• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Ok, I posted earlier that I picked up a M39, at the MACA show. I just got a chance to really look over this rifle last night. I have a set of headspace gauges, and it closed on the field gauge.....NO!

I know that they headspace on the rim. I took the bolt head from another rifle that I know the headspace is go on, and put it on the bolt from the M39, and now the rifle's headspace is fine. I put the bolt head in question on several of my other Mosins, and they would all close on the Field gauge. I now know that this bolt head is no good/out of spec.

My question is do you think I can just purchase another bolt head, to fix this issue so all of my rifles will be functional?

Let me know, thanks

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I agree with just replacing the bolt head. But I'm wondering how many bolt heads I will have to purchase before I find one that works. Hopefully just one.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    When it comes to headspace on old military rifles I just shoot the thing, if the brass looks fine I don't worry about it. In all the years I've done it this way I've only found 1 rifle that swelled the brass excessively and that was a Japanese school rifle.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Too much headspace and the firing pin may not activate the primer. I have an Enfield and it passes field but not the no go
    It stretches the brass and depending on the brand I may only get 4 reloads out of it.

A split case stuck in the chamber is nasty and you need a removal tool

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I received my bolt head in the mail today, it now head spaces correctly. Got a stripped bolt head from eBay for $12 shipped. Cheap and easy fix. Now all of my Mosin's are good to go.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Too much headspace and the firing pin may not activate the primer. I have an Enfield and it passes field but not the no go
    It stretches the brass and depending on the brand I may only get 4 reloads out of it.

A split case stuck in the chamber is nasty and you need a removal tool

Sorry this is an old thread, I was gone a while.

Are you neck sizing the 303 brass? Mine is really hard on them, but I get decent life if I just neck size.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Sorry this is an old thread, I was gone a while.

Are you neck sizing the 303 brass? Mine is really hard on them, but I get decent life if I just neck size.

Yes, I"m neck sizing them. Have not shot the Enfield in over a year though.
    Remington brass sucks and PPU is better.
    New cases I did the small rubber band trick to fire form them better.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Yes, I"m neck sizing them. Have not shot the Enfield in over a year though.
    Remington brass sucks and PPU is better.
    New cases I did the small rubber band trick to fire form them better.

I figured you were but thought I would suggest it just in case. I need to try the O ring trick. I use PPU almost exclusively since I'm close to Grafs and they carry the whole line. It's good stuff and much cheaper than Norma which is the only other company I see offering the obscure calibers.

I bought a bunch of gnarly Greek 303 from CTD a while back, so far it's been decent brass, although very ugly. It was really cheap, one of those deals I don't fall into very often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom