• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    This weekend May 11-12 at Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick are the monthly Speed Steel match on Saturday and the Rimfire Falling Steel match on Sunday.
    Both matches are rimfire friendly for both rifles and pistols.

Why Try

Mar 4, 2013
    Frederick area
    Been a farm paper shooter for many years but would like to check out some competition shooting. Could I swing by and watch for a little bit? Any special instructions? Time? Membership needed? Just bring ears? Thanks, Travis

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Are the strange mag change rules still in effect there?
    You probably did the 3 Stage Falling Steel on the 1st Sunday of the month. That started more or less as a practice match for the PSA Shootout at Palmyra many years ago. Because of the number of targets per stage at Palmyra and the fact that no matter how big your mag capacity is you can't load a mag to more than 10 rounds you change them a lot in a stage run. So since there are so many mag changes at PSA they wanted a match that maximized your learning curve so that your muscle memory will get faster and faster till you can get to the 1-1.5 second mag change level. That is why they make you do a mag change when you change to the next target group even if you have done one already clearing the targets on the group you are shooting on. Also good practice for doing mag changes under the clock at USAPA/IPSC matches and teaching yourself to count rounds so you can do a tactical change and not have to rack the slide.
    The Saturday match is our version of Steel Challenge or PA Steel. 5 targets one of which is a stop plate that must be engaged last, shot 4 times per stage. We used to do 5 and drop one but to reduce everyone's ammo count we threw out the 5th stage for this year only so the round count for all 5 stages of the match is100 instead of 125 (if you don't miss). If you have a USPSA, Steel Challenge, or IDPA card you are eligible to draw if you want. Most of the club shooters in the Open Auto category draw their STI raceguns so we differentiate between those who draw and those who elect or are not qualified to draw in an action match. A couple of our stock auto shooters draw also including Chuck and I. It is good practice.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Been a farm paper shooter for many years but would like to check out some competition shooting. Could I swing by and watch for a little bit? Any special instructions? Time? Membership needed? Just bring ears? Thanks, Travis
    Try to get to the club by 9:45 AM if possible for either match as 10 AM is when shooting is supposed to commence. Cost for guests is $5 which is pretty reasonable around MD. Ears and some kind of eye protection like glasses. Watching is free but you might as well bring a gun to shoot.
    The Sunday match, Rimfire Falling Steel, is not like the other falling steel matches. 9 targets including a stop plate, maximum of 10 rounds in the gun no reloads (rifle, pistol, or revolver it does not matter). 4" steel knockdown plates at 20 yards. Average of your fastest 3 out of a max of 10 runs. This is a time plus match, your time plus any you did not knock down. Start is barrel touching the table, finger out of the trigger, safety per NRA is optional. .22LR only, no hyper velocity ammo in the rifles (like Stingers, Velocitors, etc., anything rated above 1350 FPS is a no-no). Hi-velocity like Mini-Mags, or Fed 550 bulk is OK.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

I made it once to a pin shoot at MPC. If you can make it, definitely go and take your gun. Everyone was super friendly and helpful to the noobs (like me).

I'd considered going to just watch the first time, and I would have been kicking myself. So go and have fun! Just show up early for the rules/safety run through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom