• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pianodwarf

Apr 24, 2013
    Freestate told me 6 weeks (42days) back in April. Today I hit day 80.

I bought my Beretta on April 6th at Atlantic in Silver Spring. The clerk told me that it was "about six or seven weeks" at that point, but he also said he believed the situation was going to get worse, especially since SB281 had just been passed.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    Day 88 (for a 3/23 purchase). What is frustrating - other than the wait itself - is I had another purchase, a week earlier, at the same store, and that ND was received 21 days ago. The first sailed through and the second went to review. At least 2A transferred my XDM last weekend instead of waiting and the only other pending purchase was made last weekend from Lou at Shooter's Discount so it will only be a couple weeks for that transfer.
    I agree that I would only buy a regulated firearm from a FFL following the law and releasing after 8 days -- no more three months of waiting and trying to remember what you bought.

RLBosley

In Christ Alone
    Dec 14, 2012
    Middle River
    68 Days. Finally was able to rescue my Sig 2022 .40 from gun purgatory yesterday! Was a good day... just late for Father's day but close enough. :)

bulletdrop

Jul 23, 2011
    Southern Maryland
    I called the License Office and there recording stated they were processing 27 Mar. I called 2 State Police Barricks and asked what to do about my transfers (seller) that were both over 60 days. They told me to call the License Office. And one officer was a total D about it. They said they would not give guidance as to follow the 8 day rule in the law.

FoxtrotAviator

Apr 7, 2013
    Took them 6 days to move one day? Wowzer! Musta been some crazy weekend sales over the 3/16 and 17.

Well I would be willing to bet, the reason they are running even slower now....is because of MSPs half ass advisory informing FFLs they can go ahead and release after 7 days. It seems to be exponentially taking longer as time rolls on....and it's not like there are that many more purchases now, than say....February..NICS state by state stats are evidence to that.
    They made that ever so backward announcement , likely in response to the lawsuit as a way to make themselves not look like the problem.. And now, while even that is backfiring on them , I GUARANTEE , in the licensing division, they have absolutely diverted resources that were conducting first AND second reviews of applications and placing those resources on the Newer apps coming from all the FFLs who are releasing "early". So they are probably running a NICS and also cross checking with the dept. of Health & Mental Hygiene right away on those new apps. It would only make sense. So therefore pushing all of use who purchased through FFLS waiting for the apps to return (and are on further review) into an even further wait because there are fewer people working on the apps "IN ORDER"
    Just to think back......When I made the purchase, I HONESTLY knew nothing of a delay...and when I completed my paperwork, the counter guy said "OK. Just give me a call in 3 weeks and we should be good to go!" .......I was shocked and SO PI$$ED I would have to wait THREE WHOLE WEEKS!!!!!! .....
    Since it has all started, I pulled myself off of a project requiring me to travel to Asia for the next 3 months. (Would've missed my firearm pickup, and ffl wouldn't work with me....I was going to have to re-apply when I returned) then once I fully removed myself from that project, that's when all these other FFLs are releasing on time.
    I don't want to get too detailed on the subject here, but when I discussed with A&D the issue of refunding my money, or to transfer to another local dealer that releases on time.....let me just say they covered their ass on that one too.It wouldn't be worth the money I'd lose in the process. And when I get this one handgun, I WILL NOT RETURN. And will no longer send business their way. What a JOKE that place turned out to be.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Early releases most likely didn't have anything to do with it. Both of mine were hold and wait. One a private sale, the last a dealer purchase who would not release early.

I listed a pistol in the for sale forum and the member wanted a 7 day release. I called registration and they said wait for approval. So I told the member that and he stated he did not "want to take the risk". Sounds like he was the risk. The gun wouldn't be anywhere on my end. Those FFL holders waiting for approval forms are doing what is safe for them and the MSP. You can't fault them for that. UNLESS you want to sign a contract securing and paying the lawyers to defend them if something goes wrong.

FoxtrotAviator

Apr 7, 2013
    Early releases most likely didn't have anything to do with it. Both of mine were hold and wait. One a private sale, the last a dealer purchase who would not release early.

I listed a pistol in the for sale forum and the member wanted a 7 day release. I called registration and they said wait for approval. So I told the member that and he stated he did not "want to take the risk". Sounds like he was the risk. The gun wouldn't be anywhere on my end. Those FFL holders waiting for approval forms are doing what is safe for them and the MSP. You can't fault them for that. UNLESS you want to sign a contract securing and paying the lawyers to defend them if something goes wrong.

Well we all have our opinions.
    With mine.....I chose "to fault the ffl for that"
    And until someone else can give me a probable reason as to why MSP is taking nearly TWICE As long to clear apps from March than in February when there were more purchases. I chose to believe the MSP is in fact paying ALOT of attention to apps coming from FFLs releasing on time. Just think about it ...they would almost HAVE TO....with all the critics of the MSPs "go ahead and release on time letter" stating that this is going to put brand new handguns into hands of criminals, there is no way they wouldn't be taking every precaution to avoid the headlines of that potential tragedy.
    If these FFLs who aren't releasing on time would follow the law and stick together with all the other FFLs who are, the state would have to, and WOULD come up with a solution to this mess. Like allowing the Dealers to run a NICS check on regulated firearms. Even if only on a temporary , limited basis until the backlog is caught up. This way , while maybe not screening all of MSPs 17 databases right away, it would be sure to stop a smart convicted felon from walking into a dealer and purchasing a firearm.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    FFL's already do NICS checks, that wouldn't be the bottle neck. It would be the other 16 checks (going by what you stated, I don't know the number personally). I understand the frustration. On the other hand when the person on the other end of the phone says you may be liable if someone takes possession on the 7th day and commits a crime with it, you think twice about it. I don't care to get a lawyer to prove the law for releasing on the 7th day and the recipient commits a crime with it.

If I buy X number of guns from an FFL in a period of time and they know me as an honest citizen, then I can understand releasing on the 7th day. For just anyone walking in, an FFL is just in waiting for the paper work. One hard lawsuit could bankrupt many FFL holders.

I don't know anything about this guy that wanted to buy my pistol. I am not stating any facts about him. But think for a moment. Being he demanded a 7 day release to buy the pistol in the midst of all this back up, he could have been setting this up and known he was ineligible to receive the pistol. I don't know, and don't want to find out the hard way.

xcoastie

May 10, 2013
    I listed a pistol in the for sale forum and the member wanted a 7 day release. I called registration and they said wait for approval. So I told the member that and he stated he did not "want to take the risk".

It's possible that the "risk" he was talking about was the possibility of running past 1 October and having to apply for the Handgun Qualification License, causing additional delays in the transfer.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Shoot, the risk of a private sale and the seller vanishing with his firearm while waiting on the background check is probably the 'risk' he was worried about. At least with an FFL you have some legal recourse...

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That's true. All understood. I even suggested he choose an FFL to hold it for him. His choice. That's cool. We parted communications with no ill words. Frustrating for everyone. I lucked out twice on the wait time. Gotta smike and take it.

Job

Jun 8, 2013
    Day 62 for me. :tantrum:

I'm not a criminal. I have my rights. I paid for guns that should now be in my possession. This is ********! :bs:

pianodwarf

Apr 24, 2013
    Some of you may recall that I sent an email to O'Malley about this situation (and posted a copy of that email in this thread). I received a reply from the MSP yesterday by snail mail. It was about a page and a half long, and I can scan it and post it here if anyone wants to see it, but it basically just said "suck it up" in political-ese. Which I doubt will come as a surprise to anyone here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom