• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silver Fox

Sep 14, 2011
    Central Maryland
    So I have a friend who is moving out of Maryland to a gun friendly southern state. He wants to know if he needs to notify anyone in the state of Maryland that he is moving and taking his legally own guns with him. Any help is appreciated.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    So I have a friend who is moving out of Maryland to a gun friendly southern state. He wants to know if he needs to notify anyone in the state of Maryland that he is moving and taking his legally own guns with him. Any help is appreciated.
    No notice whatsoever is needed. Make sure to obey laws when moving (if they are traveling through states with specific handgun or rifle laws, stay on federal roads).

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Run like hell...

3 years I too will be exiting as fast as possible. Congrats to your buddy.

Silver Fox

Sep 14, 2011
    Central Maryland
    No notice whatsoever is needed. Make sure to obey laws when moving (if they are traveling through states with specific handgun or rifle laws, stay on federal roads).
    So if he or she or… is traveling to South Carolina all he/she/or, needs to do is keep weapons packed in “boxes” and not loaded in the covered pick up bed it should be good travels, from what I can see in the 3 states Va, NC and SC, correct?

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    So if he or she or… is traveling to South Carolina all he/she/or, needs to do is keep weapons packed in “boxes” and not loaded in the covered pick up bed it should be good travels, from what I can see in the 3 states Va, NC and SC, correct?
    That would be best. I don’t know the actual laws but the safest and smartest move is boxes that are locked or secured in some way. Gun bag, gun cases etc. it may be legal to have a pile of guns in your truck bed but if they get pulled over it won’t be an easy conversation with the police officers.

Also be familiar with need to notify police officers if you have guns in your car. You may not need to, and it’s annoying to have to think about it, but some states require you to notify a police officer you have a few firearms in the car if you are stopped by a police officer.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Just pay your exit fee at the Henry Nice Bridge and tell Maryland to KISS YOUR A$$/Tax MONEY GOODBYE!

Congrats and another one has escaped the Maryland Gulag :rolleyes:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    That would be best. I don’t know the actual laws but the safest and smartest move is boxes that are locked or secured in some way. Gun bag, gun cases etc. it may be legal to have a pile of guns in your truck bed but if they get pulled over it won’t be an easy conversation with the police officers.

Also be familiar with need to notify police officers if you have guns in your car. You may not need to, and it’s annoying to have to think about it, but some states require you to notify a police officer you have a few firearms in the car if you are stopped by a police officer.
    NO. There is no need to notify police that you have firearms in the vehicle. The only exception would be if he is carrying and that particular state has a duty to notify.
    Follow FOPA rules and you should be fine.
    He doesn't need to stay on federal roads either.
    Never admit to having firearms when stopped by the police. Never consent to a search. Know your rights.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If this sort of thing continues, the MD GA will be forced to establish an Exit Visa program, and tax you on the value of any property you obtained while living in Maryland that you intend to remove from the state.

You read it here first.

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    Congrats to your friend. I left 8 years ago and carefully loaded my firearms unloaded, wrapped in bubble wrap and stacked in boxes in the back of truck with no issues. I agree with the prior folks no notice to the Peoples Republic when departing necessary. The only LEO notification required in this State is if it is legally concealed or readily accessible to anyone in the vehicle.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Yes, he needs to call:

1) MSP Licensing & Permits Division
    2) Gov. Lardy Hogan’s office;
    3) as many #’s to the MD Gen’l Assembly as time allows; and,

impart the same message:

Fvck off maddafakkas!!!!

Super colossal Congratulations to your friend!

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Yes. You ship them a box of dog shit.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If this sort of thing continues, the MD GA will be forced to establish an Exit Visa program, and tax you on the value of any property you obtained while living in Maryland that you intend to remove from the state.

You read it here first.
    Don't give them any ideas!!!!

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Luck to your friend

no notification necessary or recommended

word to the wise, stopping/spending the night while “moving” (with valuables) is increasingly risky. LOTS OF THEFT at hotels, against folks who appear to be from out of state and burdened with their valuables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom