• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blazzent45

Apr 18, 2017
    Somewhere in Glen Burnie
    I picked up my first M1 at a pawn shop a week ago and I'm still learning the ins and outs. I could use some help identifying the stock ( not original). The receiver has a November 1943 serial number. The rifle has Exel import marks so I think it was a Korean lend lease maybe.....

Attachments

• IMG_20220301_232541113.jpg
      IMG_20220301_232541113.jpg
      31.4 KB · Views: 861
    • IMG_20220301_232816761.jpg
      IMG_20220301_232816761.jpg
      44.3 KB · Views: 855
    • IMG_20220301_232758259.jpg
      IMG_20220301_232758259.jpg
      28.8 KB · Views: 855

blazzent45

Apr 18, 2017
    Somewhere in Glen Burnie
    Thanks for the suggestion, I registered for the CMP civilian marksmanship program web forum but I'm not allowed to post questions. On a side note there aren't any other markings on the stock at all. The only place I haven't looked yet is under the but plate. I did take some pictures of the receiver cutouts.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    If there aren’t any cartouches then it’s going to be pretty much impossible to tell you who made it unless there is something under the stock. Chances are it’s just a replacement stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I bought an import M1 last year. It was an absolute basket case.

-Rifling nearly worn away at the muzzle down several inches
    -Op rod spring had flat spots worn to the point of impending failure
    -Stock was too lose
    -Muzzle and throat gauges were swallowed up
    -Headspace was out of spec

Get thee hence, to www.charliemaloney.com. Email Charlie and set up an appointment for a health check on that rifle. He lives near you, his rates are fair and he'll inspect the rifle right with you, and show you anything you need to be concerned about. He can fix anything that is wrong with the rifle.

blazzent45

Apr 18, 2017
    Somewhere in Glen Burnie
    Thanks Ponder, I ran across Charlie's website as well and was considering contacting him. This rifle is in rough shape as far as I can tell it will need a new barrel for sure.
    303 Brit with a .3115 pill and the second is a .300 black with .308.......

Attachments

• IMG_20220301_235036457.jpg
      IMG_20220301_235036457.jpg
      43.8 KB · Views: 811
    • IMG_20220301_235021087.jpg
      IMG_20220301_235021087.jpg
      42.4 KB · Views: 804

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    If there aren’t any cartouches then it’s going to be pretty much impossible to tell you who made it unless there is something under the stock. Chances are it’s just a replacement stock.

Most stocks can be identified by the shape at some critical areas. Winchesters and Overtons have that V shaped cut at the back of the trigger guard. The “back porch” and the area to the right of the receiver heel differ between the stocks. HRAs have a bigger “back porch” than Winchester or SAs. The shape of the semi pistol grip also differs.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Make sure you get the correct ammo.
    Do your research.
    A lot of people suggest staying away from the heavy 30.06 bullets

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Most stocks can be identified by the shape at some critical areas. Winchesters and Overtons have that V shaped cut at the back of the trigger guard. The “back porch” and the area to the right of the receiver heel differ between the stocks. HRAs have a bigger “back porch” than Winchester or SAs. The shape of the semi pistol grip also differs.

That’s interesting, never knew that.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Thanks Ponder, I ran across Charlie's website as well and was considering contacting him. This rifle is in rough shape as far as I can tell it will need a new barrel for sure.
    303 Brit with a .3115 pill and the second is a .300 black with .308.......

That’s rough, could always slug it and see what it’s really at if your curious

blazzent45

Apr 18, 2017
    Somewhere in Glen Burnie
    Well the muzzle erosion looks pretty bad by eye, I'll more then likely replace the barrel. I considering doing the work myself, I'm handy enough to make my own barrel vice and action wrench.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I'd like to provide a counter argument here.

Take it out and shoot some M2 ball through it. Sometimes we shooters get so obsessed with muzzle erosion numbers on milsurp rifles that you do things to your rifle that aren't needed. If you're making a 2-4 inch group at 100 yards well then that's pretty darn good. Of course these rifles are capable of much more (1 inch/MOA isn't unheard of), but do what works.

You can also counterbore the barrel. This would help if someone with a cleaning rod was a little too careless and removed some material. See this a lot on Mosins.

If you do decide to get a new barrel, can't go wrong with Criterion. I have one on one of my M1s and it's lights out shooting. Kreiger is better, but more expensive.

And finally, you may want to upgrade the springs in the rifle. Check this guide on doing a once-over for your rifle, including looking at springs and the like. https://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-inspection/

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I'd like to provide a counter argument here.

Take it out and shoot some M2 ball through it. Sometimes we shooters get so obsessed with muzzle erosion numbers on milsurp rifles that you do things to your rifle that aren't needed. If you're making a 2-4 inch group at 100 yards well then that's pretty darn good. Of course these rifles are capable of much more (1 inch/MOA isn't unheard of), but do what works.

You can also counterbore the barrel. This would help if someone with a cleaning rod was a little too careless and removed some material. See this a lot on Mosins.

If you do decide to get a new barrel, can't go wrong with Criterion. I have one on one of my M1s and it's lights out shooting. Kreiger is better, but more expensive.

And finally, you may want to upgrade the springs in the rifle. Check this guide on doing a once-over for your rifle, including looking at springs and the like. https://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-inspection/

Sound wisdom.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom