• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I’m partial to Ruger when it comes to Rimfire guns, but here are a couple of well priced Savage rifles. One comes with a scope.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have two Savage Mk II's they are both very accurate. The 20" bull barrel is an absolute tack driver with the right ammo, the other is a 16" quiet model (suppressed) and will put a squirrel's eye out at 50yds with cci suppressor ammo.

The 16" is an FVSR that came with a composite stock that I replaced right away and the 20" has a factory laminated wood stock. It's a very good looking rifle. I put a Boyd's laminated stock on the shorty.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    IMG_8007.jpg

The upper one, the 20" was before they put accutriggers in them. The lower one has had a trigger job and it very, very light, but still maintains the acccutrigger.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I just swapped out the scope on the lower in the pic with a vortex crossfire II 4-12x50ao. I love it so far. It had a Leupold, but it wasn't ao and I really like that in my older years. ;)

It's not too pricey, but probably cost more than I paid for the rifle to start with.

The upper has a Tasco 3-9 and it probably cost half of what the rifle cost, but it works great as well.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    What would you guys suggest is a good glass set up for his .22?

I'd look hard at a Leupold 3x9x33 EFR. The EFR stands for Extended Focus Ring, which gives the scope the ability to focus from as little as 10 yards to infinity. Considering the wide range of shooting disciplines that a good rimfire can tackle, it's a valuable feature.

The old adage says that you can't hit what you can't see. That's especially true with what are typically comparatively smaller rimfire targets, and at what can be a wide variety of ranges.

When you consider how often you'll shoot a .22 rimfire, and the comparative high round count you'll fire in one, it makes sense to buck the trend toward "economy" optics. Buy with an eye toward quality and versatility, and put a little cash into a decent rifle scope. Most folks will use their "just a .22" more than enough to quickly justify treating ones self to a decent optic.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Just buy the CZ you won't regret it. And if you not 100% happy I am sure someone here would be more than happy to buy it from you. I will never sell mine. It's my favorite gun!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I was surprised at the accuracy of the Savage with a bill barrel.
    Go wood stock to be classy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I'd look hard at a Leupold 3x9x33 EFR. The EFR stands for Extended Focus Ring, which gives the scope the ability to focus from as little as 10 yards to infinity. Considering the wide range of shooting disciplines that a good rimfire can tackle, it's a valuable feature.

The old adage says that you can't hit what you can't see. That's especially true with what are typically comparatively smaller rimfire targets, and at what can be a wide variety of ranges.

When you consider how often you'll shoot a .22 rimfire, and the comparative high round count you'll fire in one, it makes sense to buck the trend toward "economy" optics. Buy with an eye toward quality and versatility, and put a little cash into a decent rifle scope. Most folks will use their "just a .22" more than enough to quickly justify treating ones self to a decent optic.
    That sounds like good advice. The model you're suggesting is sold out or discontinued.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The Tikka Tlx and CZ 457 are both good choices. I lean toward the CZ. A Varmit or At-One model are both great choices.

The Leupold Uncle Duke recommended is a great choice but they are discontinued and cost more on the used market than they did new. Leupold VX Freedom 3-9 is a great scope to start with. It will work great out to about 100yds. A lot of rimfire competitions limit magnification.

If you're thinking past 100yds, something more like a Meopta 4.5x27 is in order. The CZ is completely capable at 200+ yes.

You didn't say what your budget was, so with the Meopta, I just spent $1400-1500 for you. About $1100 with the Leupold.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The CZ is a solid choice. The varmint models are tsk drivers. What ever you get, make sure its threaded. You WILL need a can.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The Tikka Tlx and CZ 457 are both good choices. I lean toward the CZ. A Varmit or At-One model are both great choices.

The Leupold Uncle Duke recommended is a great choice but they are discontinued and cost more on the used market than they did new. Leupold VX Freedom 3-9 is a great scope to start with. It will work great out to about 100yds. A lot of rimfire competitions limit magnification.

If you're thinking past 100yds, something more like a Meopta 4.5x27 is in order. The CZ is completely capable at 200+ yes.

You didn't say what your budget was, so with the Meopta, I just spent $1400-1500 for you. About $1100 with the Leupold.

I could certainly be wrong, but I think this is a backorder situation with the transition to the Freedom series. Leupold shows the Freedom EFR scope in its catalog of offerings. And Midway USA is currently accepting backorders. Brownells indicates they will notify when available. Can't swear to the validity of the info, but I have seen mention of March availability.

The EFR scopes have long been a challenge to secure at times. Hopefully we'll see these again.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Dollar for dollar it's hard to beat CZ in the long gun market.
    Between the wife and I, we have some very nice .22s. Of all of them, for a beautiful and functional, and ACCURATE .22LR, that would be one of the last I'd get rid of. Mine is an older, European stock design with a nice adjustable rear sight, a CZ 452M-ZKM with a little Leupold 2-7 x 33 rimfire scope on it.
    IMG_6292.JPG

Last edited:

Czguy

Jul 12, 2022
    Maryland
    Alrighty, I've got another question for you guys...and don't laugh, even though I know it's silly and I'm way late to the party...LOL

Looking to get a bolt action .22......yes, yes, I know I should already have atleast one, but I don't...

So, I'm looking at one I can plink with and eventually, most likely, use in matches...please don't mention Vudoo Rifles, sure they are nice, but they aren't going to happen to me...

Is CZ 457 still a good one to get or are there some better options to start out with?
    CZ 457 is a fantastic rifle. It is at the top of the list when I recommend bolt action rifles to people for Rimfire prs and bench rest.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Looking to get a bolt action .22......y

So, I'm looking at one I can plink with and eventually, most likely, use in matches...

please don't mention Vudoo Rifles,

Is CZ 457 still a good one to get or are there some better options to start out with?

CZ457 is the way to go. Varmint configuration since you mentioned matches and I'm assuming here but assuming you want to stick to a wood stock.

I have about five tabs open on my other laptop, trying to narrow down which CZ457 I'm buying next. Likely the Varmint MTR if I can find one. I bought a Kidd SuperGrade last month and I already have two 452 Varmints. Skip the 453 and 455 series. CZ hit homeruns of the day with the 452 and 457's.

If you're going to get into rimfire matches, the 457 MTR's have a match chamber for more accuracy, may be a picky eater on which ammo it prefers. And again, may have to put in some leg work to find one.

For all things fun and precision rimfire, check out www.rimfirecentral.com

As for scopes, I bought last month the little $180 package deal from Appleseed that comes with a scope, rings, and 10/22 base. Bought three of them. Haven't yet done anything wiht them yet because these were bought for my kids and their little rifles. Too cold for them to shoot yet for any length of time (first year). On my 452 and centerfire, I have Nightforce NXS's. Big scope for a little rifle but I love it. I'd consider a Nightforce NX8 4-32 as it gives you the range to get out there while also having a parallax adjustment that can still support as close as 15 meters (or maybe 25?). There's another scope company out there that seems to have great reviews in the precision rimfire space called Zero Compromise, but I have yet to really dig in and search for impartial info and reviews.

Rimfires really are a lot of fun. Get a great scope on a good gun, pay attention to your ammo, and you can really push your capability as a shooter.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Henry lever action 22s are also pretty sweet. Using shorts, CCI low noise, or Colibri super 22 the sound of the hammer striking is louder than the rifle report w/o a suppressor. These are also fun to shoot. The Savages are also a cheap, magazine fed, accurate budget alternative. It all depends on your budget and needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom