• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    OK! So not many people may care about this, but I have found muskrats for sale.
    You either love them or hate them but, it has been a tradition on the Eastern Shore.
    The meat is all dark and tender and soooo delicious!

Dayton's Restaurant on Snow Hill Rd in Salisbury, usually offers muskrat dinners on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the trapping season (FEB-MAR). You get a whole muskrat with hominy, gravy, turnip greens and cornbread. This year, however they only sold them for one week. Gordy, who runs the place, had trouble finding them last season. He had been getting them from New York (of all places???)

I just popped into Fat Boys on Old Ocean City RD (West of Salisbury) on a whim and low-and-behold they had muskrats. Yes, they were frozen, but they were there for $8 a pop. Fresh ones are always better but if pickins are slim, I'll take it!

Just an FYI.

If you need advice on stewing muskrats just lemme know.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Lexington Market used to sell them. But the last time I was down there was 10 years ago, sorry. They are sold on the market sure as marsh rabbits.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Back when hides were worth something like $9-10 we sold the meat for $5 and the meat was easier to sell than the hides lol

One year in high school I made $10k selling muskrat, coon, and possum hides and meat, plus a few Fox hides but no one wanted that stinky meat

ShOrebird

Feb 22, 2010
    I have 2 in the freezer right now! Thanksgiving and Christmas side dishes. Great Eastern Shore tradition

Nice.
    I bought two at Fat Boys yesterday. Eight dollars each or two for $15.
    They're now in the brine for this weekend.
    In the early '70s guys used to get about $7 -$10 per pelt and you could buy the meat for $2 a pop. I was told that the muskrat fur was popular to make hats, especially in Canada and Russia.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    O gosh went by Websters not long ago and it was all closed up.
    I was sorry to see all that.
    My wife watched the clip with me and was glad to recognize some of the young woman at the outdoor show from her time in the schools. Made her smile.
    My friend Norman is a hard core muskrat trapper. FOr anyone who ever saw the ribbon tape and stakes along the side of road over to the refuge or nearby thats muskrat traps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom