• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Not maintained by Maryland General Services, but rather the Maryland University system, as such it is NOT State property as defined by state statute for carry.
    Who actually owns the Morgan State property? It’s not very clear from googling around but it literally has “State” in the name.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    1676936986594.png

1676937029897.png

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The "great" State of MD.
    Yes, the State of Maryland owns Morgan State, the issue is what department of the State Government maintains the property that is Morgan State.

The answer to that is the University System of Maryland.
    The relevant COMAR that everyone refers to for "state property" is 04.05.01.03

04 = General Services Administration, thus the regulation applies to all MDGSA properties.

Since Universities are controlled by the University System of Maryland, under the Maryland Higher Education Commission, those regulation would be under section 13 = Maryland Higher Education Commission

Therefore, the "no firearms on state property" DOES NOT apply to colleges and universities.

If it was already illegal to carry on Institutions of Higher Education, then the House would not have tried to make it illegal to do so by submitting HB1002 back in 2016. (It failed by the way).

So, carrying a firearm on Morgan State, or any other Maryland owned Univeristy is NOT prohibited by state statute of any type.

Definitions in State Statute mean something, and in this case it means that the only Maryland State property off limits, is that property controlled by MDGSA, not the University System of Maryland.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    The Maryland website says you cannot carry:

“In or around State-owned public buildings and grounds”

The state of Maryland owns Morgan State.

The website could be wrong but I’d need a lot of evidence to the contrary.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living

@dblas just gave it to us.

The web people appeared to have failed to read "definitions" in the statute at best or simply inserted their own wishful thinking at worst.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Did you not read what I posted just above your post?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    An anonymous person on the internet is not as credible as an official website. Not saying the website is right, just that it’s more credible.
    And actual state law, which I sited is even more credible than the MSP web site full of incorrect information, in the hopes that the sheep will simply follow what is on the website. After all the MSP is the foremost expert on all things carry in Maryland.
    You follow mis-information, I'll follow the actual law as written, not as opined on by MSP.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    The COMAR isn't anonymous .
    COmAR says you can’t carry on state property my dude. I get that someone is arguing that state universities are not state property under some other section of COMAR, that’s for the lawyers to sort out. Is there any public body that agrees with that interpretation?

I don’t go so Morgan state so I really DGAF if you all carry there or not.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    COmAR says you can’t carry on state property my dude. I get that someone is arguing that state universities are not state property under some other section of COMAR, that’s for the lawyers to sort out. Is there any public body that agrees with that interpretation?

I don’t go so Morgan state so I really DGAF if you all carry there or not.

I’d trust someone that has worked for a legislator in Annapolis and understands how MD code is written and applied over someone at MSP.
    Call MSP 3 times with the same question and you’ll probably get 3 different answers. They routinely give out incorrect information.
    He noted the applicable sections of the code and you’d still rather believe an MSP website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom