MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 221

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Drive-by posting?

Maybe an Anti tossing a rock in the water, watching the ripple effect, while feeling smugly gratified that the Master Plan is working?

Simon Templar

Jul 19, 2013
    Sorry for not getting back sooner. Been a crazy week. To answer a few questions. I will be residing in Rockville, and work at NIH. I currently have a Ruger SR-556 and a Walther P99....nothing exotic. I don't have to live in MD, but I felt it was better to be close to work as I tend to get called in at 2am if things go nips up. I have a nice place where I don't have to drive unless I have to go in early. I should be legal well before the new law goes into effect. After I become a legal resident, is there a waiting period before I can purchase a rifle? I can always move to Va when my lease runs out. Thanks for all the info.

Simon

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Sorry for not getting back sooner. Been a crazy week. To answer a few questions. I will be residing in Rockville, and work at NIH. I currently have a Ruger SR-556 and a Walther P99....nothing exotic. I don't have to live in MD, but I felt it was better to be close to work as I tend to get called in at 2am if things go nips up. I have a nice place where I don't have to drive unless I have to go in early. I should be legal well before the new law goes into effect. After I become a legal resident, is there a waiting period before I can purchase a rifle? I can always move to Va when my lease runs out. Thanks for all the info.

Simon

What kind of rifle? Marylands laws are a maze and with the new restrictions going into effect in October the details matter.

You could also live in PA and commute down I-270 to NIH.

g_mars

Mar 22, 2013
    Welcome from Rockville & may God have mercy on your soul...

Only (sort of) kidding!

It's a good thing you won't have to drive, traffic near NIH is awful. MD gun & tax laws do, as you might have heard elsewhere, suck royally and I really wish I'd chosen a different location to settle. My (& especially the better half's) easy commute is the only thing preventing me from high-tailing it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Live in VA and commute by Metro (subway).

Or live in PA and drive then Metro.

You don't want to drive in the Rockville/Bethesda area, especially at rush hour. Which in that area is about 22 hours long.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

^^^^
    This.

Ever since the Feds decided to close half the facilities in the area, and put Walter Reed into Bethesda Naval, it's been total gridlock around NIH (which is across the street from Bethesda Naval, if you weren't aware).

There's a Metro stop right at NIH. While I don't care to trust my commute to public trans, my hours make it impractical anyway. But this is a natural for you. And if you have to drive in at 2AM, you won't have a traffic problem at that time.

I really regret having remained in MD; Virginia is so close you can almost smell it: smells like . . .FREEDOM!

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    You know guys, Sometimes work has to take precedence. I hate this state with a passion but I love my patients more is what it all comes down to. When I retire I will leave MD. NIH does some extremely important research and is staffed by dedicated people. So with that being said, If you can become a resident before October 1st and you have your receipts for the 556 that you should be good to go. If not then leave it somewhere else.I took pictures of the firearms I did not have a receipt of and got it notarized because of the impending law. Read the link to the law. And good luck in your new job.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011

Or live in PA and drive then Metro.

The best advice you'll get.

The only thing I'd add is that the Harpers Ferry area is very pretty, and probably wouldn't be any worse a commute than Virginia or Pennsylvania.

Truly, either option is preferable to moving into Maryland. I've been here all my life, since it was before it became what it is; but I wouldn't move here now no matter what. I'd find a way to commute from another state.

I've thought about it carefully, and I haven't come up with a part of the state that wouldn't be a tolerable commute from Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia. In some areas, you could choose from at least two states.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Harper's Ferry allows you to drive to a commuter train station, ride the train to either Shady Grove or Union Station and Metro to NIH.

You don't have to live in MD to work in MD.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Here's someone who says he *is* moving to Maryland. Start there...welcome him in...do not turn him away, we need the votes!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin (HP Touchpad) using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom