My Firearms Are Being Held For Absolutely No Reason. Is there anything I can do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    fwiw I know a police captain of a local force who told me he never has given back a firearm that was given over in similar circumstances. Told me he just sends them to be destroyed and tells people to sue the department if they complain and has never had any backlash. We have had many conversation about this but he won't budge. I consider him a good guy and we agree on most everything else in life. For him it's just self preservation and not wanting to be the guy who gave the guns back to a person with bad intentions. The ultimate cya I suppose.. I sincerely hope you get yours back and I would follow the advise above, document everything and nag them each and everyday taking names, certified mail etc...

No respect for the constitution or the people he is supposed to serve. My Daddy always said we are judged by the company we keep.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Note to self for my playbook:disagree with someone- call them names.

I’m not going to get into defending him but would wager he’s risked his life here and abroad more than some of those who would judge and call names based on this one position. He is a good guy in my book, you see I have this innate ability to remain civil with people whom I disagree.

A name I’d consider calling some of you would be ‘keyboard warriors’ but won’t and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Note to self for my playbook:disagree with someone- call them names.

I’m not going to get into defending him but would wager he’s risked his life here and abroad more than some of those who would judge and call names based on this one position. He is a good guy in my book, you see I have this innate ability to remain civil with people whom I disagree.

A name I’d consider calling some of you would be ‘keyboard warriors’ but won’t and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone who has served this country, I can speak to the "risked his life here and abroad more than some of those who would judge and call names based on this one position".

The service and protection to the country, does not over ride his failure to uphold the oath he took not once but twice. If he can't see that, then he is not a good person. I, as a veteran, do not consider him a brother because of his failure to keep his oath, as well as his flaunting of breaking both state and federal law, without consequence to him.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    fwiw I know a police captain of a local force who told me he never has given back a firearm that was given over in similar circumstances. Told me he just sends them to be destroyed and tells people to sue the department if they complain and has never had any backlash. We have had many conversation about this but he won't budge. I consider him a good guy and we agree on most everything else in life. For him it's just self preservation and not wanting to be the guy who gave the guns back to a person with bad intentions. The ultimate cya I suppose.. I sincerely hope you get yours back and I would follow the advise above, document everything and nag them each and everyday taking names, certified mail etc...
    He’s an ******* and I hope he loses his job at the very least. He should be arrested and charged. Fvck him.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County

I had something written out, but as I often do, i delted it and typed this more PC reply instead.
    Others have summed it up pretty good. He would be no friend of mine.
    You are on a 2a forum and have that guys as a friend.
    Your about me says "lifetime nra member".
    Your friend is no friend of 2a.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    I had something written out, but as I often do, i delted it and typed this more PC reply instead.
    Others have summed it up pretty good. He would be no friend of mine.
    You are on a 2a forum and have that guys as a friend.
    Your about me says "lifetime nra member".
    Your friend is no friend of 2a.

I also type and delete my initial thoughts regularly in order to keep things civil and hopefully have a positive discourse. I just wonder if people with such stances even speak to their own family members if they disagree on a few things. If you can't be friends with someone you disagree with do you disown your family too? MI'm pretty sure most are not usually the same as they come off from behind keyboard but more power to you if you are so principled,
    Throughout history people with such strong inflexible standards usually contribute to the fall of the system or cause they are attempting to promote or elevate -ever heard of Paul- then again he did make Apostle so you guys could be onto something.

and just for fun lets just disregard and cast out people and the 10's of thousands donated to said 2A groups, volunteering teaching kids how to shoot, hunter safety, standing as a reference for WC and other state/federal applications for many others, countless range officer hours donated and not to mention risking life and limb for over 40 years daily yeah no friend of mine... oh and lets not forget repeated testimony and letters written to MGA.

I posted to give the OP some indication of how some of these guys think and to remind him to document and wish him well in case he hits some bumps in the road. Real life experience is usually better than someones opinion in my experience- or we can just call the police names and say how corrupt they are and protest- oh wait.....

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    As someone who has served this country, I can speak to the "risked his life here and abroad more than some of those who would judge and call names based on this one position".

The service and protection to the country, does not over ride his failure to uphold the oath he took not once but twice. If he can't see that, then he is not a good person. I, as a veteran, do not consider him a brother because of his failure to keep his oath, as well as his flaunting of breaking both state and federal law, without consequence to him.

D I appreciate your point which is why I give him so much shit on the regular but for me to conclude, not a good person, is a stretch for me based on the entirety of things. I also have respect for the way you carry yourself online and in person.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Permit me to dogpile on your police captain, with a short quote from the BoR:

Amendment 4
    - Protection from Unreasonable Searches and Seizures

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched and the persons or things to be seized.

He sadly typifies the LEO mentality of seizing property which might conceivably have come from a criminal act, and keeping it. The government has gone way overboard with this, and with seizing real property under Eminent Domain.

We have a government with considerably more power that originally intended, and it uses its powers in a manner that is at odds with the controlling document which defines its authority.

Your acquaintance is, for all his good intentions, truly an enemy of the people.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    D I appreciate your point which is why I give him so much shit on the regular but for me to conclude, not a good person, is a stretch for me based on the entirety of things. I also have respect for the way you carry yourself online and in person.

Plenty of people who are good in the eyes of friends or family do things to strangers that are not good. A truely good person realizes they are in the wrong, changes, and tries to make things right. Somebody who refuses to see that they are doing something that is wrong has a serious character flaw that needs to be addressed. I'm sorry you think we are going overboard about this, but if you weren't friends with him and heard about this would you really think he is a good person?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Permit me to dogpile on your police captain, with a short quote from the BoR:

He sadly typifies the LEO mentality of seizing property which might conceivably have come from a criminal act, and keeping it. The government has gone way overboard with this, and with seizing real property under Eminent Domain.

We have a government with considerably more power that originally intended, and it uses its powers in a manner that is at odds with the controlling document which defines its authority.

Your acquaintance is, for all his good intentions, truly an enemy of the people.

Typifies the MYTH.

NOT the normal practice.

I met a few LEOs with his anti Guns for the citizen attitude over the years. But there was nothing “typical” as your sentence indicates.

If this ? Captain IS in fact taking and destroying the personal property of the citizen. He is truly a POS who is violating his oath. And eventually he will be caught and have to pay for what he has illegally destroyed.

I think he is just someone who likes to boast. It’s the internet.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I also type and delete my initial thoughts regularly in order to keep things civil and hopefully have a positive discourse. I just wonder if people with such stances even speak to their own family members if they disagree on a few things. If you can't be friends with someone you disagree with do you disown your family too? MI'm pretty sure most are not usually the same as they come off from behind keyboard but more power to you if you are so principled

I would most certainly say the same to a friend or acquaintance. This guy not only condones destroying someone’s firearms, HE DOES IT. Big difference. This, when he knows full well that his DUTY is to return them when deemed safe. He destroys people’s property, money, potentially family heirlooms. If he were to destroy my guns, he’d burn more than he makes in a year. His flippant attitude speaks volumes about his character. Civil rights are NOT based on HIS interpretation. If you are able to argue otherwise, you need to examine your soul.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

I would most certainly say the same to a friend or acquaintance. This guy not only condones destroying someone’s firearms, HE DOES IT. Big difference. This, when he knows full well that his DUTY is to return them when deemed safe. He destroys people’s property, money, potentially family heirlooms. If he were to destroy my guns, he’d burn more than he makes in a year. His flippant attitude speaks volumes about his character. Civil rights are NOT based on HIS interpretation. If you are able to argue otherwise, you need to examine your soul.
    ^^ These exactly.

F5guy, your friend isn't saying 'people have no need for an AR', or 'who needs more than a shotgun', he is willfully violating his oath, and the Constitution. He may be a fine man in many respects, but this one transgression does, in many of our opinions, make him a bad guy.

It's kind of like when I hear woman say 'my husband is very good man, except when he beats me'.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I also type and delete my initial thoughts regularly in order to keep things civil and hopefully have a positive discourse. I just wonder if people with such stances even speak to their own family members if they disagree on a few things. If you can't be friends with someone you disagree with do you disown your family too? MI'm pretty sure most are not usually the same as they come off from behind keyboard but more power to you if you are so principled,

This is not a disagreement about ideas, this is someone who is violating the law and subverting the Constitution.

He is trampling peoples rights. In VIOLATION of his oath. Both as a police officer and a former member of the military.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The process to get my firearms back took over a year.
    Don't feel bad, I'm coming up on 3 years for a firearm that I have to give to somebody, due to inheritance, being that I'm the executor of the estate. The gun was stolen while the man was alive, recovered while the man was alive, federal court cases have been dragging on for 2 years now with continuance after continuance and covid crap. I'm pissed, the person inheriting the gun is pissed. Fvck the DEA and federal courts.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    For future reference, and in the event someone happens upon this thread with a similar problem, I'll offer that anyone in OP's shoes is welcome to reach out to me. I have resolved this issue for dozens of clients across multiple jurisdictions (DV protective orders, ERPO's [red flag], confiscation concomitant with arrests, etc.). 70% of the time, I don't even invoice clients for this as it absolutely galls me the BS the state tries to get away with.

OP, I'm glad you managed to get them returned.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For future reference, and in the event someone happens upon this thread with a similar problem, I'll offer that anyone in OP's shoes is welcome to reach out to me. I have resolved this issue for dozens of clients across multiple jurisdictions (DV protective orders, ERPO's [red flag], confiscation concomitant with arrests, etc.). 70% of the time, I don't even invoice clients for this as it absolutely galls me the BS the state tries to get away with.

OP, I'm glad you managed to get them returned.

Good on ya KIB. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom