• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I was at Cindy's the other morning (super nice place and staff, BTW) and overheard half of a phone conversation with an employee and some random caller. The caller wanted to know if he/she would be allowed to shoot in the prone position. Most of the staff, as well as those of us waiting for lanes were amused and surprised that anybody would even think about laying on the floor to shoot at a 25 yard target. Especially with the knowledge of what was likely on that floor after tens of thousands of rounds.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I was at Cindy's the other morning (super nice place and staff, BTW) and overheard half of a phone conversation with an employee and some random caller. The caller wanted to know if he/she would be allowed to shoot in the prone position. Most of the staff, as well as those of us waiting for lanes were amused and surprised that anybody would even think about laying on the floor to shoot at a 25 yard target. Especially with the knowledge of what was likely on that floor after tens of thousands of rounds.
    I have seen small bore competition shooters shooting prone at indoor ranges.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    At face value that seems like an odd request. But, I'll throw this out there. The military still requires shooting from the prone position as part of the pistol qualification table (required for officers). So, perhaps it was a young officer stationed locally that was trying to improve their marksmanship abilities on their free time?

(likely not but you never know)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I only shoot prone. I have never fired a gun in any other position.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****I've taken pistol classes where we had to shoot from the prone position, side position, getting knocked on your ass position, and dominant/non-dominant hand shooting around barriers and such - sometimes prone as well. Distance varied, but usually the targets were less than 20 yards away as we were indoors.

What's on the floor after tens of thousands of rounds at a gun range worries me much less than what's on the ground of a private room at a strip club after guys have shot off tens of thousands of their rounds! :shocked3:

Sticky... Don't bring your best shoes...Below pic is of a gun range, not a strip club.. Second and third pics are of a strip club.. :)
    IMG_6140.jpg

strip.jpg
    strip2.jpg

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    ***** What's on the floor after tens of thousands of rounds at a gun range worries me much less than what's on the ground of a private room at a strip club after guys have shot off tens of thousands of their rounds! :shocked3:

Ewwwww!

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I've taken it even more ridiculous where I've been on my back practicing off hand, seated, movement/retreating, whatever I felt like doing

What the deal is Im a member of two different PA clubs and whenever I show up there's no one else there. Literally the only person at this entire club.

It's amusing though and utterly ridiculous to practice any of that since all of us have watched the countless OIS bodycams/tik tok/IG of criminal suspects to know that they stand still and you'll always be on two feet and able to shoot 1 round every 5 seconds to defend yourself.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    The first time I ever went to a range, I rented a gun from them and bought some of their ammo to go shoot at their range. I had a ton of trouble loading the rounds into the chamber so I could fire it. I went to find an employee for help and it turns out they sold me the wrong sized ammunition for the gun I rented. Thankfully, it was too big (rather than too small) so didn't fit into the chamber.

Of course they started screaming at me for being dumb. I pointed out to them that I rented the gun from their employee and bought the ammunition for it from the same person. They shut up pretty quickly.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. Theirs a 300 yd berm there. Plenty of benches/room for prone. Its a local club.
    *****Having been an RSO and an NRA Instructor for some years now, I can assure you that there are some gun owners that no matter how big or close the target may be, they can and do miss it - rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc..

Almost always, good instruction and some drills and practice can improve just about anyone, but some people take a bit longer before they are even reasonably proficient shooting even at closer distances almost regardless of the firearm used.

The range I belong to has positions on the rifle range designed for prone shooting (nice concrete pad as well as a flip top flag to let other shooters on the range know someone is shooting prone and may be hard to see, etc..). We have a few competitive shooters that shoot their match .22lr rifles from the prone position at our 25-50 yard pistol ranges, sometimes a bit closer when they are doing some drills - mebbe other ranges allow this as well for smaller caliber .22lr type rifles at closer distances.

Never seen anyone shoot their Barrett M82A1 .50cal with Schmidt and Bender 10X scope at the 25 yard range, but perhaps some people just wanna work their way up from the 25 yard range to the uhhh... 1000 yard range... :lol:

barry.jpg

Sirex