• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Last year the throwout bearing in my cub cadet 124 crumbled and I was not able to shift the garden tractor. I ordered the new bearing and began taking it apart to get the motor moved in order to access the driveshaft and although it is tight, the roll pins are accessible. This is were the project stopped for many months. I was not able to get the pins out with a punch and hammer so there it sits and has sat since last fall.

I wanted to see if there is anyone here that has experience with this project and would be willing to assist. I would love to learn what I am doing wrong and also know that it is being done right. I live in Kingsville, right off of Mt. Vista Road by Hubers Farm and would be happy to pay someone who can assist.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Unfamiliar with this exact setup, if they are roll pins, and rusty, the go-to for me is to heat them with oxyacetylene and thus remove their temper. They will usually give, or at least be easier to cut to shaft dimensions and drive out. Rusty roll pin in rusty hole is a recipe for misery even with proper pin punches and a lot of lube.

If they are dowel pins, bertfish is right on about the drill.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Roll pins ,hollow centers not dowels pins are not hardened steel usually. Soak for a few days with bp blaster then remove with pin punch or vise grips and twist them out. or heat the housing then drive out.
    That doesn’t work heat housing around them then drive out . Propane torch maybe all that’s needed for heat after they been soaked a few days.

Dowel pins which are solid pins are usually hardened and almost impossible to drill out so heat is needed.

Imo drilling them out is last option because hole will most likely be over size when done and replacement pins will not fit.

Can you post pic of set up ?

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Never saw something like this but - interesting set up.

I’m thinking OPs pins are roll pins that go thru shaft 1 at part #5 and maybe that pivot at 9 / 10

A bit of FREE-ALL (autozone) does wonders if the pins are rusty. It kinda ‘eats’ thru the rust.

A bit of heat if needed.

Attachments

• A43F38B6-5A5D-45B7-AACB-F04E34BE5868.jpeg
      A43F38B6-5A5D-45B7-AACB-F04E34BE5868.jpeg
      135.2 KB · Views: 56

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22