• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Moving to central Florida in a few months. Understand there are black bears around sometimes. Last thing I want to do is take the dog out for late night pee pee and venture upon a lovable mischievous black bear. So in all my research on how to deal with one I have decided to just have 12ga with plain old slugs nearby. I don't want the expense of a 45/70, nor the ability of a round like that going into 10 peoples houses. I am of the opinion that a run of the mill slug would get a bears attention or would you all use a brenneke slug of some sort.
    Thought about 44mag but am hoping the slug would take care of a problem

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Do some more research. You need to worry about running into a skunk (or rabid opossum) 1,000, make that 100,000 times more than an Eastern Black Bear.

99.9% of anytime Black bears anywhere in South Eastern US are gonna do anything possible to get away from a human w a dog - before you even know they were there. And I bet if you talk to your new neighbors they’ll tell you it’s 100% of the time in Central FL …

I have relatives in Ocala and Floral City FL, I’ll give em a call and ask …

15 times in 46 years tho …. “There have only been 15 confirmed bear attacks on humans in Florida since 1976.”

If it helps, we have black bears in our neighborhood, right now, as I type this and my wife carries a 38Spl +P when she take our 20lb Jack Russell-chihuahua mix out into the dark of night (and pre-dawn) darkness.

We have friends in nearby Marion, NC who give the bear in their yard on a nightly basis (they insist on maintaining bird feeders) about as much thought as the deer there also …

Congratulations on your escaping the cesspool the DemonRats have reduced MD to but,

I just wouldn’t wish anyone’s new FL neighbors talking about them, “you heard about that damn yankee carrying a shotgun around here, late at night …

Haha, as Jeff Worthy would say: “If my new FL neighbors talk about me, I miiiiiiiiight be a redneck!”

Last edited:

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Well OK! I am moving to the villages which of course is 20 minutes from Ocala.
    Your biggest concern in the villages should be the other residents. My buddy's parents live there and some of those people are completely nuts. Brawl at the voting booths, people driving drunk, public nudity (gross) etc.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012

Attachments

• 2EC8D409-8F0D-458E-83B4-ABA76D22E3A7.jpeg
      2EC8D409-8F0D-458E-83B4-ABA76D22E3A7.jpeg
      117.6 KB · Views: 80

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012

Attachments

• 177D9A4D-01C6-4907-A66F-1026E7665E18.jpeg
      177D9A4D-01C6-4907-A66F-1026E7665E18.jpeg
      32.3 KB · Views: 68
    • F985EDBC-F27F-410A-9918-E81E2C46CCFC.jpeg
      F985EDBC-F27F-410A-9918-E81E2C46CCFC.jpeg
      41 KB · Views: 70
    • E6A4A17E-415F-48A9-891D-A48D194ADC89.jpeg
      E6A4A17E-415F-48A9-891D-A48D194ADC89.jpeg
      27.8 KB · Views: 59
    • 348ABE45-BA16-4125-982A-699F4510BEFA.jpeg
      348ABE45-BA16-4125-982A-699F4510BEFA.jpeg
      34.4 KB · Views: 63

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The biggest threat to your safety in The Villages would be an STD.

I had a bear within a couple yards of me a few weeks ago while dozing on the porch of the Undisclosed Location. I woke up and was startled and shooed him off like a cat.

In the burbs, you just need to keep your trashcan sealed.

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Regarding the STD's. my wife and I have a house there. When we go certain places, people who have been drinking are very nice to us. Some I am sure have been swingers. Thus the possibility of STD. not that there is anything wrong with the swinger lifestyle. If that is what you are into.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Moving to central Florida in a few months. Understand there are black bears around sometimes. Last thing I want to do is take the dog out for late night pee pee and venture upon a lovable mischievous black bear. So in all my research on how to deal with one I have decided to just have 12ga with plain old slugs nearby. I don't want the expense of a 45/70, nor the ability of a round like that going into 10 peoples houses. I am of the opinion that a run of the mill slug would get a bears attention or would you all use a brenneke slug of some sort.
    Thought about 44mag but am hoping the slug would take care of a problem

The likelihood of a black bear attack is relatively miniscule and they generally flee when they see you. That said, attacks when a human and dog are present tend to happen more when the dog is off leash. Similar to this bear attack in Frederick County two years ago:

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/n...cle_1378fcb1-b10e-509b-bf74-25c35781f011.html

Bears are not uncommon here, particularly at night, so we always take the dog out on a leash once the sun and visibility goes down. The probability of an attack is low, but is still non-zero. We've had them in the fenced in area before at night. In the summer months, leashing also helps us keep control of the dog should a copperhead be encountered at night when they're most active. I'd be more worried about a venomous nope-rope encounter in Florida than one with a bear. Cottonmouths can be some ornery bastiges. A flash light and situational awareness are the best medicine for snakes though.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Black bears are pretty skittish your dog is likely to scare them off long before you'll ever even see them. We have a momma bear that comes every spring with a cub, some years twins, and feeds on the wild berries that grow behind my chicken coop. Usually all I see is their hind ends as they hightail it farther up the mountain. The avg black bear is about the size of the avg male human so whatever your ccw of choice is would suffice. If your really worried about it get some bear spray and carry that while on your walks. Carrying around a shotgun everytime fido wants to go for a walk would get old pretty fast I think.

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Just to clarify. Was not going to walk outside with a shotgun. Was going to have it handy inside. Was probably going outside with bear spray.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    My sister used to live in Heathrow, FL outside Orlando.
    They had problems with bears getting in the trash.

Whatever Florida's version of DNR is came and trapped them and relocated them.

They used Dunkin Donuts for bait in the trap.

Her fireman boyfriend asked them if they were trying to catch a bear or cops.

They weren't amused.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    As others said, the likelihood of a problem with a bear is low. Low isn't zero of course, so I understand wanting to be prepared. Since you want to be prepared when walking the dog, I'm thinking a handgun instead of a shotgun though, plus maybe some bear strength pepper spray. I like camping and the outdoors, most of what I read, bear strength spray is good stuff and pretty effective. On the East Coast, most black bears are about the size of a large man. Most handgun calibers suitable for stopping a two legged attacker should work for bear, though you want to go for higher penetration than you would need for human attackers. Personally, I'd want something relatively heavy and high velocity. 180gr or 158gr .357mag, 180gr .40S&W or 10mm would be my top choices. Though, a 9mm should do it for most black bear as well from what I've been reading lately (I'd probably go with an "outdoors" load from Buffalo Bore or similar though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom