hands on a P229 in SIG 357. How in the world did she ever manage a career shooting many thousands of rounds?
    I taught a 16 year old girl to shoot steel target hostage poppers consistently from about 10 yards after an hour or so of training. That was with my VP9. How in the heck did that happen?
    I've had co workers MISS targets during scenarios with SIMS and those have ZERO recoil. How's that possible? There's no recoil. What?

I just find it egregious someone would suggest something LESS for their loved one that they wouldn't use for their self.
    If you want a loved one to shoot in self defense, then get them taught properly with a SELF DEFENSE caliber. Save the .22 for marksmanship training and range fun.
    When someone like the OP's daughter doesn't go to the range weekly and "train" to become self defense proficient, she will need a larger caliber to make up for those shortfalls.
    Shots need to STOP a THREAT right there. Not sting them with a deep infection after a few day visit to the hospital after getting shot with a .22 Because a .22 "Ain't no joke".
    When I have seen brand new people start out just fine with large calibers, it pisses me off when others give in to the recoil excuse.
    Funny. Why am I, a total stranger to the OP, more enthusiastic about her self defense need than anyone else when I don't have to be?
    Someone who recommends .22 for self defense needs to use .22 for their own self defense and switch up as that person moves to larger calibers.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Sorry to hurt your feelings. Your mindset certainly isn't with self defense, that's for sure….”

My feelings are not hurt. Trust me, you don’t have the ability to do that.

You have no idea what my mindset is. Apparently you never read my other posts on the subject.

“Someone who recommends .22 for self defense needs to use .22 for their own self defense and switch up as that person moves to larger calibers.

I stated I wouldn’t entertain this anymore but this is too obvious. Nobody is recommending 22LR for defense. Read for content.

And don’t second guess my concern for my loved ones…it is unbecoming of someone of your stature and expertise…you don’t have a lock on concern.

You are butthurt because I didn’t crumble at your prowess. Let it go..agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Art, that .22 looks really great. I have those grips on My Gp-100, makes me want a set for my Sp-101 (and a .22.)
    Get one! The .22 is (or at least was), the same price as the .357...and it was a little tough for me to come to terms with paying real Ruger money for "just a .22," but man I love that gun! It's overbuilt just like any other Ruger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom