• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    This is a basic accurizing kit for the Mosin-Nagant.

Mosin%20Accurizing%20Kit%20wtrmrk.jpg

This is the first basic accurizing kit and will work for the majority of the Russian and Chinese Mosin-Nagant rifles and carbines out there.

Included:

•1 front and 1 rear shim. These are thick and eliminate random pressure points in the stock bedding.

•1 recoil lug shim. This keeps your Mosin's action tight against the recoil lug in its stock, providing repeatability shot-to-shot. An added benefit is that the screws don't absorb the recoil and so stay tight.

•One barrel pressure pad. Taming barrel harmonics is essential to precision and accuracy.

•Instructions are included.

The tang shim is smaller than is usually seen, and the shims that should be steel, are, with the recoil lug shim being brass.

The pressure point is thin, oiled gasket stock, but I may change this to slightly thicker cork gasket. The fiber gasket just holds oil better and should work for the majority of people.

What do you think?

Regards,

Josh

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    (new mosin owner) im confused, how do these parts help accuracy? arent the barrel, sights and shooter the key parts to accuracy? again, new mosin owner..

In general, your basic mosin is good to hit the broad side of a barn. That's a lot of barrel flopping around in a lot of wood furniture with an (often) somewhat loose action creating accuracy issues. Floating the barrel and bedding or shimming the action help greatly.

Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    Somebody on gunboards is selling a similar kit, but the metal shims are much thinner.

Mine are made to serve the average shooter best, with a minimum of tinkering.

They're based on the study of Finnish techniques and on the results of over to years experimentation.

The gent from Gunboards certainly has a more authentic kit, but I feel mine will serve the average shooter best:

1. Install the shims.

2. Tighten the front and rear screws to approximately the same tightness.

3. Fire a five-shot group and record results.

4. Back the rear screw off a little (5in-lbs at a time, if you have a torque driver; 1/4 turn or so if you do not)

5. Repeat steps 3 and four until you find the sweet spot for your rifle. You'll get to a point where the groups begin to open up again; when you see this, tighten the rear screw back 1/4 turn and leave it there.

It's all about tuning for harmonics. I love that kit that the Gunboards gent is making, but in all honesty, do you want to mess with all those shims, or shoot the rifle? As well, his kit has a third pressure point as he uses a behind-the-lug shim instead of going right underneath with a hole for the screw to pass through.

Most Mosins will not have the magazine touching the receiver when shimmed at the top; if you have one that does, you probably should replace the stock.

In my opinion, the recoil lug shim is probably the most essential shim in the whole kit. He should probably add one. I haven't seen many, if any, historically placed in front of the lugs. I borrowed that idea from reading about accurizing techniques for other rifles.

Regards,

Josh

BunkerKing

5.56 ammo horder. . .
    Jun 5, 2012
    Land of the O's
    I don't shoot my M44 much, but off a bench I get a decent group (ringing a 6in steel plate)@ 100 yards for being an open sight carbine. And that's using cheap surplus ammo. I don't know if I have a unicorn, but I have no complaints about my accuracy. But I'm willing to try this out to see if it further aids accuracy.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't shoot my M44 much, but off a bench I get a decent group (ringing a 6in steel plate)@ 100 yards for being an open sight carbine. And that's using cheap surplus ammo. I don't know if I have a unicorn, but I have no complaints about my accuracy. But I'm willing to try this out to see if it further aids accuracy.

I'm in the same boat with my '42 91/30.

Open sights with bayonet attached, can ring a sub 6" plate all day with 147gr surplus. But I'd be interested in seeing if there's more to be had out of it.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I'd certainly be interested. My 35hex is fairly accurate, I can hit an 8" target at 300 with the irons, but I have to shoot about a foot or so high right.

Perhaps floating the barrel could dial it in even more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sirex