• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    I found a great deal on one of the auction sites and just had to grab it! SP/4 David XXXXXX who was a member of the 9th Infantry Division, 3rd Brigade, 93rd Engineer Battalion, Company C brought home this SKS in 1970. The vet brought it into a gun shop on consignment. I told the shop about my upcoming book on Nam bring backs and asked if they would see if the vet was willing to tell the story on how the rifle was captured. He refused and even wanted his name and social security number removed from his paperwork. I completely agreed with removing his SSN but I told the shop I would not be interested if his name was removed. He agreed to leave his name and even decided to throw in a few extra documents and couple other little surprises for me. The rifle has been shipped and will be delivered next week. I’m excited to see what else he included!
    rifle1.png
    rifle2.png
    rifle3.png
    Paper2.png
    Paper1.png

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My uncle did 3 tours

He sent home, in parts, a full crate of SKS and (full auto) AKs

He was a motor head and trouble maker. Of course none of this was registered. He traded them away for speeding and traffic tickets to Baltimore County cops and at least one judge. A virtual fortune in today's standards.

He's dead now. So if the ATF reads this they can suck it

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Right up your alley. Would have been a shame not to add it to the collection. Can't think of anywhere else where it would be better cared for and admired. A shame that the veteran wasn't interested in sharing his story but Lord knows just what that tale means to him. Might not be such a happy one.

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    Thanks for the nice comments guys! I'm so curious in the surprises he included. I'll know soon. I have his contact info and my send him a letter of thanks. My sister-in-law was unable to find any info of significance so it won't make the book and I don't think I have time to wait as its going to the printer next week.

IronEye here is a link to my book announcement: https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/new-upcoming-book-on-vietnam-bring-back-weapons.270427/

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    I received the rifle yesterday. All parts match except the stock. I was happy to receive four bring back documents. The barrel has a bend to it. There are some marks where the bend is. Maybe some GI pried the barrel against something? The surprise the vet included was around 200 rounds with some stripper clips! I wish I would of thought to ask the gun shop to take a picture the vet holding his rifle.
    Rif1.png
    IMG_2537.jpg

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    I received an unexpected email today from the gun shop who sold me the rifle.The veteran came into the shop with his jacket and captured flag! I was able to purchase it! He agreed to a picture taken of him wearing the jacket and holding the flag. He asked that the picture not be shown or published and I'm going to abide by his request.
    IMG_8291.JPG
    IMG_8292.JPG
    IMG_8293.JPG

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    That’s awesome!
    My father has a picture of him and a few of his buddies holding up a flag like that, that they captured.
    My dad doesn’t have the flag, but still talks to the guy who does. Dad still visits him from time to time. He told me when he visits they get the flag out, lay it on the table and drink a few beers together.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom