• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsnider22

Feb 3, 2012
    Walkersville, MD
    Not sure if this is the correct spot to ask but I'm looking to have an MP5 clone built before the Oct. 1st deadline. Anyone know of any local smiths that can do a high quality MP5 clone build? I know of several places I can send my parts off to and have it done but I'd much rather use someone local if its an option.

seabeeJordan

CAN DO!
    Dec 13, 2012
    You can still buy class3 after oct 1... or are you not looking for SBR... But than what is the point of an MP5 if its not SBR

Trey

Aug 20, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Engage built a nice one for my roommate, however the manufacturer who made the gun they started with (MKE? I think it was) is too busy with military contracts and has not imported any more to the US in a year.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I can vouch for MKE (Turkish state run company licensed to build by HK using HK equipment). I can tell you from experience that they are every bit as good as an HK. ATI stopped importing them because MKE wanted to raise the price quite a bit. Since their primary business is manufacturing military firearms, it was a pain modifying them for civilian sales so they said that they wanted more money per unit so ATI backed out of importing more. If you want Quality without all the fuss, they are the way to go.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    Not sure if this is the correct spot to ask but I'm looking to have an MP5 clone built before the Oct. 1st deadline. Anyone know of any local smiths that can do a high quality MP5 clone build? I know of several places I can send my parts off to and have it done but I'd much rather use someone local if its an option.

Search should still be working:innocent0

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=94733

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I heard about this company 'Getz Firearms' that built some nice looking MP5's, but I can't vouch for their quality, as I don't know them. They are available on www.atlanticfirearms.com, I don't know if the pistol versions are legit to be bought in Maryland.

Getz Firearms has a rather large following on the HKPRO forum. I don't have any personal experience but there's a ton of discussion about their clones.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    you could try to track down a bobcat.

grumpy_no.png

I can vouch for MKE (Turkish state run company licensed to build by HK using HK equipment). I can tell you from experience that they are every bit as good as an HK. ATI stopped importing them because MKE wanted to raise the price quite a bit. Since their primary business is manufacturing military firearms, it was a pain modifying them for civilian sales so they said that they wanted more money per unit so ATI backed out of importing more. If you want Quality without all the fuss, they are the way to go.

YES.

I have an AT-94-A2 I picked up last fall. It is EXCELLENT in terms of fit, finish and especially function. Several hundred rounds so far with no malfunctions other than a couple of crappy mags causing feed problems (GET GENUINE HK MAGS). I am sending my AT-94 to have an RCM Navy barrel installed once I get a Form 1 completed and returned. MP5s are awesome, but they just beg to be the proper size. A welded on fake can may do it... but for me I need a collapsible stock and short barrel!

ypuhepuq.jpg

Stay far away from Coharie/Bobcat/SW. HKPro has plenty of good info. Some other places to consider:

http://dakotatactical.com/webstore/index.php

http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/

jsnider22

Feb 3, 2012
    Walkersville, MD
    I appreciate the advise on the other companies making them but I really want it to be as close to a true German made MP5 as possible so I was going to buy a parts kit and flat and have it built that way.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I appreciate the advise on the other companies making them but I really want it to be as close to a true German made MP5 as possible so I was going to buy a parts kit and flat and have it built that way.

Um... of the companies I mentioned they use HK parts, you can purchase a parts kit such as those from HKparts.net and send it in, they will build whatever configuration you want. I have seen Dakota and IGF builds on LE parts kits that were done amazingly well.

The only way you will get a true HK is to get a machine gun or HK94. 922 (r) requires that rifles built here must have the requisite US parts.

I didn't lose any sleep over getting the Turkish version, it's closer to HK than most clones I've seen. There are small touches like milling of the "humps" to accept a claw mount that many builders stateside do not do, and even when done the claw mounts don't always fit properly.

I don't want to dissuade you from going with an IP, but it's important to keep in mind that no one but HK (and licensed makers like MKE, POF) knows how to build them totally correctly. Like AK builds, they process is learned by reverse engineering and experimentation. The HK Armorer's course is for maintaining and troubleshooting built firearms, not building them from flats.

Do your research and try to actually look at some of these guns in person before buying. There are usually a dozen or so HK builds at the Chantilly shows being sold by different dealers.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom