• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Howdy all!

We have in our house a lovey little AP5-p (MP5k) that sports a single point sling. I know the brain trust has some insight and after a search, I didn’t necessarily yield what I was looking for.

So with the single point, I’m wanting a riser high enough to clear the front sight hood, and not interfere with the charging handle / irons. I spied this -

Which allows me full range of the irons, an unobstructed view looking forward, and it appears to be mounted to a Kurtz mode in the pictures.

So I was thinking that coupled with a 507c X2 would fit the bill splendidly. I know there will be optic discussions galore…this is more a question of risers. The Holo sits nice and flat on top what will already be a raised mount. I’m *thinking* it will be good for a slung cheek weld.

Thanks for your consideration!
    - Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You don't need a cheek weld if your sight is high enough when it comes into your eye line. It allows for a faster presentation too.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    ^ What SG says. There are low mounts avail (hkparts?) that can put a small red dot cowitness or lower 1/3.

Edit:
    MFI is the manufacturer. They make a line of a couple different ultra-low HK mounts and the suggested optics. I've been meaning to get one but the one I wanted was out of stock last time I checked. Prob time to look again...

Here are a couple more of their mounts and a link to the manufacturer's web page:

^ What SG says. There are low mounts avail (hkparts?) that can put a small red dot cowitness or lower 1/3.

Edit:
    MFI is the manufacturer. They make a line of a couple different ultra-low HK mounts and the suggested optics. I've been meaning to get one but the one I wanted was out of stock last time I checked. Prob time to look again...

Here are a couple more of their mounts and a link to the manufacturer's web page:
    Battlesteel is who made mine. I think they cost $45-$50. I have a Sig optic- I think it is a Romeo 5.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    You don't need a cheek weld if your sight is high enough when it comes into your eye line. It allows for a faster presentation too.

That’s what I am after. Heads up shooting.

So the question is, how high do I go on the rail to accommodate a low profile optic such as the 507c X2. I’m not super interested in red dot being lower 1/3, I want the dot to have front hood clearance. While if I HAD to use irons in the event of failure, I could look through the mount.

Perhaps go with a low pro rail like some of mentioned and the 507 sitting on a Scalerworks LEAP04, then the question is, do I go 1.93…think I might want that, no?

Appreciate your help, everyone.

- Brent

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Why not a 503 on a hollow riser mount (IIRC it comes w/ a tall one in the box)? You could then play with it at either height. I would think its harder to find the dot the higher off the bore you get. When you are already looking down the sights/barrel-ish the dot would be right there. Farther up you go you lose that point of reference and have to hunt.

I think a 503 is far more rugged than a 507. (and less expensive too!) I have both. I'm pretty sure dropping an MP5 on a 507 will result in a broken 507 ;)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That’s what I am after. Heads up shooting.

So the question is, how high do I go on the rail to accommodate a low profile optic such as the 507c X2. I’m not super interested in red dot being lower 1/3, I want the dot to have front hood clearance. While if I HAD to use irons in the event of failure, I could look through the mount.
    Honestly, not to dig on you, but digging on you :) ..... if you can't make self defense distance shots on a threat, especially with a carbine
    "in case of dot failure", then you should practice some without sights.

Pro tip: If you get the center of red dot window glass on center mass, you are going to land shots. You have from the forehead, all the way down to the guy to land shots. Windage is not going to be an issue. Shoot your sight turned off, you'll be amazed. Get into that uncomfortable zone.

People worry/rely waaaaaaaay too much about 1) co-witnessing 2) red dot failure.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Honestly, not to dig on you, but digging on you :) ..... if you can't make self defense distance shots on a threat, especially with a carbine
    "in case of dot failure", then you should practice some without sights.

Pro tip: If you get the center of red dot window glass on center mass, you are going to land shots. You have from the forehead, all the way down to the guy to land shots. Windage is not going to be an issue. Shoot your sight turned off, you'll be amazed. Get into that uncomfortable zone.

People worry/rely waaaaaaaay too much about 1) co-witnessing 2) red dot failure.

Ok maybe my point wasn’t clear…correct we’re not talking point shooting. In a perfect world the k stays in the k’s range. In less than perfect situations needs arise where one may have to take long shots…dude you know the drill. It’s boy scouts motto. I’d rather know that if I had to put effective fire on a target behind hardcover (a shoulder and a head) I will have a semi-fighting chance to do so.

I have a red dot on a low to the gun set up now. I have to search for the sight low when coming up with the sling. I didn’t used to have that problem, the sling, until very recently. So my cheek weld is a chin weld with weapon pressed out.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ok maybe my point wasn’t clear…correct we’re not talking point shooting. In a perfect world the k stays in the k’s range. In less than perfect situations needs arise where one may have to take long shots…dude you know the drill. It’s boy scouts motto. I’d rather know that if I had to put effective fire on a target behind hardcover (a shoulder and a head) I will have a semi-fighting chance to do so.

I have a red dot on a low to the gun set up now. I have to search for the sight low when coming up with the sling. I didn’t used to have that problem, the sling, until very recently. So my cheek weld is a chin weld with weapon pressed out.

I wish you well in your next firefight with your HK :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you're trying to chin weld off the sling SAS-style, all I can say is you're gonna need to dry-fire practice like crazy to make it fast and consistent (which one assumes the SAS also did). The optic height plays into it somewhat, but I doubt that's your real problem - consider that the SAS were just using stock irons for this technique AFAIK.

Personally, I think you are going in exactly the wrong direction on your optic choice. When you are using a method that is prone is gross gun-eye misalignment, like the sling method, you are going to want as big a window as you can handle to correct that quickly.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    If you're trying to chin weld off the sling SAS-style, all I can say is you're gonna need to dry-fire practice like crazy to make it fast and consistent (which one assumes the SAS also did). The optic height plays into it somewhat, but I doubt that's your real problem - consider that the SAS were just using stock irons for this technique AFAIK.

Personally, I think you are going in exactly the wrong direction on your optic choice. When you are using a method that is prone is gross gun-eye misalignment, like the sling method, you are going to want as big a window as you can handle to correct that quickly.

10-4 I appreciate your advice. I dry fire a lot. A. Lot. I’m more in line trying to talk out a solution. It appears I may be trying to create an answer to a question un-asked. I’ll keep rocking it low pro for now. Just trying to ping pong stuff off of people who may have already gone before me. Thanks, brother!

- Brent

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Christ sakes you’re impossible. Ne’er a shred of advice. Just comment from on high.

I’m not hot to “get my first kill” like you tend to espouse.

- Brent

It was a fcking joke dude. Hence the smiley face.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    10-4 I appreciate your advice. I dry fire a lot. A. Lot. I’m more in line trying to talk out a solution. It appears I may be trying to create an answer to a question un-asked. I’ll keep rocking it low pro for now. Just trying to ping pong stuff off of people who may have already gone before me. Thanks, brother!
    It's not an unreasonable question given the current situation. It's just unfortunate that there are no good answers to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom