• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    If you get the CZ get a model with a match chamber. I’m a Tikka fan so I’d pick that over the CZ but both are great options. I just picked up a Bergara B14r but haven’t shot it yet so I can’t off an opinion on it other than the build quality is really, really good and the factory stock, and trigger don’t need to be upgraded. For optics I went Arken and think either of their scopes are fantastic choices for a reasonable amount of money.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    CZ457 is the way to go. Varmint configuration since you mentioned matches and I'm assuming here but assuming you want to stick to a wood stock.

I have about five tabs open on my other laptop, trying to narrow down which CZ457 I'm buying next. Likely the Varmint MTR if I can find one. I bought a Kidd SuperGrade last month and I already have two 452 Varmints. Skip the 453 and 455 series. CZ hit homeruns of the day with the 452 and 457's.

If you're going to get into rimfire matches, the 457 MTR's have a match chamber for more accuracy, may be a picky eater on which ammo it prefers. And again, may have to put in some leg work to find one.

For all things fun and precision rimfire, check out www.rimfirecentral.com

As for scopes, I bought last month the little $180 package deal from Appleseed that comes with a scope, rings, and 10/22 base. Bought three of them. Haven't yet done anything wiht them yet because these were bought for my kids and their little rifles. Too cold for them to shoot yet for any length of time (first year). On my 452 and centerfire, I have Nightforce NXS's. Big scope for a little rifle but I love it. I'd consider a Nightforce NX8 4-32 as it gives you the range to get out there while also having a parallax adjustment that can still support as close as 15 meters (or maybe 25?). There's another scope company out there that seems to have great reviews in the precision rimfire space called Zero Compromise, but I have yet to really dig in and search for impartial info and reviews.

Rimfires really are a lot of fun. Get a great scope on a good gun, pay attention to your ammo, and you can really push your capability as a shooter.

This took me a long time to hunt down but worth it.
    163e6822d20d95458b61e0cec2ba7796.jpg

This Savage goes with me to the range a lot. Have it dialed in with suppressor and cci sv. Can shoot it for hours. Bedded it, did a epoxy pour near bottom metal with DIP bottom metal.
    63c7f4ec6bf1a42f88ac9463d88696b4.jpg

Got a Ruger American for my daughter. I really like it also. So many choices! I’d like a CZ barreled action taking Ruger Mags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Pick up a nice used CZ 452 lux. They should be easy to find at a good price.

+10 for any 452 series. A heavy nod to the Beech stocked Trainers or the Walnut stocked Lux’s as stated. Here is my 452 Trainer when I was ammo testing. Sure it was shot off a front bag. But you can see the inherent accuracy of these with the right food…

5b33f974f6d64d064aa4b1debe9d602a.jpeg

Zero reason to do a thing to the rifle honesty. Bone stock, ready to rock. I did re-finish the stock to a more traditional, oil rubbed finish.

- Brent

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Another 22 I like is the Browning T Bolt, this 16" barrel threaded model. My only word of caution here is the trigger pull is a bit heavy for a target rifle. Even with the adjustment al the way out, it's about four pounds. I ended up taking the trigger pack apart (which voids the warranty) and bending the trigger spring so now it will adjust down to three pounds. Either way, the trigger breaks is crisp. The workmanship is fantastic. The wood is gorgeous. It is very accurate, and I can attach a can to it. The helical 10 round magazine is very nice.

rifle-22lr-browning-tbolt.jpg

Last edited:

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Another 22 I like is the Browning T Bolt, this 16" barrel threaded model. My only word of caution here is the trigger pull is a bit heavy for a target rifle. Even with the adjustment al the way out, it's about four pounds. I ended up taking the trigger pack apart (which voids the warranty) and bending the trigger spring so now it will adjust down to three pounds. Either way, the trigger breaks is crisp. The workmanship is fantastic. The wood is gorgeous. It is very accurate, and I can attach a can to it. The helical 10 round magazine is very nice.

View attachment 398691

Another Browning worth mention is the BL-22. They make solid solid firearms. Whether it’s a .22 or a .300 win mag, the quality is there with them!

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Another Browning worth mention is the BL-22. They make solid solid firearms. Whether it’s a .22 or a .300 win mag, the quality is there with them!

Yes. You can get Skinner peep sights for the BL-22. Although the buckhorn factory sights are nice, I like the peep sights better.
    [EDIT] OBTW - the BL-22 has the quickest and smoothest throw of a 22LR lever gun IMHO.

rifle-22lr-browning-bl22.jpg

Last edited:

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I have a Marlin xt22. It shoots nice. But sadly I think Marlin went out of business and it’s has a tube magazine which is not practical as a detachable magazine rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom