• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    So if I bought one of these guns, could I also buy a longer vent rib barrel and swap it on if I wanted to take it out for some sporting clays? Or is the body of the gun set up to only accept that heavier barrel? Has mossberg done anything goofy with their magazine tubes like Remington recently that makes their field and HD guns non-interchangeable on the barrel front?

Yes. The 590A1 with a 5-shell tube (like I linked to in my previous post) uses Mossberg 835 barrels. Do not use 3.5" shells. The perfect 835 barrel for what you're asking about is 90831 (28" VR, parkerized, ported, front and mid beads, screw-in chokes).
    https://www.mossberg.com/cgi-bin/co...tes\BW-Center\SearchResult.html&category=B835

A guy here did it. Looks great.
    http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1203

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Like what? I thought the only difference was magazine tube design, and bayonet lug.

Here are the differences I know about. There may be more.

1. Parkerized Finish
    2. Anodized Finish on Receiver
    3. Dual Claw extractor
    4. Thicker walled barrel
    5. Metal trigger guard and safety instead of plastic

Could be more. I don't know. I do know that the 590A1 is the only one built to Mil-Spec. It's just a better built gun.

aemik

Jan 4, 2013
    Baltimore
    Yes. The 590A1 with a 5-shell tube (like I linked to in my previous post) uses Mossberg 835 barrels. Do not use 3.5" shells. The perfect 835 barrel for what you're asking about is 90831 (28" VR, parkerized, ported, front and mid beads, screw-in chokes).
    https://www.mossberg.com/cgi-bin/co...tes\BW-Center\SearchResult.html&category=B835

A guy here did it. Looks great.
    http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1203

Thanks much - that's exactly what I wanted to know. I am somewhat loathe to keep a gun around just as a HD weapon - being able to pop the longer barrel on and take it out for some exercise would be great. That being said I've never really tried to shoot clays with an 18.5" barrel - my skill level is such that it might not make that much difference...

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    A lot of clay ranges will not let you onto the field with an 18.5" barrel. Even for those ranges that do, you'll end up with a much too wide/open pattern for consistent hits. Frustration is guaranteed.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325723488

Im just waiting ot hear back fromt he seller that they got a copy of my FFL's info and have it ready to ship....

Not bad. I just picked up my 590A1 a couple weeks ago from the Gun Connection. It is the same exact set up as that with the Speed Feed stock and Ghost Ring Sights. The only difference is I went with the 20in. +8 shot mag. I paid $550 out the door. I thought it was a pretty good price. I am already getting rid of the speed feed stock though. It's not that I don't like it. I would just rather use a side saddle and I'm a sucker for AR stocks with a recoil buffer. I don't like the recoil reducing stocks with spring systems though. They cause to much muzzle whip.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    yeah, Im not too sure how I feel about the "speedfeed" stock either but, unless I find one for sale CHEAP for a regular, I'll just wait for Magpul to do a set. I can't see how they won't jump on it. Especially if the AR platform gets restricted coming up.

Bobb

Mar 10, 2021
    590A1 availability

Does anyone know who has the 590A1 in stock?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Does anyone know who has the 590A1 in stock?
    Thanks in advance.

One helluva first post. This thread is from 2013. You'd have more luck posting in the Depot or WTB forums.

Attachments

• Zombie thread.jpg
      Zombie thread.jpg
      9.3 KB · Views: 232
    Last edited:

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Here are the differences I know about. There may be more.

1. Parkerized Finish
    2. Anodized Finish on Receiver
    3. Dual Claw extractor
    4. Thicker walled barrel
    5. Metal trigger guard and safety instead of plastic

Could be more. I don't know. I do know that the 590A1 is the only one built to Mil-Spec. It's just a better built gun.
    I know thread is 8 years old but he meant differences between the 590 and the 500, not 590 and 590A1.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well he did wait 5.5 months after joining to post :) .

But seriously Bobb , Welcome !
    Stop by the Introducts so we can get to know you , and extend greetings and salutations .

And it would be appropriate and productive for you to start a thread in The Depot , or possibly Shotguns for this .

But hey , someone did actually use the Search feature , apparently successfully .

Bobb

Mar 10, 2021
    Thanks for your reply. And i am obviously new to this forum and in fact all forums. I will go to introductions as you suggested. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom