• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    doesn't the trooper enter this info at the Barracks?

it doesn't seem to be a foothold for a scam as the trooper looks at your ID at the time of transfer.

am I missing something?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    doesn't the trooper enter this info at the Barracks?

it doesn't seem to be a foothold for a scam as the trooper looks at your ID at the time of transfer.

am I missing something?

Yes, at the barracks, but if someone wants to buy my handgun and wants to use the new on-line 77R, he will ask for my SS# prior to meeting at a store or barracks. Sure, I can say, no and wait to do the paperwork at the store or barracks, but others may not and therein lies the rub.

I wonder what someone could do with my driver's license number and Social Security number? :innocent0

I'm just saying.........

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i doubt it but not holding my breath however.

don't want to end up like this

Attachments

• smurf.jpg
      smurf.jpg
      6.5 KB · Views: 217

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    i doubt it but not holding my breath however.

don't want to end up like this

Would you be willing to give out that information to a total stranger over the internet? Probably not, but may I ask you why?

If it's not going to happen, why not give your most personal and private information to a total stranger over the internet/phone?

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Would you be willing to give out that information to a total stranger over the internet? Probably not, but may I ask you why?

If it's not going to happen, why not give your most personal and private information to a total stranger over the internet/phone?

I think he means he doesn't believe anyone would be stupid enough to do that. But you should never underestimate people's potential for stupid imo.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    The HQL is legal by statute and COMAR. Nothing about the HQL is illegal under MD law. See the similarities?

The HQL is not what's being compared. We're comparing the new 77r system to the requirement to sign in at the HPRB.

The HQL requirement is being challenged by MSI . The e-portal is not.

file a lawsuit against the new system if you think otherwise.
    I thought that we were comparing incremental infringements and disenfranchisement (whether intentional or not) and hypocrisy. I fully accept that the person(s) at MSP who have worked to get this in place have done so with the best of intentions. While I recognize that for me and maybe even most people in the state this portal has the potential to improve the process, I really can't believe that it's mandatory use is being defended with such vigor. If we as a group are going to argue that the HQL is a disenfranchising impediment to exercising a right then how can the need for computer access and a debit/credit card not be seen in the same light? Won't this have a similar chilling effect? To see comments to the effect of "Getting a debit card isn't that hard" or "just go use the computer at the library" have me shaking my head. I fear that some folks are thinking that this will be a way to remove the 7 day wait. While I hope that's true and will work towards it if a bill gets introduced, I don't see it getting through the MGA.

swinokur, I don't mean this as a personal attack, We have met at an HPRB meeting and I know that you are fighting the good fight. You are on here every day helping get the word out. I do appreciate it. I just think that thiere are some big issues with this system that need to be discussed.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    no problem with discussion at all. But no one I'm aware of is defending this with vigor. It's simply being discussed. But until a court rules on the constitutionally of any of this, telling us we're being hypocrites is a stretch IMO.

And I'm not saying that being forced to have a computer and a CC isn't an impediment But several FFL's have offered the use of their computers and a CC to allow persons without to affect a purchase.

An encumbrance? absolutely. An infringement? not by definition

just my .02

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Jim, do you buy things on line? do you give them your CC and other info?

there is some risk here as with any kind of online transaction. The site uses SSL encryption so its not inherently more dangerous than otrher on line transactions IMO.

You can't design everything to overcome being stupid.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Jim, do you buy things on line? do you give them your CC and other info?

there is some risk here as with any kind of online transaction. The site uses SSL encryption so its not inherently more dangerous than otrher on line transactions IMO.

You can't design everything to overcome being stupid.

But my CC company protects me from illegal use of my CC. There is no protection if I voluntarily give someone my driver's license number and social security information. I'm not concerned about the system being corrupt, I'm talking about the person I'm giving this information to being the criminal.

Stupid, this is Maryland isn't it?

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012

You are supposed to be rejoicing how wonderful this new system is working... making it easier for Maryland residents to get guns ... just last night, my friend in Pa. called to tell me how their 77r e-portal was working like a charm.:rolleyes:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    But my CC company protects me from illegal use of my CC. There is no protection if I voluntarily give someone my driver's license number and social security information. I'm not concerned about the system being corrupt, I'm talking about the person I'm giving this information to being the criminal.

then don't do it. sheesh. how much hand holding does anyone need?
    Giving your DL and CC to anyone is optional. You cn do this portion at the barracks or dealer.

No different than any action you take to protect your PII. It can't be more simple than that

you can't design a system that prevents stupidity.

Common sense is a good thing, but obviously not required by anything in our world

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Giving your DL and CC to anyone is optional. You cn do this portion at the barracks or dealer.

No different than any action you take to protect your PII. It can't be more simple than that

you can't design a system that prevents stupidity.

Common sense is a good thing, but obviously not required by anything in our world

Do you not understand this is a failure point in the system. Sure you can prevent it, but it shouldn't be a part of the system at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom