• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Makarov Kid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 7, 2012
    Commietown, Maryland
    I know there is going to be a new range, but the current one is pretty bad in terms of ventilation. They made my gun go through a stupid process which will prevent me from seeing my new gun until Wednesday!(Delivered Monday.) And they also rely on their only FFL, Rob, it seems. The employees are good and the prices are good, but I'd like to see my firearm as soon as possible and have a breathable range. Hopefully all of this will change when they upgrade to a new range!

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I thought the same thing until I met a member of there staff who is not only insanely knowledgeable on guns and laws but couldn't be more pleasant to deal with. If you go in there ask for jack, and he can answer just about anything.

Another MDS member has also spoiled me when it comes to this place so I have actually become a fan.

SouthCo

Nov 20, 2012
    I've only been in there 3 times. 1st was to buy a hangun and the 2nd time was to pick it up after the waiting period. That was about 8 years ago. The people I dealt with were nothing but polite and helpful as I didn't know much about guns (it was my 1st handgun purchase). I was in there about a month ago checking out AR's, and had my father with me who was shopping for a handgun. We had a younger guy who showed us guns and talked to us for about 20minutes and was a nice as can be. And I made a point to say I was just looking at the beginning and he was fine with it.

So I have limited experience with them but would recommend them. Their prices, at least what I have shopped for, are very competitive. My brother-in-law and his dad shop there almost exclusively.

What kind of problem did you have? Just curious.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    MSAR is not a bad place, but it is more directed to the law enforcement community, they have tons of knives, boots, glasses, OC spray, handcuff keys, badge holders, flashlights and other equipment for LE and Military. It is not a shooting supply boutique like many IPs on this site. If im shopping for search gloves and handcuff keys I go to MSAR, if I'm looking for rifle/shotgun/handgun accessories I go to Gun Connection or the like. I've never shot a MSAR because im not a big fan of shooting indoors so I can't say anything about the range.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I thought the same thing until I met a member of there staff who is not only insanely knowledgeable on guns and laws but couldn't be more pleasant to deal with. If you go in there ask for jack, and he can answer just about anything.

Another MDS member has also spoiled me when it comes to this place so I have actually become a fan.

Jack is a great guy. I end up talking to him for awhile whenever I'm there. He's a wealth of knowledge and just an all around good guy.

I generally go to MSAR just about every Saturday in the late afternoon or early evening. You can catch fellow forum members lx1x and SCARCQB there aswell. If you see a guy wearing a grey & black GSSF hat, feel free to say hi. That's me.

45CalFan

Stop and Think
    Nov 27, 2012
    Upper Marlboro
    I haven't interfaced much with the staff (haven't purchased anything there) but the range is close and the price is right. $15 (two people in the lane) with return priv all day. We can all agree that the range has some flaws, but again, it's close to me in Upper Marlboro and I can swing in, blast a couple hundred and be back home in an hour or so. Also, unlike Fred's in Waldorf, you can bring your own ammo.

MSAR has been building the new range for about 100 years (it seems) and I can only suspect that there must be permitting issues - why else would it take so long and they be so close-mouthed about it?

At the end of the day I have found the staff to be pleasant, the 25yd range adequate and the price great. Maybe I'll take the AR in there and really make some noise :)

/tony

FatMuscle

Aug 9, 2010
    La Plata
    The guys at MSAR tell me that the new rage will be open the first week in December. I only had one issue with them and that was 10 years ago. Since then, they are my go to place for purchases. I live about 6 min from Myrtle Grove but would rather dive to MSAR. I am still not sure about Fred's. For the most part their customer service is bad and I'm not to please with their rules on the new range.
    MSAR has and continues to treat me well.

akrobatik

Feb 20, 2012
    Nevermind.

I hope it keeps you out of the new location!

Maryland sucks in general for gun owners. From lack of ranges, limited gun shops, tons of rules/regulations/restrictions. NRA Range, Blue Ridge, MG, Freds, Rockville are all up the road have fun. There is 1 Pistol Range in PG County, and people continue to complain. MSAR posts new pictures of their construction weekly on their Facebook page. At least they are trying to accommodate gun enthusiasts in Maryland, instead of whining. Maryland is probably totally against MSAR creating a rifle range, and prob inspecting them every step of the way. Open your own range up or go to Annapolis and complain about the gun laws! When MSAR's new range opens, you will be the first one in line smiling ear to ear, with your Airsoft AK47 with a Riflescope on it, ready to shoot the ceiling up, claiming it is the best place since sliced bread. Deal with it or move.

Makarov Kid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 7, 2012
    Commietown, Maryland

Maryland sucks in general for gun owners. From lack of ranges, limited gun shops, tons of rules/regulations/restrictions. NRA Range, Blue Ridge, MG, Freds, Rockville are all up the road have fun. There is 1 Pistol Range in PG County, and people continue to complain. MSAR posts new pictures of their construction weekly on their Facebook page. At least they are trying to accommodate gun enthusiasts in Maryland, instead of whining. Maryland is probably totally against MSAR creating a rifle range, and prob inspecting them every step of the way. Open your own range up or go to Annapolis and complain about the gun laws! When MSAR's new range opens, you will be the first one in line smiling ear to ear, with your Airsoft AK47 with a Riflescope on it, ready to shoot the ceiling up, claiming it is the best place since sliced bread. Deal with it or move.

I'll just let the troll be a troll and move along! :D

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I wonder if the plans are still to have ten 50 yd rifle Lanes and fourteen 25 yd pistol lanes? The picture of the rifle range on their Facebook page only appears to have 5 lanes.

KimuraFTW

Jul 20, 2012
    Clinton, MD
    I just wear a mask. I like MSAR. The price is right and it's close by. There seems to be a lot of hate for them here on the forum, but if that keeps people away and the wait times down, I'm all for it...

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    When MSAR's new range opens, you will be the first one in line smiling ear to ear, with your Airsoft AK47 with a Riflescope on it, ready to shoot the ceiling up, claiming it is the best place since sliced bread.

Do you know the OP or are you intentionally trying to be rude and condescending?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Actually there is another pistol/rifle range in PG County. I and other of the board here are members, complete with 50FT, 50 yard and 100 yard range (8 lanes on each range), outdoors (so no smog issues) and members can come and go as they please within the club rules.

Also has an archery range, and a patterning board, and a very active juniors (youth) program.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

jack is the man.. :thumbsup:

dealt with rob few times.. gave me good deal or two :D.. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom