• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Nothing complex...just a seat pad to screw down on top of a livewell on a new-to-me boat. It just needs to be plywood, foam, and camo material. Roughly 12"x20". Do I need a custom shop to make this or are they aftermarket somewhere? I searched Overton's and BassPro but didn't come up with anything. Recommendations on a custom shop?

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’d think this would be a DIY project of little hassle. My wife redid our chairs with zero experience and no record of having any handy man skills.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Joe's Upholstery in Frederick has done a ton of work for me. I highly recommend them.
    Thanks. I had him quote a mooring cover for my other boat, and he came back at like $3k. I'll have him do the headliner in my GTO, but I'll look for cheaper options for other stuff.
    This guy redid my boat seats about 4 years ago. Did a great job and was half the cost of the two local places.

Thanks. Did you drop stuff off/pick up from him? That's a long way for me to go.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    That's just furniture cushions, but thanks for the link. Got me thinking, and I found this place: https://www.marinevinylfabric.com/

Vinyl is pretty inexpensive but the foam is quite costly. Now I just need MG plywood and stainless fasteners.
    True but sunbrella is one of the fabric options. If it were me, I'd pass on the ply and use some plastic material. Can't remember what it's called.

Edit: PVC sheet perhaps...
    Edit 2: HDPE/Marine Board.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    True but sunbrella is one of the fabric options. If it were me, I'd pass on the ply and use some plastic material. Can't remember what it's called.

Edit: PVC sheet perhaps...
    Edit 2: HDPE/Marine Board.
    that's a great idea, thanks

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not sure of your budget or expectations, there are a lot of options on ebay

You definitely wand to use PVC cladding for any hard attachments. I would drill drainage holes through it as well.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I
    Thanks. I had him quote a mooring cover for my other boat, and he came back at like $3k. I'll have him do the headliner in my GTO, but I'll look for cheaper options for other stuff.

Thanks. Did you drop stuff off/pick up from him? That's a long way for me to go.
    I dropped the whole boat off. Think it was like a week between drop off and pick up.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    OP, are you ever in the Annapolis area??

I'm finishing up a colossal PITA project to redo both fold-down seats and most of the cockpit sides and bolsters in an old 30 foot Sea Ray and with the exception of the camo fabric I'm sure I have any and everything you need for your project left over.

I'm using 1/2 inch PVC foam board (made for boat applications) as the backing material. If you use plywood, even marine plywood coated with resin or epoxy, as soon as the fabric is stapled to it you will start to have water delaminate the wood. Whatever you use - make sure there are drain holes in the bottom so the cushion can drain.

Let me know if I can help.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

I'm finishing up a colossal PITA project to redo both fold-down seats and most of the cockpit sides and bolsters in an old 30 foot Sea Ray and with the exception of the camo fabric I'm sure I have any and everything you need for your project left over.

I'm using 1/2 inch PVC foam board (made for boat applications) as the backing material. If you use plywood, even marine plywood coated with resin or epoxy, as soon as the fabric is stapled to it you will start to have water delaminate the wood. Whatever you use - make sure there are drain holes in the bottom so the cushion can drain.

ah damn, heckuva offer. Yesterday I bought a couple yards of gray vinyl and the smallest section of foam I could buy, so I won't be able to take you up on it (as of now...I could always bugger-up the install and have to start all over!). Thanks though (I'll keep you in mind)

PM sent, I could use a spot if help with a similar project

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Not sure this is helpful but I have some boat seats that were part of a Boat Themed Club room. Not sure how old they are but they are firm and clean. The color speaks age but they can be cut down and resewn I guess. They have a zipper down the long side so you could just use the foam.

1026aea4a91d3a502e78c91cb0e5de1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Thought I'd update this. DIY seat pads (no stitching), poly board underneath, stainless staples. Already want to change it up, but it'll work for now

Attachments

• 20231010_135902.jpg
      20231010_135902.jpg
      398.1 KB · Views: 36

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    "Bottom Siders" is an outfit that will fabricate close cell foam cushions and paint 'em to spec. No plywood or fabric, just painted close cell foam that does not absorb water. Just don't spray "Off" near them since the solvent will mess w/ the paint. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom