• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I've been increasing my range time recently and trying lots of different pieces. During the second half of my time with Mother Navy, I was carrying black rifles and M9's an awful lot.
    I don't know if I'm committing some kind of heresy by saying this but I think I prefer the M1 over scary black rifles.

The M1 is heavier, the ammo is heavier, the ammo is more expensive, its ammo capacity is limited but even as a duffer with tired eyes and iron sights I can shoot that thing better than an AR. It hits harder and reaches further. An M1 trigger feels better than any military issued rifle I used and certainly better than the crap trigger in the rifle I built. I know it's probably terrible compared to anything AR for short/medium ranges and "urban pacification" but if the kevlar-clad deer (as the Joetard likes to say) is 75yds away or greater, why would you not use this tool?

Maybe I'm just having some kind of a nostalgic Fudd moment but I say that this rifle's time is not yet over.

1674479858824.png

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I've been increasing my range time recently and trying lots of different pieces. During the second half of my time with Mother Navy, I was carrying black rifles and M9's an awful lot.
    I don't know if I'm committing some kind of heresy by saying this but I think I prefer the M1 over scary black rifles.

The M1 is heavier, the ammo is heavier, the ammo is more expensive, its ammo capacity is limited but even as a duffer with tired eyes and iron sights I can shoot that thing better than an AR. It hits harder and reaches further. An M1 trigger feels better than any military issued rifle I used and certainly better than the crap trigger in the rifle I built. I know it's probably terrible compared to anything AR for short/medium ranges and "urban pacification" but if the kevlar-clad deer (as the Joetard likes to say) is 75yds away or greater, why would you not use this tool?

Maybe I'm just having some kind of a nostalgic Fudd moment but I say that this rifle's time is not yet over.

View attachment 397926
    Not to mention you can probably hit them at a range where they can't hit you. You can hit them hiding behind a tree or many other obstacles. And it won the war it was made for.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I love shooting my Garand. But the ammo is expensive and I have a hard time paying $1 or more a round. I don’t have the space right now to reload. So I’m at an impasse.

I’m gonna go on record here. haha

I don’t particularly like shooting the 1903. The 1917 (for the time period is an exceptionally pleasant platform). And bolt action vs semi automatic doesn’t go through ammo as fast.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I love shooting my Garand. But the ammo is expensive and I have a hard time paying $1 or more a round. I don’t have the space right now to reload. So I’m at an impasse.

I’m gonna go on record here. haha

I don’t particularly like shooting the 1903. The 1917 (for the time period is an exceptionally pleasant platform). And bolt action vs semi automatic doesn’t go through ammo as fast.
    With the price and scarcity of powder and primers, I'm not sure that reloading is any more economical. I do have two friends who reload so I book a day with them at their convenience, and we have a reloading party. I buy the materials and I save all of my brass. Like you, I don't have space for reloading equipment at the moment.

Just FYI- Right now, there's a bunch of Turkish MKE surplus on the market for around. .75/round. I bought some and it shot perfectly fine. The only turd in the punchbowl is that you need to avoid ammo produced in 1964-66. Apparently the brass is brittle and they were overcharged. A few M1 rifles have been damaged by this. My MKE is 1968 and later and has been fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom