• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I picked this up today at the York gun show very inexpensively. I generally don't still buy old field equipment because what's available now has no soul. It's all just boring nylon and the golden era of old world craftsmanship stuff is pretty much over. But when I saw this 1950's German wood covered canteen in essentially unissued condition, I couldn't help myself. The Ritter company started making this model during WWII but stopped , probably before the war ended. Then, in the 1950's they started making it again for the Bundeswehr. You can tell it's not wartime because of the markings on the body and the fact that it has leather straps instead of canvas. However, very early postwar models still had the canvas straps, probably because they were still laying around. Later, the leather would be green. Sometimes the cups are marked and sometimes they aren't. As far as I can tell, the only markings on this entire setup are on the bottle. To my knowledge, nobody has ever reproduced these so I assume it was just never issued. I thought I was done collecting this kind of stuff but I'm a sucker for neat old stuff and this is.....well....old and it's neat! Anyway, in no particular order, here are some details for your amusement.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That's pretty amazing. It preserves a link to a bygone age, before plastic took over. It's actually kind of surprising they were still so old school into the 50s.

I suppose they deliberately designed it to be a lot of trouble to unbuckle everything for a single sip in order to enforce hydration discipline. Probably a Prussian thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom