• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    In a theory, lets say I have a registered AR-15 SBR already, and a pistol with brace. I can just remove the brace from the pistol with the intent to use it on existing SBR, and I don't have to register or modify anything, right?
    A pistol without a brace is a pistol. A brace is an unregistered firearm accessory that is now considered a stock when added to a firearm.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    A pistol without a brace is a pistol. A brace is an unregistered firearm accessory that is now considered a stock when added to a firearm.
    a brace is considered a stock for federal firearms law, but it is still a pistol under state firearms law.

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    and a pistol and a brace owned by the same person is a constructive posession, though I could be wrong here.

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    Actually, it applies if you have any legal AR rifle, as the brace could be used with it. So it has a legal purpose and constructive posession should not apply there.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Actually, it applies if you have any legal AR rifle, as the brace could be used with it. So it has a legal purpose and constructive posession should not apply there.
    That seems correct. Likely many of us have parts bins with all the take off’s we replaced with other stocks but also own AR pistols.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    and a pistol and a brace owned by the same person is a constructive posession, though I could be wrong here.
    Constructive possession requires more than just ownership. They need to be in close proximity and it has to be unambiguous that you intend on assembling the two together.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Constructive possession requires more than just ownership. They need to be in close proximity and it has to be unambiguous that you intend on assembling the two together.
    The way I'm reading between the lines, if you are caught driving down the road with a now un-stocked/braced AR pistol and an unattached stock in the car, you might have a problem.

On the other hand, if you have an unstocked AR pistol in your home and you have a junk drawer full of AR parts, including extra AR stocks, you probably don't have much to worry about.

Just one example.

I read the thread and couldn't find an answer...
    What if someone bought a braced pistol in Maryland and converted it to a MD compliant SBR with the tax stamp in hand (pre ruling). Can they now put the brace or shorter stock on it?
    I ask because MSP's advisory says they still consider it to be a pistol.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I read the thread and couldn't find an answer...
    What if someone bought a braced pistol in Maryland and converted it to a MD compliant SBR with the tax stamp in hand (pre ruling). Can they now put the brace or shorter stock on it?
    I ask because MSP's advisory says they still consider it to be a pistol.
    The real issue is that you cannot make a "copycat weapon" The current interpretation is that a brace remains a pistol for this determination. A normal shoulder stock SBR is considered a rifle for the "copycat weapon" determination. Semi-auto center-fired rifles need to have an OAL >=29" to be legal, other rifles do not have that limitation.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    So don't label them?
    The presence or absence of a label does not matter.

This is a good summary
    The way I'm reading between the lines, if you are caught driving down the road with a now un-stocked/braced AR pistol and an unattached stock in the car, you might have a problem.

On the other hand, if you have an unstocked AR pistol in your home and you have a junk drawer full of AR parts, including extra AR stocks, you probably don't have much to worry about.

Just one example.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    The presence or absence of a label does not matter.

This is a good summary
    My understanding of constructive possession is that you only have to have knowledge of and control over the components. “Intent” to create an SBR isn’t required. Proximity to each other of the parts isn’t necessarily required - only that you have dominion/control over them. This is illustrated by why your spouse shouldn’t know the combination to your safe if you have NFA items registered to you as an individual - if she doesn’t know the combo, she doesn’t have control over the items and therefore can’t be inferred to have possession. If the upper and lower are in your safe and a stock is in a drawer and the barrel is less than 16” you could be seen to have possession of an SBR according to the ATF.

Same logic applies to how I’ve always heard you shouldn’t buy all the parts for an SBR until you have stamp in hand.

Please correct me if I’m wrong! (I’m not a lawyer or expert.)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My understanding of constructive possession is that you only have to have knowledge of and control over the components. “Intent” to create an SBR isn’t required. Proximity to each other of the parts isn’t necessarily required - only that you have dominion/control over them. This is illustrated by why your spouse shouldn’t know the combination to your safe if you have NFA items registered to you as an individual - if she doesn’t know the combo, she doesn’t have control over the items and therefore can’t be inferred to have possession. If the upper and lower are in your safe and a stock is in a drawer and the barrel is less than 16” you could be seen to have possession of an SBR according to the ATF.

Same logic applies to how I’ve always heard you shouldn’t buy all the parts for an SBR until you have stamp in hand.

If the first part were put into practice, almost everyone submitting a form one, especially in Md, would probably be guilty of that. It just isn't reality.

It's been argued a million different ways on here. With this new brace rule, I'm thinking things will also be looked at a little differently now. Just a hunch.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    If the first part were put into practice, almost everyone submitting a form one, especially in Md, would probably be guilty of that. It just isn't reality.

It's been argued a million different ways on here. With this new brace rule, I'm thinking things will also be looked at a little differently now. Just a hunch.
    Cool. Guess it’s one of those “I don’t want to be a test case” situations. Unlikely to occur unless some agent with a burr up his ass got sassy.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Check out United States v. Thompson/Center Arms

Thanks for the reference!

My (limited) understanding of that case was that it turned on the ambiguity of the statute (thus rule of lenity) and NOT on whether constructive possession was actually proved. Indeed, the decision states that “…Congress must have understood "making" to cover more than final assembly, and some disassembled aggregation of parts must be included.”

So it was that the law was ambiguous as to what constituted “making” and not whether the packaging included the necessary components to create an SBR. Stephen Halbrook (the plaintiffs attorney in the Thompson Center case) recently endorsed this; that they didn’t win because of disproving constructive possession but rather because the law was unclear.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks for the reference!

My (limited) understanding of that case was that it turned on the ambiguity of the statute (thus rule of lenity) and NOT on whether constructive possession was actually proved. Indeed, the decision states that “…Congress must have understood "making" to cover more than final assembly, and some disassembled aggregation of parts must be included.”

So it was that the law was ambiguous as to what constituted “making” and not whether the packaging included the necessary components to create an SBR. Stephen Halbrook (the plaintiffs attorney in the Thompson Center case) recently endorsed this; that they didn’t win because of disproving constructive possession but rather because the law was unclear.
    Pretty much.

The real issue is that you cannot make a "copycat weapon" The current interpretation is that a brace remains a pistol for this determination. A normal shoulder stock SBR is considered a rifle for the "copycat weapon" determination. Semi-auto center-fired rifles need to have an OAL >=29" to be legal, other rifles do not have that limitation.
    Understood.
    I found a way to get an MP5 side folder to 29" (with MDS help). I ultimately went with an AR collapsible adaptor so I could legally shoot suppressed.
    My question that, based on MSP's advisory, can I (no suppressor or flash hider) legally put a folding stock on my registered SBR that would be <29" OAL? The firearm was legally purchased in MD as a braced pistol and converted to a MD legal SBR.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I eagerly await the transfer of the NFA to the dustbin of history. I don't see how all this over-regulation can stand, in the face of Bruen.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

You are not charged with constructive possession you are charged with possession. Constructive possession is simply a way to demonstrate possession without actual possession. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructive_possession
    Most criminal statues have a mens rea component, which is where the intent comes into play. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea

Here are a few youtube videos describing the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom