• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Since leaving MD, the only MD-banned stuff I’ve acquired has been AKs, but I’ve always wanted a G3 of some sort. I saw this unfired in box SAR-8 at the show last month for less than what a used PTR costs. Springfield Armory, Inc imported this likely in the early 90s, but it was made by EBO of Greece. I’m still waiting on the Timney trigger I ordered, so I’m not going to fire it just yet. I’m also going to drill it for a paddle mag release with a 3D printed jig and maybe one day install a grenade retaining ring.

Unfortunately, the first ding was when I accidentally let it tip over for the front sight to hit the bayonet lug of one of my other rifles. After that, I did not hesitate to snap a sling on and start playing with it.

Later SAR-8s had a fake flash hider pressed onto a barrel that had the threaded portion cut off. Mine had the threads and splines under the big round muzzle cap, which is apparently how sub-10k serial number guns are.

Also shown with a 1975 Colt 2nd gen, so two things I’ve always wanted acquired in one weekend.

my18SQR_d.webp

UHWYscO_d.webp

RjIHDSY_d.webp

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Very nice! You need the bipod for that wide handguard :) (did you change it to the wide or the narrow?)

Be careful w/ the legalities of drilling a hole for the paddle release (I'd suggest not drilling fully through.) It can be done, you just have to do it correctly.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Very nice! You need the bipod for that wide handguard :) (did you change it to the wide or the narrow?)

Be careful w/ the legalities of drilling a hole for the paddle release (I'd suggest not drilling fully through.) It can be done, you just have to do it correctly.
    The original handguard had the front lip ground off and the retaining latch was never riveted. I’m looking out for an original wide handguard and bipod though.

Drilling for the paddle was declared legal a while ago with the appropriate size hole.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    RTG has new wide handguards. Can't remember where I bought all my bipods.
    Paddle has always been legal when done correctly. Yes, you can drill w/ the appropriate size hole but I still think you aren't supposed to thru drill (nor is it necessary).

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    RTG has new wide handguards. Can't remember where I bought all my bipods.
    Paddle has always been legal when done correctly. Yes, you can drill w/ the appropriate size hole but I still think you aren't supposed to thru drill (nor is it necessary).
    Their new wide handguards are the AC Unity ones with the extra features. I’m going to be looking for an original H&K or EBO.

I was considering only drilling one side and just dimpling the inside of the other as people suggest, and then epoxying the pin to the bushing or using a roll pin to avoid having to weld it in place. It looked like PTR drills all the way through both sides though. The stock photos on their website had welds on both sides.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I worked with a guy once who served in the Greek army. He told me he had been issued a G3. This might have been around 2010-ish or so. His father had carried a Garand when he served. He had spoken fondly of the Garand.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Their new wide handguards are the AC Unity ones with the extra features. I’m going to be looking for an original H&K or EBO.

I was considering only drilling one side and just dimpling the inside of the other as people suggest, and then epoxying the pin to the bushing or using a roll pin to avoid having to weld it in place. It looked like PTR drills all the way through both sides though. The stock photos on their website had welds on both sides.
    ACUnity: Huh, they are ribbed! I get all their emails and never looked close enough on my phone I guess.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

moto.x

Sep 16, 2014
    Can we get sar8s in Maryland? Called Bel Air and they said no. It's not specifically banned on mdsp... at least I don't think so.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Can we get sar8s in Maryland? Called Bel Air and they said no. It's not specifically banned on mdsp... at least I don't think so.
    No idea. MSP Bulletin 96-1 said sporter versions of regulated assault long guns were nonregulated, MSP has apparently never rescinded it or provided guidance on how/if it still applies post-2013, and I’ve heard of some dealers still going with it, at least for some guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom