• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Well, I am lucky enough to have one of the early L frame revolvers that experiences primer flow and cylinder binding.

She's going to visit the homeland in Springfield, MA for some recall work. S&W was kind enough to send me a shipping label (they pay for shipping both ways) and they still honor the 30+ year old recall.

Dropped the revolver off at FedEx this morning and it is on it's way. Internet chatter has the turnaround time at 2-3 weeks. I can't wait to get it back and shoot a buncha .357 through it.

RonRJA

Oct 29, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a 586-1 I purchased from someone about a year ago or so, from what I can tell from shooting it, it shoots fine. Just for my own knowledge would you be able to let me know what "primer flow" and "cylinder binding" are and how you can tell if it's happening? Also, I remember when I bought it, it mentioned that it had the "M stamp" on it because of a recall on them that was done to it to resolve an issue, is this related?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have a 586-1 I purchased from someone about a year ago or so, from what I can tell from shooting it, it shoots fine. Just for my own knowledge would you be able to let me know what "primer flow" and "cylinder binding" are and how you can tell if it's happening? Also, I remember when I bought it, it mentioned that it had the "M stamp" on it because of a recall on them that was done to it to resolve an issue, is this related?

It is related. Yours has the M stamp, which means you are good to go. Mine does not. Primer flow occurs when the pressure of the .357 Magnum round pushes the cartridge primer back sufficiently enough for it to swell outward and fit neatly in the hole in the frame where the firing pin protrudes, causing the cylinder to not open (or bind). The M modification took care of this by the addition of a bushing, changing of the hammer nose and something else I can't recall.

This issue was resolved with the -2 variations and those after. The no dash and the -1 had issues. Not every one had an issue, in fact, the issues were quite rare and mostly with one or two kinds of ammo. I experienced the binding twice in the short time I have had the revolver, so I am sending it in. That said, it only happens with .357 and never with .38 Special.

Yours is good to go with the M modification. Shoot all the .357 you wish!

RonRJA

Oct 29, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    It is related. Yours has the M stamp, which means you are good to go. Mine does not. Primer flow occurs when the pressure of the .357 Magnum round pushes the cartridge primer back sufficiently enough for it to swell outward and fit neatly in the hole in the frame where the firing pin protrudes, causing the cylinder to not open (or bind). The M modification took care of this by the addition of a bushing, changing of the hammer nose and something else I can't recall.

This issue was resolved with the -2 variations and those after. The no dash and the -1 had issues. Not every one had an issue, in fact, the issues were quite rare and mostly with one or two kinds of ammo. I experienced the binding twice in the short time I have had the revolver, so I am sending it in. That said, it only happens with .357 and never with .38 Special.

Yours is good to go with the M modification. Shoot all the .357 you wish!

Thanks for the quick and informative reply! How long is the barrel on yours? I was originally looking to get a new 4in 686 but found my 586 with a 6in barrel on the classifieds here and decided to jump on it. I still need to adjust the sights a little on it. I love the trigger on it!

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Thanks for the quick and informative reply! How long is the barrel on yours? I was originally looking to get a new 4in 686 but found my 586 with a 6in barrel on the classifieds here and decided to jump on it. I still need to adjust the sights a little on it. I love the trigger on it!

Mine is a nickel 6 incher, crazy accurate and very smooth.

27752216_10159897461865585_8044257613830359527_n.jpg

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Will do, I do know the grips have 1987 stamped on the inside.

Smith and Wesson stocks are, according to a guy on the S&W forum, stamped with a date that pre-dates the assembly of the revolver by a short while. Mine is stamped May 30, 1984, so the safe assumption is the revolver is from mid summer 1984. If yours has a full date, figure it was finally assembled 6-8 weeks afterward.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I never did send my no dash in. I did experience the bind up once with hot loads at the range. Had to WHACK the cylinder open with the heel of my hand.

I got mine in the summer of 86.

I hate to send it in. I still kick myself over demanding a refund for all those postage stamps with the upside down airplane...

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Bought mine new way back, forget exactly. Have fired a lot of heavy .357 loads out of it with no issues at all, guess I will have to check the serial number anyways.

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpg
      IMG_1205.jpg
      52.1 KB · Views: 64

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads