• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RightD

Nov 21, 2009
    MoCo
    Good Evening All,

Looking to join an IWLA, and would like additional feedback from folks who have used the ranges at the local ones. There are three that are not too far (Damascus, Frederick and Mt Airy) and I have heard good things about each.

Priority for me is quality pistol and rifle facilities (things like covered positions, a reasonable place to wash up, etc) and a relaxed atmosphere. I'd like to be able to come out and shoot when I want to without too much drama (even if I shoot something unusual looking like a bullpup, etc). Have access to training at work, so classes are not as important to me.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Matt,

The closest would actually be the Rockville Izaak Walton. It is located on Waring Station Road in Germantown. It has a newly renovated club house, 50-100-140 yard rifle range (covered), 50 yard pistol and rimfire range, trap range (currently closed but hopefully to re-open soon). As far as shooting a weapon like bull pup or full auto you may run into a few issues. But if your looking for a place to shoot that is close to Germantown you can't beat Rockville. That said Damascus is very nice and you will have much more flexibility in shooting what you want. I have never been to the Poolesville IWLA.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Suggest you visit each and see what one will fit you best. I have my application in at Mt Airy. Hope to hear in the next couple weeks that I'm approved. In my case, Mt Airy is only about 8 or 10 miles from home so that is a big plus. I've also been shooting up at Hap Barker in Westminster.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    No full auto, no pistol grip shotguns, unsure about Bullpup at Damascus.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    IWLA Damascus has a restriction now against accepting new members beyond a certain head count. I don't know if that limit has been reached yet. If not, it's very close.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    IWLA Damascus has a restriction now against accepting new members beyond a certain head count. I don't know if that limit has been reached yet. If not, it's very close.

I sponsored a buddy at the last new members meting earlier this month and they were still taking new folks. There is a new members meeting on the schedule for August.

My understanding is that there is a number they have set and when they get there, it gets closed off, or more likely a wait list.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yep. Just pointing it out regardless to avoid surprises. I don't know how close we are. I doubt we're far off, otherwise the rule makes no sense.

RightD

Nov 21, 2009
    MoCo
    Suggest you visit each and see what one will fit you best.

Definitely planning to... Especially now that work travel has slowed (at least the lack of competence in Congress has one benefit).

Been reading many of the threads on the subject, and I like the idea of being able to badge in to the range and shoot by myself (once I go through orientation, of course). Also like the idea of occasional conservation projects as well (better half is a critter-hugger).

- Matt

RightD

Nov 21, 2009
    MoCo
    No full auto, no pistol grip shotguns, unsure about Bullpup at Damascus.

Understood... And if I have to take a minute to show that a bullpup (like the FS2000) is really just a 5.56 in different skin that is fine. Just trying to avoid the unreasonably over-zealous range guy atmosphere.

Cochise - Shot at Poolesville a few years ago. Nice facility, but I think the others would probably be closer. I am on the east side of I-270.

Boom - 10-4. Will try and get out for visits.

- Matt

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The bullpup is automatically good to go at IWLA Damascus rifle range per this rule:
    "6. Handguns in traditional center fire rifle calibers must be shot on the rifle range. Other handguns are prohibited on the rifle range, except when firing at targets beyond 50 yards."

It's banned on both pistol ranges because it fires a centerfire rifle round.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I am a Range Officer at IWLA- Rockville Chapter (located in Germantown) and can send you our range rules for review if you can send your email address in a private message. I would be happy to give you a tour and introduce you to our New Membership officer.

RightD

Nov 21, 2009
    MoCo
    I am a Range Officer at IWLA- Rockville Chapter (located in Germantown) and can send you our range rules for review if you can send your email address in a private message. I would be happy to give you a tour and introduce you to our New Membership officer.

Thanks... Will do.

- Matt

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    does rockville require all shooters to be a RSO? Just curious of the SOP between the different ranges

I am also a RSO at the Rockville IWLA. You don't have to be a RSO to shoot on Sat & Sun just range approved. If you want to shoot unsupervised the other days of the week you need to be an RSO.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Suggest you visit each and see what one will fit you best. I have my application in at Mt Airy. Hope to hear in the next couple weeks that I'm approved. In my case, Mt Airy is only about 8 or 10 miles from home so that is a big plus. I've also been shooting up at Hap Barker in Westminster.

Mt. Airy is a great club, you made an excellent choice.

RightD

Nov 21, 2009
    MoCo
    If anyone is heading out to Mt Airy or Damascus in the next week or so, and would not mind giving me the .10 tour, please shoot me a PM.

Don't need to shoot or anything, but would like to see the facilities.

Thanks,
    Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom