• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RealtorMatt

I pulled the trigger on my Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 30-06 for my hunting rifle I will be taking with me up north this fall/winter on some hunts.

I now need to get some glass for it. I would like to stay $400 or less (definitely no higher than $500). My range of shooting will probably be 50 yards to no more than 300 yards. I would also prefer a variable scope.

I was looking at Nikon (Buckmaster or Monarch), the Vortex Diamondback, Leupold VX 2 - I am just not sure what the best value is at this level of scope.
    While not new to shooting, I am relatively new to hunting - so something with good eye relief that I can pick up targets quickly on would be preferred.

Any good recommendations from experienced hunters out there?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I have several Nikon scopes, and I like them a lot!!!
    Buckmaster, ProStaff, Omega and Monarch. Very good glass for the $$$.
    (I've got a Buckmaster on two different rifles that are tackdrivers at 200+ yards.)

Nikon Buckmaster in a 4-12x or 4.5-18x is plenty for hunting. You'll probably use the magnification at about 7 to 9x, anyway, for anything past 75 yards.
    4x is more than enough at 75 yards down to 50 or even 25 yards.

The Leupold VX-II is also a GREAT scope!!!!

Look at Natchez Shooters Supply and Midway USA.
    Midway USA usually gives free shipping on their Nikon scopes.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Also check ouf swfa the sample list. Can find skme great deals on open boxes there.

I got a buckmaster from them for a pretty sweet deal a few years ago.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    +1 on prostaff

Even OJ Simpson disagrees.

Mega+Facepalm+Gif.+For+your+reaction+folder+needs_c266b1_3384407.gif

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am very happy with a couple of Vortex optics and will be getting more.

I have one Nikon, and it is very nice also.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I pulled the trigger on my Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 30-06 for my hunting rifle I will be taking with me up north this fall/winter on some hunts.

I now need to get some glass for it. I would like to stay $400 or less (definitely no higher than $500). My range of shooting will probably be 50 yards to no more than 300 yards. I would also prefer a variable scope.

I was looking at Nikon (Buckmaster or Monarch), the Vortex Diamondback, Leupold VX 2 - I am just not sure what the best value is at this level of scope.
    While not new to shooting, I am relatively new to hunting - so something with good eye relief that I can pick up targets quickly on would be preferred.

Any good recommendations from experienced hunters out there?

Consider taking a look at Bushnell's Elite series. They fall within your mentioned price range. I am very impressed with these scopes. Not too long ago, I'd have suggested that you spend some extra money, and put a Leupold VX-3 on that hunting rifle. I own several of these. They are very good scopes in my opinion, and have been money well spent. Buy once and cry once is what I would have mentioned if asked, and don't look back. But the last 2 scopes I've purchased have been Elites. Zero regrets. And yes I've been surprised by that. These scopes aren't even remotely close to the Sportview and similar offerings that many folks associate with the Bushnell name. Good luck with whatever you decide upon!

RealtorMatt

Thanks for the recommendations guys... I may have to go somewhere to fondle a few of these and get a feel for them.

I've heard good things about Zeiss but I've never looked through one... The bushnell elite had never crossed my radar either, so I will have to look into those too.

I appreciate the down to earth responses... I am used to people telling me I need to get a $2000+ nightforce or a S&B for my hunting scope, lol... I'm trying to shoot deer not look like the guy that spends a fortune and is afraid to get his gear dirty.

Thanks for the help so far... I've got some research to do! :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That is why I like Vortex. Awesome optics, for reasonable prices. Not bargain basement prices, but not stupid prices either.

And the customer service is even better still.

1obxnut

Aug 21, 2013
    Silver Spring, MoCo
    redfeild! comes off the same line as leupold and you get it at half the price of a leupold.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/redfiel...e-matte-finish-4-plex-accu-range-reticle.html

I beg to differ on that one..I ordered a Redfield Revenge from OpticsPlanet thinking the same thing you did ..opened it up and it said Philippines :sad20: MOA marked as 1/8 not 1/4 as advertised. It's a good scope for the price, but not what I hoping for..

Don't believe me?..check out the reviews on OP for them..At least OP took it back and refunded my $$$ (ended up getting a Weaver Classic V16)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom