My dad thinks the Internet has unlimited ammo/mags/parts at normal prices...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    So I'm on the road for business, and am blessed to have a father that's very pro constitution. He has no problem with me sending stuff to him and storing it for 6 months until I can get to his place on the way back to MD.

However, I made an early mistake with some ammo I had sent to his place. You see I won't be there for a bit, so I am sure I can find plenty of deals between now and then to get a decent stock of ammo. Knowing this I told him he could take as much ammo from what was being shipped at 50 cents a shot. He laid claim to all 2000 rounds by depositing a grand into my bank account before checking with me on a split (I would never have guessed that he'd do such a thing). I laughed about it as my dad is helping me out and I knew I could come across more ammo eventually, but then he called me up asking if I could get some more ammo from the Internet for him.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that getting the 2k rounds was very lucky, and instead told him no problem, but it might be a while. I'm pretty sure he thinks I have some secrete supplier on the Internet, as he wants me to order him Pmags as well (again, my fault for having him open up a box of ten Pmags to verify that all of them were in there, and then offering him one when he remarked on how "neat" they were). Now he wants 9 more at $15 dollars each (luckily for him I have a fairly old backorder for another 10 Pmags from a different company).

To compensate him for serving as my post office box while I am on the road I bought him a .22 conversion kit, a stripped lower, a lpk, and a charging handle to add to some spare AR parts he has lying around to make a dedicated AR 22. But in seeing how ammo is nealy 20 cents a shot locally he has asked me to get some .22 ammo for him from the Internet.

My dad is a smart guy, but for whatever reason just doesn't associate the Internet with just being a real time mail order catalogue. It's partly my fault for enabling him and not saying no, but he's my dad so I just have to grit my teeth and set up a few more webpage trackers.

hogrider

Jan 23, 2013
    I had a hard time trusting the computer...verses the old typewriter.

I still don't understand "cloud data storage"

give it time

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    So I'm on the road for business, and am blessed to have a father that's very pro constitution. He has no problem with me sending stuff to him and storing it for 6 months until I can get to his place on the way back to MD.

However, I made an early mistake with some ammo I had sent to his place. You see I won't be there for a bit, so I am sure I can find plenty of deals between now and then to get a decent stock of ammo. Knowing this I told him he could take as much ammo from what was being shipped at 50 cents a shot. He laid claim to all 2000 rounds by depositing a grand into my bank account before checking with me on a split (I would never have guessed that he'd do such a thing). I laughed about it as my dad is helping me out and I knew I could come across more ammo eventually, but then he called me up asking if I could get some more ammo from the Internet for him.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that getting the 2k rounds was very lucky, and instead told him no problem, but it might be a while. I'm pretty sure he thinks I have some secrete supplier on the Internet, as he wants me to order him Pmags as well (again, my fault for having him open up a box of ten Pmags to verify that all of them were in there, and then offering him one when he remarked on how "neat" they were). Now he wants 9 more at $15 dollars each (luckily for him I have a fairly old backorder for another 10 Pmags from a different company).

To compensate him for serving as my post office box while I am on the road I bought him a .22 conversion kit, a stripped lower, a lpk, and a charging handle to add to some spare AR parts he has lying around to make a dedicated AR 22. But in seeing how ammo is nealy 20 cents a shot locally he has asked me to get some .22 ammo for him from the Internet.

My dad is a smart guy, but for whatever reason just doesn't associate the Internet with just being a real time mail order catalogue. It's partly my fault for enabling him and not saying no, but he's my dad so I just have to grit my teeth and set up a few more webpage trackers.

Sounds like Father & Son bonding time on a computer when you get to his place.. :D

Javantalith

Jan 18, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    This whole business of late has been a father/son bonding time for me and my dad. Neither of us own AR's but we put it in our heads that we have to build our own before the end of the year. So every day is a coordination between me and him searching out the perfect parts in stock and chasing down rumors here and there. I probably talk to my father now more in a week then i did in a year during my teens.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    I view AR-15 building these days as the modern 2A version of working on a classic car... finding just the right parts, assembling them together, and occasionally paying a bit extra so you can get it just right.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Oh he gets a kick out of the stuff I send back there. The last time he tried to trick out an AR C-mores were top notch and if a mag was plastic it was crap. So sending home Geissele 3-gun fcg, BAD A.S.S. short throw safety, raptor charging handle, aimpoint pro, and Pmags has blown his mind.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    My father called me the other today to mention that 22LR ammo seems to be really hard to find right now. No kidding? Then he asked why. Oh boy. :)

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    "My dad thinks the Internet has unlimited ammo/mags/parts at normal prices..."

35632024.jpg

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    I can sympathize is another way... I have a friend who got a used GLOCK with only a 10 round mag. I offered to sell him three mags at what I bought them for pre-panic ($25 each). Now he's upset that I won't sell him more mags at the same price... I told him that these days it'll cost me at least $35 to replace any more I sell him (if you can find G17 17 round mags cheaper, please let me know). Wish more people had stocked up prior to this (I did what I could, but I still don't feel like I stocked up nearly enough). He just doesn't seem to understand that just because I used to be able to get stuff cheap doesn't mean I still can.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I was in the Eldersburg Walmart yesterday, when 3 small cases of ammo were brought up; some .22, .45, and .40 bulk packs. Within SECONDS a small crowd appeared, and formed a line. It was all spoken for in minutes.

SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    My dad's the opposite. He'll shop around brick and mortar stores endlessly for the best deal. If I tell him I could have gotten the same thing cheaper online, he just looks at me and shakes his head. Although he gets on the Internet occasionally, I think he thinks the Internet is a big conspiracy aimed at taking his money. It's too mysterious and therefore cannot be trusted.

SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    I was in the Eldersburg Walmart yesterday, when 3 small cases of ammo were brought up; some .22, .45, and .40 bulk packs. Within SECONDS a small crowd appeared, and formed a line. It was all spoken for in minutes.

God I love America.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    My dad's the opposite. He'll shop around brick and mortar stores endlessly for the best deal. If I tell him I could have gotten the same thing cheaper online, he just looks at me and shakes his head. Although he gets on the Internet occasionally, I think he thinks the Internet is a big conspiracy aimed at taking his money. It's too mysterious and therefore cannot be trusted.

My father is exactly the same way. He'll spend $100 in fuel driving to multiple States trying to find exactly what he wants, even if it's a $10 or $20 item. Yet he can buy it online (if in stock) and have it delivered to his door in few days for relatively trivial shipping charges. If, for example, I try to explain to him that buying from Cabela's online is no different than him driving to and buying from their brick-and-mortar store 75 miles away, it usually doesn't compute for him. Somehow going there in person is magical, despite that what he wants is usually out of stock and he wasted his time and fuel money because he didn't bother to call first. Then he complains. Ugh.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Spontaneous eruption...

of wallet cabbage.

risk

Dec 7, 2011
    I got lucky and picked up a 10/22 takedown today at dicks for $359 thanks to a selfless brother in arms posting a psa here. It was the last one left. Problem is my brother picked one up from the Internet (gunbroker) a while back for $550. This afternoon we were at my nieces bday party and I told my dad and brother about the new rifle. My dad looked and me and said why didn't you buy me one? And then he looked at my brother and said something about how the Internet is always expensive. My brother and i just laughed. Now I have to find him a TD.

I really can't complain as he brought over to my house a new $2k genset the other day, "just because".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom