• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    I'm looking for some food storage bags, to store freeze dried food from larger #10 containers into a two serving sizes!

What thickness of the bag have you found to be the best?

What if any Oxygen absorbers have you found to work the best?

Every web site says something different and my hope is someone on MDS has first hand knowledge!
    Thanks

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    As thick as your vacuum sealer will allow.

I recently bought these. They are on a roll and 4mil thickness. With this being a roll you can make it as big a bag as you need. I was having a problem with my clear plastic bags getting punctured when I try to vacuum seal pasta. These bags are good but too thick for my cheap Nesco sealer (about $50). So now I need to buy a beefier sealer.

Amazon product ASIN B07ZL5NDFD

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    I get mine off Amazon. I buy the ones with the ziploc type zipper built in. I also heat seal them shut but once open the zipper is nice so you dont have to use it all at once.
    As for Oxygen absorbers I use whatever cheap ones I find on Amazon. They all seem to have decent reviews.
    So far my freeze dried food seems to be holding up fine. I have been freeze drying non stop for awhile now. I use it when I am camping or out on the boat as easy meals.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    I went with Wallaby brand mylar bags (Amazon) as well as oxygen removers. They're good quality stuff, a little more expensive than the super cheap ones on Amazon but really not by that much and with a good name you guaranteed the bags aren't pre-creased or the oxygen absorbers already wasted etc.

I got the mylar bags that stand up and have the ziplock on the top that way in a pinch we can use them to cook in.

I want cheap for moisture remover (desiccant) because they can be easily recharged if the ones you get are already shot.

We didn't bother vacuum sealing, just filled close to the top (we were doing rice this time) threw in a couple of oxygen absorbers and desiccants, sealed the top zipper, and then used a flat hair iron for the top of the bag.

B0BB5XRFB6
    B0BB693XFN
    B09BPX4J47
    B09NVN5C5Y

^ These are Amazon item numbers (you can copy paste them into Amazon search) for some reason the forum wants to convert them to media links : /

Deadlunch

Jun 9, 2018
    Bowie
    I went with Wallaby brand mylar bags (Amazon) as well as oxygen removers. They're good quality stuff, a little more expensive than the super cheap ones on Amazon but really not by that much and with a good name you guaranteed the bags aren't pre-creased or the oxygen absorbers already wasted etc.

I got the mylar bags that stand up and have the ziplock on the top that way in a pinch we can use them to cook in.

I want cheap for moisture remover (desiccant) because they can be easily recharged if the ones you get are already shot.

We didn't bother vacuum sealing, just filled close to the top (we were doing rice this time) threw in a couple of oxygen absorbers and desiccants, sealed the top zipper, and then used a flat hair iron for the top of the bag.

B0BB5XRFB6
    B0BB693XFN
    B09BPX4J47
    B09NVN5C5Y

^ These are Amazon item numbers (you can copy paste them into Amazon search) for some reason the forum wants to convert them to media links : /
    Thanks for this. I was thinking about not vacuum sealing my rice and flour and sugar.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Thanks for this. I was thinking about not vacuum sealing my rice and flour and sugar.
    If you do your calculations right on headspacing and oxygen absorbers, it will be effective without necessarily causing the bag to completely shrink tight like a vacuum seal, so don't worry if you wind up with a different look then vacuum sealed bags you should have the same net effect on dried goods.

splatoid

Aug 27, 2023
    Vancouver Wa.
    I use Mylar bags to freeze my bread products and the bread come's out of freezer like it wasn't even frozen. You will have to give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom