• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My 16 year old son was shooting his new compound hunting bow, a diamond infinite edge. On his 4th shot, the string broke and the bow has cracked. :sad20:

1. Is this covered under warranty?
    2. We bought this from Bass Pro. I was going to take it back there - or is there a better course of action?

I have no idea why it broke. My son thinks the arrow slipped out causing a dry fire

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here is some more info;

My son said he drew back the bow and released normally. He heard a whip sound, the string hit his arm (he was wearing a guard), the arrow was just sitting in the arrow rest. Here is a pic of the string. It appears to have broken in 2 places; one close to the end and the other where it attaches to the cam. I am guessing this will be considered user error? This is not the first time he used a bow. He has done a lot of archery with the Boy Scouts.

Attachments

• DSC_0083.jpg
      DSC_0083.jpg
      83.2 KB · Views: 1,798

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Glad your boy is ok, that could of been ugly. I would imagine it has some kind of warranty. Bass pro probably won't do anything. If it's a limb that is cracked, contact manufacturer and tell them the problem. Or try a pro shop. My brother had bass pro work on his sons bow and it was never right again. Hope it works out for you.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am not an archer - I am a rifle and handgun shooter. I wish I had researched compound bows before buying one because they seem to be very, very, very unforgiving. One slip - one mistake and you trash the whole rig. Or even worse, sustain injury.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Definitely take it back to bass pro. I bought a used 4 year old Bear that had a crack develop at the cam pin on one of the limbs, they had a significant issue dealing with the manufacturer for warrantied parts, Bear sent the wrong limbs first, then ones that weren't drilled correctly. Bass Pro ended up giving me an unused, new frame and string (a couple years old that sat in the back, and was an upgraded version of what I started with). They totally made good on it and exceeded my expectations. The only problem that this played out over a couple months, but that was Bear's fault.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Here is some more info;

My son said he drew back the bow and released normally. He heard a whip sound, the string hit his arm (he was wearing a guard), the arrow was just sitting in the arrow rest. Here is a pic of the string. It appears to have broken in 2 places; one close to the end and the other where it attaches to the cam. I am guessing this will be considered user error? This is not the first time he used a bow. He has done a lot of archery with the Boy Scouts.

was the arrow seated on the string correctly? The arrow on the rest after the shot sounds like he didn't nock it properly and just pulled it back and fired causing a dry fire. Which will cause the damage you have.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Bass Pro exchanged it (Yes!). My son claims that he did not dry fire the bow. He has used a compound on many occasions without incident, or so he tells me.
    Glad he didn't get hurt and they exchanged it...
    Well if it happens again..something is up:innocent0;)Ive had 3 different bows and none have done that:)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Well I am glad to hear that. It's very possible that "Dad" may want a bow of his own in the near future. :D

My first bow was one of those old style compounds it was always too long of a draw so I sold it a few years back...the second was a Fred bear bow it was ok but I just didn't like how it felt drawing it back. Now I have a Mathews Mission and its by far my Favorite...The thing is with bows you have to shoot a bunch to find what you like. The only time Ive seen them mess up and break is when you dry fire them. Or if they sit in a case for many many years the string broke on a friends bows. Im by no means an excellent shot but Ive killed 4 deer with my Mathews. I enjoy target shooting as well. Equipment is just as important as getting the right bow.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Definitely looks like a dry fire.... hopefully they will warranty it for you.

If the arrow was still sitting on the rest after firing it kinda makes a compelling case that this was an accidental dry fire. Glad to hear you got a new bow. Mighty nice of 'em!

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    Whew, glad BP took care of you. Same thing happened to my son with his 1st Gen Infinite. Bowtech would not even entertain fixing it until it went to a approved dealer. Well, it went to the selling (approved) dealer and they said the same thing "dry fire". Only problem was that when we bought the bow, I took it back 2 weeks later and made mention to the fact that the string was fraying quickly, even after 100 shots. Their answer, "until it breaks, there's nothing we can do". So I contacted Bowtech directly...after a couple of weeks of b*tchin, they agreed to send new limbs and a string. I love Bowtech but hate their warranty...and by the way, put a new hand made string on it, the stock string is absolute junk!

cow goes mooo

Huh? What?...
    Mar 26, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    I just recently went through an episode like this. I recently had the limbs replaced on my Bear Archery Attitude compound bow due to manufacture's building error. The lower cam on my were installed incorrectly and caused an over draw on my bow.

After about one year or so, finally the string gave out and cause a "dry fire" situation. The arrow knocked and launched but the strings gave way and my bow came apart. I feared the string snapped. So I took back to my local Bass pro, they inspected the bow, re strung it, test fired and gave me the "Okay" it was good to go. At the point they discovered the lower cam was installed incorrectly. The next day after about a dozen arrows being shot, "SNAP", and I get to witness the top limp snapping. So back to Bass Pro I went and got a warranty repair on the limbs. I also took the advice of the Archery Technician and replaced the strings too. So after 2 and 1/2 weeks I got my bow back. All in I was lucky and didn't have any serious injury with my bow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom